Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front turn signals - installing new boots
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
OK, I admit it - I took something apart with no notes or pics.

So, after nearly 2 years of ill health & lack of interest, I'm ready to renew.

Bought new front signal boots a while ago because the old ones disintegrated (literally). Took thew buckets out to refurbish, but didn't note the wiring hookup.

So, I have buckets with the following markings - "57", "31", and "BL". Also have a gang of wires exiting the old boots.

Yeah, I could look it up, but thought it would be more fun to take a bashing!

What wires go where?
Pat
Pat Garvey
Hello?
JeffBowlsby
Oink. biggrin.gif

Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 10 2009, 09:55 PM) *

Hello?

Is this a test?

I don't want to unplug my rubber boots to check, otherwise I too would be looking for new ones! <grin>

MDG
Great to hear your juices are flowing smilie_pokal.gif

Pat Garvey took something apart without copious notes!?! What the . . ??? I find myself feeling disillusioned, confused. I think I'll go wander aimlessly around for a bit.

What's next - a Porsche badge on the front trunk!?
Johny Blackstain
I just did this job to the LE last summer & found it to be a bitch. I wound up bathing the new boots w/ armour all, inside & out & that made the job much easier.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 11 2009, 02:19 PM) *

Oink. biggrin.gif

Thank you Jeff. Saved me some research. You do man!

Both side go on tomorrow morning. Whew!
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 12 2009, 12:09 PM) *

I just did this job to the LE last summer & found it to be a bitch. I wound up bathing the new boots w/ amour all, inside & out & that made the job much easier.

Armorall? You'd use Armorall on perfectly good German rubber? Why didn't you use glycerin, or KY (works too & excites me). Armorall on good quality German rubber is like using Castrol GT 40 to lube a condom. Starts rotting the rubber as soon as it touches it.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(MDG @ Jun 12 2009, 11:15 AM) *

Great to hear your juices are flowing smilie_pokal.gif

Pat Garvey took something apart without copious notes!?! What the . . ??? I find myself feeling disillusioned, confused. I think I'll go wander aimlessly around for a bit.

What's next - a Porsche badge on the front trunk!?

In the words of John McCain - "I screwed up".
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 12 2009, 12:09 PM) *

I just did this job to the LE last summer & found it to be a bitch. I wound up bathing the new boots w/ amour all, inside & out & that made the job much easier.

I find myself humbled!

How do you get the wires out of the side marker boot(SMB) without destroying the boot, which is just fine?

I've been going in from the top (turn signal assy removed). Now, can you put enough "juice" on the SMB to extract the wires & connectorrs without destroying the boot? Can you do it one at a time?

I don't want to snip the wires & get a new boot if I don't have to.

What'd you do JB.
Pat
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 23 2009, 09:11 PM) *

I find myself humbled!

How do you get the wires out of the side marker boot(SMB) without destroying the boot, which is just fine?

I've been going in from the top (turn signal assy removed). Now, can you put enough "juice" on the SMB to extract the wires & connectorrs without destroying the boot? Can you do it one at a time?

What'd you do JB.
Pat

Sorry to take so long to get back to you Pat, PC blew up again. blowup.gif This is a new one I just built; $ headbang.gif $

I took everything apart, cleaned & replaced all sorts of rubber George should have replaced 6 yrs ago. chair.gif My old boots & backs of my TS assemblies were covered in 35 yrs old undercoating. When I did this the car was up on jacks, assy. removed, wheel off, I came in from the wheel well & daylight was shining through the holes for the turn signals. Old rubber was so ugly w/ undercoating it would have destroyed them to clean so I just cut them off & replaced w/ new ones from George. I did not snip the wires, I snipped the rubber boots. After cleaning the wires I found it beyond difficult to put it back together w/out lube & I wanted a lube I know evaporates & goes away, hence the armorall. Wiped them clean & masked them up so I could apply new undercoating, properly. As you know, my Dad's car was undercoated @ the dealer so concours-wise the car should match the paperwork. After the stuff was dry I put the signals & wires back, all clean & shiny w/ no overspray & new boots all around. I re-crimped the spade connectors for strength, sprayed the rubber w/ the "magic liquid", shoved the spades into their respective holes & fished them out using needle nose pliers. Most importantly I did one side @ a time so I would not have to bother w/ remembering or marking which wire went where... biggrin.gif

PS- "armour all" was meant to get your attention & obviously it did happy11.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 27 2009, 09:38 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 23 2009, 09:11 PM) *

I find myself humbled!

