Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash and windshield install order?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FourBlades

What order is best for installing these:

Dash sheet metal
Dash cap
Dash lower pad
Dash vinyl that goes up to windshield
dash to windshield seal
windshield

anything else?

What do you install on the dash sheet metal before putting it in the car?

I put on the basketweave vinyl and wired all the switches and guages.

What holds the climate control sliders to the dash?

Thanks,

John

rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jun 9 2009, 12:35 PM) *

What order is best for installing these:

Dash sheet metal
Dash cap
Dash lower pad
dash to windshield seal
windshield

anything else?

What do you install on the dash sheet metal before putting it in the car?

I put on the basketweave vinyl and wired all the switches and guages.

What holds the climate control sliders to the dash?

Thanks,

John

I just recently had my project car painted so the windshield was out. The dash vinyl/foam was crap so I replaced it before the windshield went in. Much easier to do it with the glass out. Also replace the vinyl to windshield rubber at the base of the windshield while it's out it is simple. Once that is done the glass can go in. Dash cap/top pad can go in after no big deal. Hope this helps. beerchug.gif
McMark
In this order:

dash to windshield seal
Dash cap
Dash sheet metal into car
windshield
Dash lower pad
sixaddict
Would like to piggy back on this inquiry as I will be doing the same shortly .....unless the body shop maintains their current snail schedule......

Rubber seal at bottom >>>> Who is the best source considering price/ quality.

Thanks
TOT
ahdoman
Regarding the rubber seal at the bottom; the glass guy who did my windshield supplied it. It is not OEM but it might as well have been. Make sure you have him paint the black trim around the inside before he sets the windshiled.

In regards to the heater controls; no attachments on the dash. There is a bolt on the bulkhead that it bolts to.
FourBlades

Thanks for the help. I will take pictures of the process.

I hope I wired the gauges and switches right...I used some
photos that were on line and a wired up 71 dash TC gave
me when I got the IMSA car.

I plan to put a 5 amp fuse between the positive battery terminal
and the harness before hooking it up so that the fuse will blow
before any shorts I accidentally created melt my harness...

John

rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jun 9 2009, 02:25 PM) *

Would like to piggy back on this inquiry as I will be doing the same shortly .....unless the body shop maintains their current snail schedule......

Rubber seal at bottom >>>> Who is the best source considering price/ quality.

Thanks
TOT

For rubber seal check the vendors section for Mikey914. I have purchased almost every seal he makes. Quality is excellent and price very reasonable.
914werke
If your car was recently painted, especially a light color, dont forget to shoot some flat black around the the defrost vent holes as the factory did.
FourBlades

Thanks for the tip about the vent holes.

> Make sure you have him paint the black trim around the inside before he sets the windshiled.

I am not sure what part is referred to here? Is this the inside border of the
windshield, or the outside border?

I have all the stuff to install the windshield myself. I gather there is some kind
of primer to paint on the glass and a different kind on the metal where the butyl
will go. Is this correct? Where do I get it? I have read various windshield install
threads without quite getting the primer part.

Thanks,

John

914werke
If your using Butyl again the Frit primer isnt necessary. If'n you going to use urathane (sp) adhesive then a special primer is required for the glass/body to promote adhesion
gothspeed
Bumping this up, as I am getting the dash metal structure ready to reinstall. smile.gif

I agree with this:

1. Dash vinyl that goes up to windshield (with .125" foam under)

2. Dash to windshield seal (standing by, ordered from 914 rubber and blacked out the area around defroster vents)

3. Dash cap (still needs dolling up)

4. Dash sheet metal into car this is where my questions are:

Does the metal dash structure use rubber spacers at mounting studs? If so, what kind?

Does the heater slider control face install behind the metal dash or is it mounted after dash is installed?

When are the dash basket weave face plates installed?

5. Windshield

6. Dash lower pad

Feel free to add any other tips to this list!
76-914
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 5 2018, 07:31 AM) *

Bumping this up, as I am getting the dash metal structure ready to reinstall. smile.gif

I agree with this:

2. Dash to windshield seal (standing by, ordered from 914 rubber and blacked out the area around defroster vents)

Does the metal dash structure use rubber spacers at mounting studs? If so, what kind?

Does the heater slider control face install behind the metal dash or is it mounted after dash is installed?

5. Windshield

6. Dash lower pad

Behind, although you can pull it thru the hole with a great deal of effort. There is a #6 bolt that attaches the rear of the unit to the bulkhead. Be sure to R&R the bulbs before you get too far.You can install those face trim pieces whenever. Don't forget the glove box door. It's a little easier to do that before the dash openings get covered up. And paint those vents. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
gothspeed
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 5 2018, 07:57 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 5 2018, 07:31 AM) *

I agree with this:

5. Windshield

6. Dash lower pad

Behind, although you can pull it thru the hole with a great deal of effort. There is a #6 bolt that attaches the rear of the unit to the bulkhead. Be sure to R&R the bulbs before you get too far.You can install those face trim pieces whenever. Don't forget the glove box door. It's a little easier to do that before the dash openings get covered up. And paint those vents. beerchug.gif

Thank you for reminding me about the glove box! I will get those parts together and possibly refinish the inside of the box itself.
And yes, I have the vents painted and installed with new foam seals. smile.gif
How about the metal dash mounting studs to the console/chassis? It seems like there should be some rubber or plastic isolators for vibration or squeeks?
gothspeed
Can anyone identify the mounting hardware for the metal dash structure? By number and what it is (rubber, washer, nut, floating nut etc.)
Mikey914
I have yet to remove the metal frame, but I'd bet Brad Mayer could shed some light on this. I thought it was a metal to metal contact, no rubber bushing, but I can't say for sure.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 7 2018, 11:17 PM) *

I have yet to remove the metal frame, but I'd bet Brad Mayer could shed some light on this. I thought it was a metal to metal contact, no rubber bushing, but I can't say for sure.

Thanks for posting! I don't recall if it was rubber isolation mounted when I removed it 5+years ago. But looking at some diagrams I though it might or should have smile.gif

Anyone else know if the metal dash sub structure has rubber isolation on mounting studs?
914werke

Yes the dash frame has simple rubber washers at 4 (I think) stud locations accessed from inside the cowl.
Word of caution... Stretch first before tackling the removal of those nuts happy11.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 9 2018, 06:14 PM) *

Yes the dash frame has simple rubber washers at 4 (I think) stud locations accessed from inside the cowl.
Word of caution... Stretch first before tackling the removal of those nuts happy11.gif

Thank you for the information! I am reinstalling the metal sub structure and because the studs were so long, I figured rubber washers or something had to be in there. smile.gif

Edit: rubber isolation washers have been confirmed 100% under the metal dash structure to body. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.