Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "To Order or Not to Order"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
914runnow
Below is a yearly short novel I do for our local 914 group.....I posted this about two weeks ago .....I wanted to get my other pieces from Porsche before I posted this here...my new top and bottom hood latches for the front trunk are not too stellar , both have bin rash and different color gold plating>Hey partz is partz...
BUT I got them. The Concour aspect as I have said below, is fading away fast..
SO NOW THE REST OF THE STORY::::(from my local group)..
I will make this one a bit shorter this year..
For you newbies, I usually have my long yearly BLIP about Porsche and parts,
and them not caring about our cars,UNLESS it equates to LARGE Profits.....
Since 1994 I have seen additions of a FEW parts come back around..
But most disappear..Dashes/interior bolsters are gone now to be recovered...
Rear and T/S bucket lenses are now repros...And more stuff going to India-
Turkey China South America for mfr.......
Rubber although has gone down thanx to Mikey 914, and James at 914 Appearance for interior goddies...I guess there is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel...Some of our Non Dealer folks...Auto Atlanata-Perf. Prods-etc....have certain stock piles of parts..but given the next few years and a bounce back in the economy....those will be bye bye too.....
evil Bay will have NOS parts from X Owners with parts around and no car..
Or repair shops that get bought out and these parts get sold to highest bidder....
Our WORLD Board can come up from time to time with some great buys or deals.!!
Next...Some folks are >Replating Parts< and selling those.....I will eventially do the same....but my point..it is still used and has wear,,,,,,
so latches, catches, etc. will still be worn...
Which brings me to the Crux of this mini novel...
Recently I ordered from Stoddard a engine lid latch for my 75 project...
(as Kevin said it is no longer a Grocery Getter)
It was in Germany and took a week to get it..thatz fine no biggie...
BUT when I got it, (91451202910) the date sticker was 7/21/87..
So being the geek I am....Called Stoddards with concern..
>>>>Germany has 6 left, then that part is retired..!!!<<<<<<<
(and I am still waiting for my front trunk latches)...from Germany....(fingerz crossed)..
Concour folks in the future will have to settle for not new or non OEM......
Even the Really nice driver or Restored 914 cars will have to settle for less....
OR eventually it will be too Damn expensive to fix/repair/restore these cars..
(Really a Grand for a new 2.0 MPS)...??!! Or a Grand for a 2.0 Mahle P/C set..??!!
So in closing,prices are going up and new parts are going away....
"To Order or Not to Order"......??

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914runnow @ Jun 7 2009, 07:34 PM) *

Below is a yearly short novel I do for our local 914 group.....I posted this about two weeks ago .....I wanted to get my other pieces from Porsche before I posted this here...my new top and bottom hood latches for the front trunk are not too stellar , both have bin rash and different color gold plating>Hey partz is partz...
BUT I got them. The Concour aspect as I have said below, is fading away fast..
SO NOW THE REST OF THE STORY::::(from my local group)..
I will make this one a bit shorter this year..
For you newbies, I usually have my long yearly BLIP about Porsche and parts,
and them not caring about our cars,UNLESS it equates to LARGE Profits.....
Since 1994 I have seen additions of a FEW parts come back around..
But most disappear..Dashes/interior bolsters are gone now to be recovered...
Rear and T/S bucket lenses are now repros...And more stuff going to India-
Turkey China South America for mfr.......
Rubber although has gone down thanx to Mikey 914, and James at 914 Appearance for interior goddies...I guess there is a bit of light at the end of the tunnel...Some of our Non Dealer folks...Auto Atlanata-Perf. Prods-etc....have certain stock piles of parts..but given the next few years and a bounce back in the economy....those will be bye bye too.....
evil Bay will have NOS parts from X Owners with parts around and no car..
Or repair shops that get bought out and these parts get sold to highest bidder....
Our WORLD Board can come up from time to time with some great buys or deals.!!
Next...Some folks are >Replating Parts< and selling those.....I will eventially do the same....but my point..it is still used and has wear,,,,,,
so latches, catches, etc. will still be worn...
Which brings me to the Crux of this mini novel...
Recently I ordered from Stoddard a engine lid latch for my 75 project...
(as Kevin said it is no longer a Grocery Getter)
It was in Germany and took a week to get it..thatz fine no biggie...
BUT when I got it, (91451202910) the date sticker was 7/21/87..
So being the geek I am....Called Stoddards with concern..
>>>>Germany has 6 left, then that part is retired..!!!<<<<<<<
(and I am still waiting for my front trunk latches)...from Germany....(fingerz crossed)..
Concour folks in the future will have to settle for not new or non OEM......
Even the Really nice driver or Restored 914 cars will have to settle for less....
OR eventually it will be too Damn expensive to fix/repair/restore these cars..
(Really a Grand for a new 2.0 MPS)...??!! Or a Grand for a 2.0 Mahle P/C set..??!!
So in closing,prices are going up and new parts are going away....
"To Order or Not to Order"......??

You know, many (many) of these original parts are still available. Yep, they may be dirty. Yep they may need to be replated. Regardless, they are still out there.

Concours folks will NOT have to settler for non OEM parts because there are plenty of 914's being dismantled every day for parts. Yeay, you may have to clean/refurbish these parts, but most are pretty hardy.

Look, the 914 is a minimum of 33 years old. Yes, lots of NEW parts are NLA. Some are being remanufactured by stalwarts who are probably losing thier shirts, but they are believers.

Believe me, as a severe CW, ou can find gems if you're patient. May take years, but those puppies eventually surface. Just keep looking.
Pat
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 7 2009, 10:07 PM) *

You know, many (many) of these original parts are still available. Yep, they may be dirty. Yep they may need to be replated. Regardless, they are still out there.

Concours folks will NOT have to settler for non OEM parts because there are plenty of 914's being dismantled every day for parts. Yeay, you may have to clean/refurbish these parts, but most are pretty hardy.

Look, the 914 is a minimum of 33 years old. Yes, lots of NEW parts are NLA. Some are being remanufactured by stalwarts who are probably losing thier shirts, but they are believers.

Believe me, as a severe CW, ou can find gems if you're patient. May take years, but those puppies eventually surface. Just keep looking.
Pat

And Pat is proof. He's been waiting for that elusive concours condition rain tray for decades! <grin>
914runnow
Hi Pat...Yes I agree with you on the 'Used Parts' end of it...
ONCE in a great while a Stellar car will get cut due to it folding
in half, OR an accident..But my novel was based on going to
the 'Good Ole Porsche Dealer' and getting what you want...
And yes agree.gif that parts are out there...But it took me 5 years to find a
NLA air box seal for my 73.....after a while you loose hope or burn out from the looking and searching..It's exhaustive....................
Just that >>>>for those out there that want to get parts new in the package
from Daddy Porsche...Sooner is better than later..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.