Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Picked me out a 914!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
futuresoptions
Well guys, I have been lurking here pretty regularly since I last posted, and I finally out of the blue purchased a side shift tranny off the bay last week.... Well, I figured since I had the tranny, that I needed a vehicle to put it in... I had looked at a local car as there aren't too many located down here, and found a pretty dry 73' roller... Hell hole is gonna need some attention as will the lower fire wall... floor pans are solid as is both the front and rear trunks.... and after talking with the owner struck up a deal with him.... I am looking at taking delivery next month on the car.... I will be getting this car without a motor, but with a side shifter... the one I purchased last week will be a spare.. Now that the time is getting near, I find it more and more difficult to decide what exactly that it is that I want to do with her.... I had orignally envisioned that a black 916 w/black fuchs would be awesome, but think that a silver narrow body with black trim & polished center fuchs would also be just as awesome... I originally wanted to do a six conversion, but am leaning more towards subie or chevy power... After going through this site as well as many other sites and doing a little research, I think that the perfect engine for this car would be either a HG33 or a EZ30, but I have yet to see one completed in a teener and I don't think that there is enough aftermarket available to complete the conversion. As far as Chevy goes, I have built several 350's before, but just think that it would feel outta place in the car... I have access to a 2.0 typeIV motor, but would really like to add an aftermarket A/C to the car.... I have plenty of time to decide, as I will be tackling the body issues first.... my plans are to make the needed repairs and then add all the stiffening kits available to the car no matter what engine I decide to go with.... I guess I would just like to hear your opinions and take it from there... Pics will come as soon as I pay her off lol, avatar will be changed at that time....
Todd Enlund
piratenanner.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
futuresoptions
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jun 8 2009, 10:21 PM) *

Hey Todd,

Sorry man, I only have pics on my new cell phone, and I don't have the little cord that attaches to cpu for downloading.... I will be able to take pics of the car when I get it home though.... it appears that it was originally a lime green color, and then painted guards red... also it has a chrome luggage rack on the rear trunk... barf.gif

When I came back to this site I saw my post, but had to go to the bottom of the screen to click on your reply instead of it automatically showing up... any ideas??
futuresoptions
Well, logged out CCleaned and relogged, now I am seeing everything okay...
orange914
building a car starting with a trans seems a bit out of focus to me. i'm not trying to be mean but i have learned the hard way myself that when doing a car you really need a overall plan in basic steps also. establish what you want to end up with i.e. autox, daily driver, show car, stock or modified. with my oldest son first car we established 4 main areas needed to complete and accomplished each, one at a time. 1st was mechanical stuff like fixing/detailing drive train. 2nd brakes wheels. 3rd lighting/body/paint 4th interior.

good luck with it, the 914 is the best basic car to ground up build, so much easier than many other realitively complex old cars. besides the quality support on these 914 sites can't be beat.

welcome.png

p.s. pic's and your direction/wants will help get some good feedback
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(futuresoptions @ Jun 8 2009, 08:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jun 8 2009, 10:21 PM) *

Hey Todd,

Sorry man, I only have pics on my new cell phone, and I don't have the little cord that attaches to cpu for downloading.... I will be able to take pics of the car when I get it home though.... it appears that it was originally a lime green color, and then painted guards red... also it has a chrome luggage rack on the rear trunk... barf.gif

Standard response... we share your excitement! When you get it home, check the paint code. If that "lime green" is L65K, I'm Ravenna Green with envy biggrin.gif

futuresoptions
Thanks for the reply Kenny, I really just want to make it a sound daily driver that is comfortable, and has more horsepower over stock... my better judgement would lead me to believe that the NA EJ25 would probably be the best bet under the circustances, but I sure would like an H6... I really like the stock looks of these cars and really like the 5 lug Fuch conversions.... reliability is an issue, and I travel 60 miles round trip daily and this will be my daily driver... The type IV motors that I have had in the past have been very reliable once I got all the bugs worked out, but I would really like to add A/C & Heat... that is why I am starting to lean a little towards the Subie/Chevy side of things... I would like to keep the side shift tranny versus upgrading to a subie,915,930... but I will purchase a SC front suspension, add turbo tie rods, and replace the hubs, calipers and rotors in the rear...

I don't know whose car this is, but when I look at this picture, I really like the narrow body and think it would look awesome in Alpine silver.... I think the only changes that I would make, is that I prefer black rockers and the factory chrome mirror....

Click to view attachment
futuresoptions
Hey Todd, I did a google search on Raveena Green and it took me to the Samba, yep, this is the color that was behind the door panels & Gurads red paint...

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.