Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optimum position to install a CB ( carter) pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neil30076
I have searched, found various threads on pump location, but would really like to see exactly where someone mounted the CB pump and filter - tank is out, i'm replacing the fuel line with a SS, the old plastic one cracked at the pump end under the tank, so now is the time to do it right. Would prefer to avoid under the tank as that looks to be really tight with the transtions needed to get the tank 3/8 dopwn to pumps 5/16. then back up to the 3/8 SS line. Could put it on rear bulkhead in original FI position, no heat excahngers or any creature comfort plumbing back there anyway so lots of room.

Thoughts please - need to get this done wednesday and back on road :-)

(Cross posted on club)

Neil
r_towle
Any liquid pump is designed to push up hill, not suck uphill.
Pumps are just that way, its a physics thing.

So, while these pumps can suck up hill a little bit, it makes the pump work harder and there is a limit to how high the pump can be.

If you look at the stock location for a 75/76 fuel pump that is probably the best and safest location.

Rich
neil30076
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 9 2009, 04:20 PM) *

Rich

Agree, under the tank where the fuel line goes into the tunnel - or on the rear bulkhead adjacent to where the fuel line exits the tunnel would seem to me to be almost the same height above ground and therefore same distance below the bottom of the tank - so if that is true the back position should be ok, .
r_towle
QUOTE(neil30076 @ Jun 9 2009, 07:28 PM) *

Rich

Agree, under the tank where the fuel line goes into the tunnel - or on the rear bulkhead adjacent to where the fuel line exits the tunnel would seem to me to be almost the same height above ground and therefore same distance below the bottom of the tank - so if that is true the back position should be ok, .

No, under the tank on the drivers side. Look for the 75/76 fuel pump location.
You do not want it under the tank near the fuel line inlets....it wont fit...there is to much going on.
Rich
neil30076
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 9 2009, 05:32 PM) *

QUOTE(neil30076 @ Jun 9 2009, 07:28 PM) *

Rich

No, under the tank on the drivers side. Look for the 75/76 fuel pump location.
You do not want it under the tank near the fuel line inlets....it wont fit...there is to much going on.
Rich

Agree - Drivers side - but still looks tight with the 3/8 to 5/16 reducers on both inlet and outlet.
tat2dphreak
one more vote for driver's side. that's where I put mine.
Joe Owensby
Here is a photo of my CB pump located below the fuel tank. Very easy to install if you have the tank out. I have since gone back to fuel injection, so I replaced this pump with a Bosch high pressure pump. I bought a cover from a newer 914 that goes over a hole in the front trunk, and put the new pump there- similar to that on newer 914's. This allows access without pulling the tank. JoeO
neil30076
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Jun 9 2009, 07:56 PM) *

Here is a photo of my CB pump located below the fuel tank. Very easy to install if you have the tank out. I have since gone back to fuel injection, so I replaced this pump with a Bosch high pressure pump. I bought a cover from a newer 914 that goes over a hole in the front trunk, and put the new pump there- similar to that on newer 914's. This allows access without pulling the tank. JoeO

perfect Joe, that's exactly the picture i was looking for - heading out now to garage to do mine.
Cheers
Neil
rhodyguy
i'd hate changing the fuel filter in that location. btw, if you didn't know, the smaller canister is a filter. i would change out the clamps that come with the package filter from the crimp on type to shouldered screw type at a minimum.
6freak
Pull the tank just to change the filter WTF.gif ...no tanks pun intented lol ...relocate the filter and your good ...JMO
effutuo101
Jon and I both put ours in the front trunk. We also put fuel filters there for ease of maintenance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.