Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: plastic liner for door panels- what to use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I'm getting close to reinstalling the inner door panels on the GT clone. Car didn't have any plastic vapor barrier when I bought it. So what to use? And do you glue it,tape it or what?
r_towle
4 mil plastic works fine.
3m spray adhesive works great.
Glue the plastic to the door, not the panel.

Rich
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 10 2009, 04:39 PM) *

4 mil plastic works fine.
3m spray adhesive works great.
Glue the plastic to the door, not the panel.

Rich

So cut the plastic to size and then spray the adhesive on the door only or also on the plastic? Yes I know it doesn't go on the panel. Thanks
r_towle
the 3m spray adhesive I use is one surface only and stick it on right then...no waiting.
Spray the door.

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Jun 10 2009, 04:35 PM) *

So what to use?

Plastic ? confused24.gif

Back in the old days, the plastic was "glued" on by some sort of modeling clay for easy removing/reinstalling.

Not sure if they still do it that way these days ...
shades.gif Andy
SLITS
Kril II, 3m Weatherstrip, Elephant Snot (gasgacinch), RTV ..... whatever stays soft and you can restick .... used them all.
Porcharu
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 10 2009, 06:44 PM) *

Kril II, 3m Weatherstrip, Elephant Snot (gasgacinch), RTV ..... whatever stays soft and you can restick .... used them all.

I always though gasgacinch was properly called 'Gorilla Snot' - never heard it called Elephant Snot.
IronHillRestorations
I usually use the yellow 3m weatherstrip adhesive. I also cut the piece the same size as the door, apply the glue, then the plastic film, and trim it to fit. You'll have to temporarily remove the inner door latch/lock mechanism and rod, otherwise you just cover it with the plastic.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 10 2009, 07:29 PM) *

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Jun 10 2009, 04:35 PM) *

So what to use?

Plastic ? confused24.gif

Back in the old days, the plastic was "glued" on by some sort of modeling clay for easy removing/reinstalling.

Not sure if they still do it that way these days ...
shades.gif Andy

Don't know if they still do it these days (doubt it), but you are 100% right on. Used to lay down a bead (rubbed round) of clay. Can't say it's the best thing to reuse after this many years, but that's what they used on early 914's. Dead on! Used it on 911's too.
6 mil would be closer for the liner.
Pat
tod914
Tape it to the door, trace out your pattern with a marker, snip away.
charliew
I had some jeg's or summit motor bags that I cut up. Also the stuff I used on my metal shop that comes in a roll with paper on one side that you seal the laps on the r panel is a great adhesive You can sorta pull it back off if you go slow. I think it comes in 30 or 50 ft rolls and is pretty cheap it's really sticky and stays pliable. It's usually gray in color. If you keep the left over stuff out of the sun it will last forever for other projects like sealing around things in a firewall or whatever. You can handle it with your hands but it does stick really good. It's a bead about 1/4 inch in diameter but you can stretch it out and make it thinner if thats what you want.
SLITS
QUOTE(Porcharu @ Jun 10 2009, 07:21 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 10 2009, 06:44 PM) *

I always though gasgacinch was properly called 'Gorilla Snot' - never heard it called Elephant Snot.

I'm old .... I've used that name for many moons .... good stuff!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.