Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what is this....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
craig3x
Click to view attachment

what is this (the yellowish bushing thing) and should it be replaced? How do you get it off without damaging it? What else should be replaced when doing a tranny swap? Gaskets I will need? (my clutch is good)
Also, does anyone have pictures of the shift bushings, and where they are located? Sorry, I'm a newb. Thanks!
Gint
It's a bushing thing and should be replaced if it's worn. Is it sloppy on the ball?
craig3x
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 7 2009, 05:42 PM) *

It's a bushing thing and should be replaced if it's worn. Is it sloppy on the ball?

doesn't seem to be sloppy. Is this the "shifter bushing"? I thought there were more
raw1298
Is that a V8 I see peeking in front of the tranny?
zonedoubt
There's the ball cup one in the photo, the one where the rod goes in the rear (also seen in the photo), and one where the rod goes into the firewall (a bitch to get out).

Read this: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ift_improve.htm
poorsche914
And don't forget the two in the shift coupler just aft of the firewall. Mine were totally gone when I checked. Added the bushings and the major slop is gone.

IPB Image
Dr Evil
Follow the links posted and in my rebuild thread. I replied to your emails, but the folks here are amply qualified to answer your questions as they stand right now. If you dont know where the shift bushings are then you really need to read up before you progress. Read first, wrench later. Check the manual, and all of the resources that have been provided so you dont mess things up in the process. You didnt mention in your email that you had a non stock engine in there, it would have changed my recommendation of what to do with your current tranz situation. You can do much of this work yourself, but be smart about how you progress. I know it is hard as it gets exciting and you just want to get going and keep going on the project.
craig3x
QUOTE(raw1298 @ Jun 7 2009, 08:26 PM) *

HaHa...not a V-8....but a ported rotary engine. I didn't want to reveal that in case there are conversion haters lurking in the forums.

Hey Doc, why would my engine change your recommendations. I'm only at about 200 hp. I heard the 901s are good for up to 300. Also...I do read instructions, but they aren't always clear to me. So I like to ask people who have been there, done that. And I love pictures!!! Sorry for being a newb, but things will change. Now as for the rotary engine....those are my fortay. So if you have rotary questions...feel free to ask!
craig3x

just noticed you're from sacramento....me too! drunk.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(craig3x @ Jun 8 2009, 08:52 PM) *

HaHa...not a V-8....but a ported rotary engine. I didn't want to reveal that in case there are conversion haters lurking in the forums.

Hey Doc, why would my engine change your recommendations. I'm only at about 200 hp. I heard the 901s are good for up to 300. Also...I do read instructions, but they aren't always clear to me. So I like to ask people who have been there, done that. And I love pictures!!! Sorry for being a newb, but things will change. Now as for the rotary engine....those are my fortay. So if you have rotary questions...feel free to ask!

If it was a V8 it would have changed my recommendations, but a rotary is fine in stock form. What I am trying to communicate to you is to ask the questions before you start pulling things apart. You already have started pulling the tranny and the questions you are asking are a bit later than optimal. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to keep you out of trouble wink.gif

Pics are great thumb3d.gif
craig3x
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jun 7 2009, 08:59 PM) *

And don't forget the two in the shift coupler just aft of the firewall. Mine were totally gone when I checked. Added the bushings and the major slop is gone.

IPB Image

mine were totally gone too, and the firewall bushing was popped out and cracked. I really hope this solves my grinding into 2nd problem and not being able to find 4th or 5th
justme
QUOTE(craig3x @ Jun 7 2009, 04:33 PM) *

Click to view attachment

what is this (the yellowish bushing thing) and should it be replaced? How do you get it off without damaging it? What else should be replaced when doing a tranny swap? Gaskets I will need? (my clutch is good)
Also, does anyone have pictures of the shift bushings, and where they are located? Sorry, I'm a newb. Thanks!

looks like a linkage problem to me av-943.gif
Dr Evil
Dude, post the pic you sent me of the fire wall and joint bushing. I would say you will now find 4, 5 and 2nd wink.gif
craig3x
ok, now people can laugh at me. hey, I'm new to these trannys and needing to adjust linkage. My background is in the rotarys and water cooled engines. But I am learning.
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 8 2009, 08:23 PM) *

Dude, post the pic you sent me of the fire wall and joint bushing. I would say you will now find 4, 5 and 2nd wink.gif

craig3x
Here is quick peek at my powerplant. That is not an oil cooler on the left. It is a heater core out of a ford so that I can still have heat. The oil cooler and radiator are mounted up front.

