Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time for another transmission rebuild clinic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dr Evil
Rubber boa tried to get a clinic set up in the PNW, but that seemed to fall through. I dont know why, but I am interested to hear any suggestions.

Anyhow, I am open to doing the same thing I did last time; fly to a place, teach a bunch of people how to rebuild their boxes, make some $$ and friends. The thing is, I dont know where. That is where you all come in.

Who wants a transmission clinic in their home town?

I am open to anywhere, but special consideration will be given if there is free lodging and a place to do the work. Those who provide the lodging and work space pay $0. If you have frequent flier miles to help with the ticket that would kick ass as well. Last time Trevor hooked it up. The cost was $300 per person with a gear box last time, free for spectators. $300 got you a rebuilt tranny at the end of the event provided you didnt need any parts. If you need parts, and no one did, you will be able to install them when I am done with you. If I have used parts available then you either get them free or at a serious discount if I have limited quantities. You also get unlimited Q/A with me, all of my tips for how to get it done right, my special tools at your disposal, and supplies for the clinic.

Here is the thread from the last event:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=tranny+clinic

You can see that everyone felt that it was well worth the cost.

So, let the bidding begin!, Where am I going?
Heeltoe914
How about SOcal??? Host OK.
Dr Evil
That would be fine with me. I know many people in So Cal smile.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 11 2009, 09:13 AM) *

That would be fine with me. I know many people in So Cal smile.gif

I would be in!
URY914
How about someone making a DVD of the clinic and selling them?
Shade Tree
If you're interested in Oregon, my shop should be big enough....22X44. Have plenty of room and 3 acres folks can camp or park rv's on who don't fit in the house. beerchug.gif Plus I REALLY want to learn this.

PS. My house is about 15 minutes from I-5.
michaelmoo
My vote is Atlanta.

Namely becasue I live in Atlanta...

Mike
my928s4
I doubt it would make sense to come out here to Spokane but I would drive to Seattle or Portland with my tranny,
dflesburg
Come To Dayton Ohio.

Our local region OVR is hosting a huge event this fall at Wright Patterson AFB Museum.
EdwardBlume
The clinic at Trevor's in San Jose was awesome. beer.gif I would be happy to host and provide lodging for another one in NorCal. Just not in another friggen storm!

SLKWrx
If you want to stay closer to home, I think we can get the Philly, NY and DE guys to my place in South Jersey for a clinic. I've got a house, a driveway and a very understanding fiance smile.gif
914werke
Seattle smile.gif
Dr Evil
I can do more than one smile.gif If you all really want it in your area I need you to round up your troops and send them here so I can get an idea where is going to have the most people.

As for a DVD on how to, I am contemplating such a project, but a clinic will not be an optimal environment for such a thing. I would rather have it be one on one with me and the camera smile.gif
tat2dphreak
I hear Dallas is great! lots of 914 people, too... and eager to BBQ biggrin.gif
jmmotorsports
Seattle or Portland.

Jerry
Cupomeat
Ok, so how many people would be interested in a semi local NJ, PA, NY event?

Doc, I'll see how many would be interested to determine feasibility.

Thanks
PanelBilly
Seattle or Portland would be best for me too

Don't make me put a dirt transmission in my car!
Dr Evil
A lot of PNW interest...hmmm

East coast is a good bet as well.
BKLA
Seattle or Portland
(Prefer Portland - I even have two gearboxes, billet intermediate plate and billet side plate for use! smile.gif )

Possibly even a place (home shop) plus BBQ - depending on number of attendees <10 would be OK with the Mrs.
Joe Owensby
I could go for Atlanta. JoeO
Dr Evil
QUOTE(BKLA @ Jun 11 2009, 06:21 PM) *

Seattle or Portland
(Prefer Portland - I even have two gearboxes, billet intermediate plate and billet side plate for use! smile.gif )

Possibly even a place (home shop) plus BBQ - depending on number of attendees <10 would be OK with the Mrs.

We always shoot for between 10-15 smile.gif Last time we did at least 7 boxes and had plenty of looky loos.
Wilhelm
Portland would be great. I would like to put a side shifter in one of my cars and have 3 parts trannys to cannabilize. I suspect we would be doing this under your guidance so would know what sort of tools to bring etc. I'll have to ask the spouse to interpret the FF miles as I know we have em.
gerziebaker
I would be in for Atlanta.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Jun 11 2009, 08:40 PM) *

Portland would be great. I would like to put a side shifter in one of my cars and have 3 parts trannys to cannabilize. I suspect we would be doing this under your guidance so would know what sort of tools to bring etc. I'll have to ask the spouse to interpret the FF miles as I know we have em.

Yup, hand holding is included, smile.gif . I will bring all of the special tools, other than that there are not many that you need. If you want to convert to a side shift we can do the work on your car at the meet. It would be a great teaching experience.
firstknight13
mike i would host and of course you can stay at my place and bring nicole too......biggrin.gif 2 car garage and sloped driveway to arrange seating......ray
r_towle
If you want one up here...I have 5k shop...and 10 acres for camping..
Mike, we have spare rooms. We probably have 5-10 people up in this area that may want to do it. My tranny is fine.

