Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lokking for dash mounted rear view mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dkjens
I would like a dash mounted rear view mirror like the one Keith Peare has in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6K78YKA9UE - can anybody point me to one, please?

In my rear view mirror I have now all I see is roll bar (the stock one).
McMark
I tried mounting the rearview mirror down low (effectively on the dash) and found that it severely impacted my view of the road.

But, if you feel like giving it a try, mounting the stock mirror down low is cheap and easy. Plus you still keep the 'dimmer'.

Good luck. cool.gif
ahdoman
When I was bringing the turd back to life I looked at getting one of the early MG type mirrors that clamp to a metal rod that you mount in the center of the windshield. They are adjustable up and down. I also looked at mounting the stock mirror on the dash but it was too low. All I saw was backpad and blue sky.
jt914-6
I'm using a "wink" mirror. The five panel one. Don't see any roll bar, and yes I have one. It is adjustable in height. It has a great view, so much I don't have any side mirrors and don't need them. Do a google, ect search for "wink mirror".
McMark
How many panels is your Wink mirror?

I had a 5 panel (full width) in my car and found that it obstructed my view of stoplights, but otherwise it's great, albeit a little ugly.
jt914-6
Yes, seeing stop lights can be a little bit of a pain, but it does act like a sun visor too.
I'm using the five panel one. I'm not sure how the four panel one would work.
McMark
I thought about a three or four panel mounted towards the passenger side to allow full view on the driver side.
jt914-6
In my other 914 I tried the wide pano. type from automotion and didn't like the view/distortion. Once you use the wink, it is hard to go back to anything else, at least for me. Kinda like after you own a crew cab truck you'd never go back to a standard cab!!!!!
dkjens
I do have the wink mirror in mine now, mounted as high as possible to not obstruct forward and up view. This is my second, they don't last very long, they get soft and start sagging in the sun and before you know it you have a banana mirror.
I guess I can try a regular mirror mounted low and see if I like that. I have always used my side mirrors alot, especially when backing up and parrallel parking. With the GT flares you can't see squat he he.
McMark
Hmm, my wink mirror is straight as the day I put it in. Weird.... confused24.gif
underthetire
Check the marine shops. I have one in my boat
rfuerst911sc
Also check the kit car websites as I believe Cobra replicas and some others use a dash mounted mirror.
jt914-6
Me too McMark......Mine has never bent out of shape....I plan in the future to replace the "wing" glass on the doors with Lexan and put Sebering Mach 1 mirrors on them. But that is a "winter project" in the future.

PegasusAutoRacing.com has the wink and a pedistal type sports car mirror.....
The wink has an optional windshield mount kit.....
dkjens
The SPA dash mount mirror looks nice, and it should at $175.00, not quite ready to spend that on a dash mount mirror.
Yep, I've had two (still have the second) wink mirrors get soft and droop in the summer heat. And no, it's not because I hang some big furry dice from it he he.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.