Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: distributor or "dizzy-less"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
after Brant's recent thread, I didn't want to hijack,

the 050 and 009 are both universally blasted, the mallory supposed ly has QC issues now and even without problems it's expensive as hell..

is there a dizzy-less option that is easy to install... like easy as installing a distributor, easy? it would have to work for both carbs or FI...

could a MSD ignition do the trick? or do you have to get an electrical engineering degree and install megasquirt?

basically.. something to replace an 009/050 dizzy that and idiot(ME) could do in a weekend. does this animal exist?
underthetire
True dizzyless ignitions use a crank trigger. My Megasquirt uses the stock dizzy with the advance plates welded and springs/vac can removed. I just don't want to pull the motor to put a crank trigger on. I would be nice if someone came up with a trigger wheel and mount you could install and not pull the motor..hint hint..Toon1 are you listening????
McMark
if someone came up with a trigger wheel and mount you could install and not pull the motor.

But you can't get to the crank to install anything without removing the motor. confused24.gif

The crank trigger I developed only requires that you remove the fan to install, but you can't remove the fan with the motor in the car.
underthetire
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 10 2009, 04:09 PM) *

if someone came up with a trigger wheel and mount you could install and not pull the motor.

But you can't get to the crank to install anything without removing the motor. confused24.gif

The crank trigger I developed only requires that you remove the fan to install, but you can't remove the fan with the motor in the car.

And what does it take to get one of these from you ?
Gint
idea.gif I know you're working on a FI "system" Mark, but maybe you can make a few bucks selling separate components. idea.gif
SLITS
Ok, you made a trigger wheel. Does it fit behind the fan where the A/C pulley would go? .... where do you mount the mag sensor?

I'll take one! biggrin.gif ***

*** To trigger the TEC-II
Jake Raby
Working on it... We HAVE to, else I can't continue to produce engines.
Dr Evil
I have a trigger wheel that can be fitted easily. I also have a megajolt system that can easily be adapted if you know what advance curves to program in. A megajolt system and trigger wheel are easy to build and install on a TIV and there is no shortage of 4cyl coil packs for cheap.
McMark
I just need to build a jig to reproduce the mounting bracket. idea.gif
tat2dphreak
this is a dumb question, I'm sure... but couldn't the fan or flywheel be used for the crank trigger wheel ? both are attached and keyed directly to the crank, and may be an easier install... I mean the crank trigger is basically just reading the position of where the crank is in the cycle, and firing in time.. both of which could be done by the flywheel, and if marked, the fan.

this would keep you from having to completely pull the engine and the cooling system off to install the unit...
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jun 11 2009, 12:49 PM) *

this is a dumb question, I'm sure... but couldn't the fan or flywheel be used for the crank trigger wheel ? both are attached and keyed directly to the crank, and may be an easier install... I mean the crank trigger is basically just reading the position of where the crank is in the cycle, and firing in time.. both of which could be done by the flywheel, and if marked, the fan.

this would keep you from having to completely pull the engine and the cooling system off to install the unit...

It's pretty easy to remove the fan just with lowering the "front" of the engine. Pull any wires and hoses that may get snagged, remove your muffler (HE's can stay on) put a jack under the motor mount, loosen the bolts, lower it and badda bing access to the fan. So if there is a fan mounted trigger... way easy to install.
tat2dphreak
true, for some reason I was thinking the whole front cooling would have to come off, but I guess not, as long as the install is easy enough... disconnect shift linkage too
tat2dphreak
anyone used one of these? http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1477
jhadler
So when is McMark's trigger setup gonna be ready for sale????????????

Interested buyers want to know.

-Josh2
McMark
Okay okay! I'm working on it this weekend. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Hey Mark, if I can help in any way let me know. Not looking to compete, just to help out smile.gif
arvcube
i'm interested as well.... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.