What'd you do JB.
Pat

Sorry to take so long to get back to you Pat, PC blew up again. blowup.gif This is a new one I just built; $ headbang.gif $

I took everything apart, cleaned & replaced all sorts of rubber George should have replaced 6 yrs ago. chair.gif My old boots & backs of my TS assemblies were covered in 35 yrs old undercoating. When I did this the car was up on jacks, assy. removed, wheel off, I came in from the wheel well & daylight was shining through the holes for the turn signals. Old rubber was so ugly w/ undercoating it would have destroyed them to clean so I just cut them off & replaced w/ new ones from George. I did not snip the wires, I snipped the rubber boots. After cleaning the wires I found it beyond difficult to put it back together w/out lube & I wanted a lube I know evaporates & goes away, hence the armorall. Wiped them clean & masked them up so I could apply new undercoating, properly. As you know, my Dad's car was undercoated @ the dealer so concours-wise the car should match the paperwork. After the stuff was dry I put the signals & wires back, all clean & shiny w/ no overspray & new boots all around. I re-crimped the spade connectors for strength, sprayed the rubber w/ the "magic liquid", shoved the spades into their respective holes & fished them out using need nose pliers. Most importantly I did one side @ a time so I would not have to bother w/ remembering or marking which wire went where... biggrin.gif

PS- "armour all" was meant to get your attention & obviously it did happy11.gif

It worked - you got my attention!

Well, I've spent enough on boots, & my TS boots are good, so I'll just snip & replace the connectors, while sparing the boot.

Thanks!
Pat
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 29 2009, 10:04 PM) *

Well, I've spent enough on boots, & my TS boots are good, so I'll just snip & replace the connectors, while sparing the boot.

Thanks!
Pat

I'd advise against that Pat- wires are short enough as they are.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 30 2009, 09:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 29 2009, 10:04 PM) *

Thanks!
Pat

I'd advise against that Pat- wires are short enough as they are.

Agreed, they are short (very short). I suspect that the factory had bare wires that they moved through a number of boots on these cars, then connected connectors when through the boots.

I'm anal enough that I'd like to keep all origional connectors (& have so far), but I don't see a way from this problem. I could buy new boots, but what would that solve? And my current boots are just fine.

Waht did you do?
Pat
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 30 2009, 10:11 PM) *

Agreed, they are short (very short). I suspect that the factory had bare wires that they moved through a number of boots on these cars, then connected connectors when through the boots.

I'm anal enough that I'd like to keep all origional connectors (& have so far), but I don't see a way from this problem. I could buy new boots, but what would that solve? And my current boots are just fine.

Waht did you do?
Pat

I had to cut my boots cause they were pretty much gone & covered in undercoating. In your shoes I'd try comming in from the wheel well, greasing the crap out of the boots & wires & try to wiggle one wire @ a time through the boot holes using needle nose pliers. I would use this method for both assembly & disassembly.
PanelBilly
I was able to pull the connectors through the rubber. I just did one at a time took them off a few years ago and last weekend put them back in.
PanelBilly
One important step I left out. You need to wisper dirty words to the rubber first. so the natural loosening effect takes action
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 2 2009, 04:51 PM) *

One important step I left out. You need to wisper dirty words to the rubber first. so the natural loosening effect takes action

That's the thing I was missing! Tried & tried, just with the wires for the side markers - wouldn't budge! So I talked to them (or was it me) in no uncertain filthy words that they would go through the boot, or I would have my way with them! Oh yeah, they got the word. Little more glycerin & poom! Slid right through! Still working on the big cable for the bucket, though will talk dirtier tomorrow & promise hemmies if it doesn't go through.

I think the wiring harness is quaking right now, maybe even a pucker. Yeah, you CAN control these German beasts when you talk dirty....and threaten.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.