Click to view attachment

Gint
QUOTE(craig3x @ Jun 8 2009, 08:34 PM) *
ok, now people can laugh at me. hey, I'm new to these trannys and needing to adjust linkage. My background is in the rotarys and water cooled engines. But I am learning.
Click to view attachment

Not laughing. That coupler bushing is toast. That's why you need to check and replace the shift rod bushings as required. From my own experience, that coupler busing broken up and gone will pretty much leave you with just maybe 2nd and 3rd. Finding 4 and 5 would be next to impossible. BTDT

You're on the right track.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 8 2009, 09:10 PM) *
That coupler bushing is toast.

What coupler bushing? I don't even see the remains of a bushing in there...

--DD
Gint
I thought I saw a bit o bushing in there. Whatever... I think the point was made.
tat2dphreak
What coupler bushing? I don't even see the remains of a bushing in there...

DAMN! with new bushings you won't believe the difference... mine weren't that bad, and when I replaced them, I couldn't believe the difference!

get the bushing that goes to the firewall, too... that one fucking sucks to install... sorry about the language, but that's how bad it is to install.. but it is well worth it while you are in there... bushings are probably the cheapest and most enjoyable 'upgrades' to a 914's shifting.

the worst ones for mine were the firewall, and the cup at the tranny... the middle ones were 'ok' and bushings made the shifting feel much more gated... very nice compared.
McMark
What! Two Sacramento guys? Are you guys coming to the Porsche Family Reunion later this month?

But back on topic, you need a new firewall bushing and new shift couple bushings. If you come to the PFR this month, you can bring your shift rod and I'll replace the coupler bushings for you.
ericread
QUOTE(craig3x @ Jun 8 2009, 08:17 PM) *

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jun 7 2009, 08:59 PM) *

IPB Image

mine were totally gone too, and the firewall bushing was popped out and cracked. I really hope this solves my grinding into 2nd problem and not being able to find 4th or 5th

Sorry about the Hijack, but exactly do you change these bushings? I've got the parts, but I can't figure how to get the old ones out/new ones in???

Thanks,

Eric Read
craig3x
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 9 2009, 12:15 PM) *
Sorry about the Hijack, but exactly do you change these bushings? I've got the parts, but I can't figure how to get the old ones out/new ones in???

Thanks,

Eric Read

Good question! Help?
craig3x
so.... does anyone have good ideas on how to install coupler and firewall bushings without headaches?
dlee6204
When I replaced my coupler bushings I just drove the center pin out with a hammer and then the coupler came apart in two pieces. I installed the new bushings, put the two pieces back together and drove the center pin back in.
FourBlades
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jun 10 2009, 11:22 AM) *

When I replaced my coupler bushings I just drove the center pin out with a hammer and then the coupler came apart in two pieces. I installed the new bushings, put the two pieces back together and drove the center pin back in.

I was wondering how to do that as well... piratenanner.gif

Did not know the pin came out... blink.gif

John
tat2dphreak
the fire wall isn't tricky, just a pain... I used a nut with a big washer(thick one that I think came off a tranny mount, I think) and a big bolt that had threads all the way... this made kind of a red-neck press... I finally got it to go in like that... but you have to get it in flat, not at an angle, because if you get it at an angle, you'll never get the other part in...

mine MIGHT have been harder since I was using the early body-to-side shift bushing... used to put a side shift tranny in a tail shift car... but the stock one is probably the same, just a different ID, IIRC
craig3x
Easy trick to installing the firewall bushing.......I put the bushing in some boiling water for about 45 seconds. That made it softer and it popped right in with just the palm of my hand. beer.gif
Dr Evil
Pretty good trick for a noob. wink.gif That is how I do it.
ericread
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jun 10 2009, 11:22 AM) *

Is the center pin "keyed"? In other words, does it pound out from a specific side, or can I pound on either of the sides to get the pin out?

My thanks in advance

Eric
dlee6204
It should be able to be driven out from either side. Here is a pic of the three pieces if that helps at all.

Click to view attachment
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(craig3x @ Jun 10 2009, 08:09 PM) *

Easy trick to installing the firewall bushing.......I put the bushing in some boiling water for about 45 seconds. That made it softer and it popped right in with just the palm of my hand. beer.gif

I was also going to mention that it helps if you remove the shaft from the shift tunnel. Disconnect it from the shifter and pull it forward, pretty easy. Gives you more "squishing" room when you have to pop the firewall bushing in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.