Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Twisted Sex
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rascobo
Several years back, in an attempt to improve air flow I enlarged the intake opening behind my 916 bumper to include a small section of the floor area as well. Today when making measurements for new radiator side fairings, I found an appox. 1/2 inch difference in height between top of semi-circler tray and the floor from left and right sides of the trunk. I figure removing the radiused junction of front and floor panels allowed the front end to tweek. I'm concerned this may affect both the torsion bars function and the ablity to maintain alignment. Anyone knows if this is the case? Iif so, how I'd go about straightening it before reinforcing or replacing the metal removed? Your advise would be most appreciated.

Here's some pictures of what I'm talking about:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Bruce Hinds
It's kind of hard to tell from the last picture, but it looks like you cut out the part of the front trunk where the floor meets the front. That curve or angle provides support between the front of the torson bars. Under Braking, or any loads it will cause the front wheels to toe out.(front of the torson bars to spread) Hard braking can get real interesting.

I did the same thing, so I had to make a brace to put in place that connects directly between the front torson bar mounts. Problem solved.
rascobo

Thanks Bruce,

You confirmed My diagnosis and treatment, except, how to level it up before making the repairs. welder.gif It's on jack stands now, and I'm going to try raising one corner to see if that will do it.

btw. Yeah, in the picture you can't see well, but what appears to possibly be part of the body is the 916 bumper showing through the grill. I look forward to seeing Your car this summer, it's always been one of my favorites, especially your grill.
ChrisFoley
The torsion bar loads aren't carried substantially through that portion of the chassis,
but as Bruce points out, braking loads and other suspension forces are distributed there.
Bruce Hinds
rascobo,

I don't have a pictue of my "fix" it's behind the air dam and radiator intake, but I used a square steel tubing with a tie rod end on one side just in case I needed to pull it together at some point.

It seems to work well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.