Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: timing light/dwell meter combo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
i kmow it never ends with me. but i have to tune my car and need a dwell meter and a timing light. is this one better than buying 2 seperate devices?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...rd=timing+light
r_towle
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jun 9 2009, 10:24 PM) *

i kmow it never ends with me. but i have to tune my car and need a dwell meter and a timing light. is this one better than buying 2 seperate devices?

That is a timing light for a distributorless ignition.

Its not a dwell meter.

Rich
nycchef
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 9 2009, 06:27 PM) *

Its not a dwell meter.

Rich

rich are you sure look at the description it even comes gift wrapped

Description
Professional-grade, easy-to-use tune-up tool. View and adjust base timing and overall ignition advance on Conventional and DIS (Distributorless) 2 and 4-cycle ignition systems. Slim rotating barrel for compact spaces with optically-tuned lens for a clear, bright flash. Digital readout displays RPM, Ignition Advance, Battery/Alternator Voltage and Dwell readings. Serviceable Leads include Metal pickup which withstands heat, fits 10 mm ignition wires and uses heavy-duty battery and Dwell clamps. Plastic storage case. Will be $159.99 in '09 Annual Catalog. Wt. 3.6 lbs. Catalog/Online Exclusive

This product is: Available for Gift Wrap
r_towle
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jun 9 2009, 10:31 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 9 2009, 06:27 PM) *

Its not a dwell meter.

Rich

rich are you sure look at the description it even comes gift wrapped

Description
Professional-grade, easy-to-use tune-up tool. View and adjust base timing and overall ignition advance on Conventional and DIS (Distributorless) 2 and 4-cycle ignition systems. Slim rotating barrel for compact spaces with optically-tuned lens for a clear, bright flash. Digital readout displays RPM, Ignition Advance, Battery/Alternator Voltage and Dwell readings. Serviceable Leads include Metal pickup which withstands heat, fits 10 mm ignition wires and uses heavy-duty battery and Dwell clamps. Plastic storage case. Will be $159.99 in '09 Annual Catalog. Wt. 3.6 lbs. Catalog/Online Exclusive

This product is: Available for Gift Wrap

You actually expected me to read the WHOLE description prior to adding my invalid opinion...
Go for it...the gift wrap is a bonus...more trash.

Rich
nycchef

You actually expected me to read the WHOLE description prior to adding my invalid opinion...
Go for it...the gift wrap is a bonus...more trash.

Rich
[/quote]

weeeeee more toys, i even picked up a syncrometer. like you suggested ... it now becomes your responsibility to tell me how to use it.i'd like to take this opportunity to thank you and all my non club brothers for all the help. the car starts , shifts perfectly, of course this tune up business may change all that drunk.gif
nycchef
QUOTE(esses62 @ Jun 9 2009, 07:28 PM) *

It's alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, Did you take it off the jack stands. Running it up in the air doesn't count poke.gif

drove it around the block. still have to install the horn button and am havng a hell of a time getting the engine lid back on . but it's really alive
on a more somber note..that damn timing light is out of stock for the forseeable future in every sears store in the north east. have to buy seperate ones....no gift wrap
tradisrad
ditch the points and put in a pertronix or something similar and borrow a timing light. you'll set it once and never mess with it again. cost ya around $90 and then spend the left over $ on the car.
nycchef
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jun 9 2009, 07:55 PM) *

ditch the points and put in a pertronix or something similar and borrow a timing light. you'll set it once and never mess with it again. cost ya around $90 and then spend the left over $ on the car.

have a petronix. might be fried thinking of putting it back in to test.
tradisrad
if you hook up the pertronix backwards they fail, ask me how I know.
good luck
neil30076
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jun 9 2009, 08:50 PM) *

Hey, Did you take it off the jack stands. Running it up in the air doesn't count poke.gif

drove it around the block. still have to install the horn button and am havng a hell of a time getting the engine lid back on . but it's really alive
on a more somber note..that damn timing light is out of stock for the forseeable future in every sears store in the north east. have to buy seperate ones....no gift wrap

Rich, get it on amazon - $66.48 and in stock smile.gif
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=s...rds=innova+3568
I have one and it works great!
Neil
nycchef
QUOTE(neil30076 @ Jun 10 2009, 07:35 AM) *

QUOTE(nycchef @ Jun 9 2009, 08:50 PM) *

Rich, get it on amazon - $66.48 and in stock smile.gif
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=s...rds=innova+3568
I have one and it works great!
Neil

neil
thanks for the tip ordered the timing light and the dwell meter. one day shipping still $40.00 cheaper than auto zone will have by friday,hopefully tune and balance sunday...or i will be posting again hissyfit.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.