Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ray Warren
My alternator light is on bright all the time.
The only time it changes is when it is at idle,
it flickers dim.
As soon as i give it some gas it goes bright.
I have changed the VR but it still does the same
thing. The volt gauge is reading about 12v and
moves up slightly when i give it gas.Belt is tight.
I have read the tech article on PP but not sure what to do.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Joe Bob
Get a multimeter. Check battery with engine off, should be 12.5+ volts.

Engine at idle 13+, 2500 rpms, 13.5-14 volts. Any more than that it prolly the regulator. If under 13v looks as if the alt is toast.
tesserra
I know this sounds wierd but when I bought my first 76 2.0 from a "donate your car" place the alt light was on. I got it home and started fixing stuff. Replaced non functioning brake bulbs and the light went off. I could not believe it so I traded them back and the alt light went on again.
It never had a charging problem in my three years of ownership.

I have never found anybody that has had this symptom on there car. This was a VERY clean and unmolested '76 with no wiring work done and all electrics worked great.

Good luck,
George
rhodyguy
check the fan belt, then proceed. #1 in the fault diagnosis p.142 in the haynes. when i was dealing with no light, #2 was "bulb requires replacement". right below "battery flat or defective".

kevin
RocknRollFrenzy
sounds exactly like what my light was doing when my alternator fried. probably not what you want to hear, i'm sure.
tat2dphreak
mine was doing it with a bad blinker light too...
rhodyguy
think anybody ever got burned for a new alt and ?hrs labor by a repair shop when it only the bulb? <_<

kevin
tat2dphreak
probably... that's why something simple like an alt. swap should be DIY...
Ray Warren
QUOTE(mikez @ Mar 4 2004, 10:27 AM)
Get a multimeter. Check battery with engine off, should be 12.5+ volts.

Engine at idle 13+, 2500 rpms, 13.5-14 volts. Any more than that it prolly the regulator. If under 13v looks as if the alt is toast.

I tried this quick test tonight

not running 12.65 volts
at idle 13.4
2000 rpm 13.4
all bulbs are working.
Joe Bob
Sounds like almost dead...but not mostly dead.....it's on the way.

Bet if the headlights were on you would get 12v or less....if not now, but soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.