Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Let it eat or not?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
degreeoff
OK here is the deal.

You all know the car smokes and my attempts at diagnosing the issue have showed cold leakdown of about 13% + or -. I believe there is a ring seating issue as well as a valve guide issue though not terrible but DAMN when I lay on the gas @ a stop light or off the line it will puff a bigun! It runs and good at that! Still pulles like a banchie and was will be a top contender @ atouX's and such. driving.gif

I could leave it out and fix it smash.gif to the tune of $700 to $2000 which I cannot afford right now. AKA 4+ months minimum OR I can put it back in and run it as is and wait for the winfall (Great aunts estate) to settle which ata a best guess will be between 7 months to a year from now and repair the issue then. Will it last? I know the guides are not THAT bad.......

What would you do? confused24.gif
Zundfolge
If its not your daily driver, I'd just wait until the money comes in.
degreeoff
how do I turn this into a poll?
r_towle
Its a toy.
Run it till you can do it right...drive something else for your DD...

RIch
lotus_65
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 9 2009, 06:22 PM) *

Its a toy.
Run it till you can do it right...drive something else for your DD...

RIch

agree.gif
VaccaRabite
Toss that 2.5 you have built into it.

Zach
degreeoff
hell ya its a toy I drive it every now and then.....
r_towle
ok, so it burns oil...big deal.
It will get worse, yup.
If you hear noises, its time to pull it our for good.

I suspect your pricing guess is not right. You need new guides and new rings and re-honing of your cylinders...
All that work has to be subcontracted to others...

Rich
PanelBilly
Drive it the way it is.
banger
Do you know if the piston ring end gaps are correct? This could cause a little more oil to seep by, and cause some of the leakdown problems.
IronHillRestorations
Run it til it breaks, or you run out of things to do.
Dr Evil
Drive it and take a Midol for any side effects you may be experiencing rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

PM me and I can put you in touch with a shop that does good work for good prices.
charliew
Trade it in on a boxter that doesn't smoke when you get rich.
degreeoff
too late shes coming apart! on the engine stand now. Its an easy fix I believe....found a local shop to give the heads a look and we'll go from there!

a boxter??? you f'n kidding me? I'd sooner sell/trade a nut than this car! Its a cayman/boxter/911 eater! and fun as hell!
Dr Evil
Well, there goes your driving season rolleyes.gif
degreeoff
Nah mike,

I'll have it back together in a month....its called OCD !!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.