If you go for NJ..contact Ray Mital...he has access to a shop with a lift...and there are quite a few NJ guys that might want to do this.

Rich
Gary
I have a spare sideshift with a 2nd gear synchro that's shot. I'd be in for a PNW venue given enough lead time.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(firstknight13 @ Jun 12 2009, 12:00 AM) *

mike i would host and of course you can stay at my place and bring nicole too......biggrin.gif 2 car garage and sloped driveway to arrange seating......ray

You just referred to Noel as Nicole, a woman you have know for years blink.gif smoke.gif
carlilg
You have another customer if you set it up in So. Calif.
firstknight13
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 11 2009, 08:37 PM) *

QUOTE(firstknight13 @ Jun 12 2009, 12:00 AM) *

You just referred to Noel as Nicole, a woman you have know for years blink.gif smoke.gif

WOW......sorry Noel......too many woman in my life recently hard too keep track at least i got the first letter right.......ray yellowsleep[1].gif smoke.gif driving.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Jun 11 2009, 12:25 AM) *

How about SOcal??? Host OK.

agree.gif
QUOTE(carlilg @ Jun 11 2009, 10:00 PM) *

You have another customer if you set it up in So. Calif.

Add me to this So Cal list
Larouex
I would be in for Seattle or Portland, you betcha!
jmill
Any Midwest interest besides me? I've got a 3 car garage, tons of tools, access to airline tickets and live between Chicago and Milwaukee.
Dr Evil
OK everyone. There WILL be a clinic in the PNW, probably OR, probably Portland as there is an overwhelming response for that spot and lots of hosts. We need to coordinate. I need to know how many paying people are in vs just people wanting to watch. For any of these clinics you can bring as many boxes as you want so long as you do the work wink.gif Not bad for $300. I will bring seal kits for sale for $40 and spare parts (depending on what I have left as I have about 8 boxes to do and they may drain my supplies). We will be better served if everyone takes their gear stacks out first se I can inspect them and order any parts that we may need, but this wont be mandatory and you will be able to fix what ever after I am done with you. Plus, I will always be available after the clinic for help. People need to beat the bushes to get as many people as possible to come.
Here are the people who spoke up for the PNW:
- Shade Tree (Host)***
- my928s4
- rdauenhauer
- jmmotorsports
- Rubber Boa
- PanelBilly
- BKLA (host for <10)
- Wilhelm
- Gary
- Larouex

Next place that is doable, SoCal. I do not have a host offer in So Cal yet, but I bet if ya'll talked to Joe Sharp we can easily get a set up there and have a huge turn out that would warrant (pay for) a flight out there.
Here are the ones who spoke up and that I hope will get some more interest:
- Heeltoe914
- computers4kids
- carlilg
- jim_hoyland

Next up, Atlanta! I bet if ya'll down there put the word out we can get enough people to warrant a trip down there. I am willing if you get the numbers. I will also need a host.
Here are those that spoke up:
- michaelmoo
- Joe Owensby
- gerziebaker

Mid Atlantic, this should be stupid easy to get going. This is a must. We have a host offer in South NJ. I know Richie would host in Brooklyn, but that would be cramped I think. We need to beat the bushes as this takes less planning as I can drive there. Lets go men!
- SLKWrx (host)
- Cupomeat

( I am seeing Cupomeat tomorrow AM for a tranz drop off wink.gif )

Here are the other following places. I am willing to go anywhere if there are enough people to finance the ticket and make it a worth while trip! Dont be down because you dont have the numbers, yet. See if you can recruit people smile.gif

North East
- firstknight13 (host)
- r_towle (host)

NorCal
- RobW (Host)

Mid West

OH
- dflesburg
WI
- jmill (host and lots of resources. PLEASE find more people, this would rock)

South
TX
- tat2dphreak

I will be contacting those that have offered to host that are in areas that are most likely to work out. I'll contact the others when the numbers increase.
Wilhelm
I'll confirm I'm in if the dates are right. Wilhelm
MikeSpraggi
I'd be in for a clinic anywhere in MD, VA, NJ, DE or S-SE PA.
pktzygt
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Jun 16 2009, 03:51 AM) *

I'd be interested. I'm in Maine until October and moving back to Virginia in October.
P.Rocket
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Jun 16 2009, 05:49 AM) *

QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Jun 16 2009, 03:51 AM) *

I'd be interested. I'm in Maine until October and moving back to Virginia in October.

Pacific Northwest area works for me but really needs to be in the winter when the car is off the road and the trans is out.
Shanks!
chocolate.curry
I'd be interested in a clinic pretty much anywhere in MA.
scotty
Whoa! How'd I miss this thread for so long? This beats the heck out of shipping! When?
nycchef
bklyn sounds good , only one teener here and the tranny is the only thing on it that works poke.gif
Dr Evil
Ya'll start throwing around dates and we can see if we can come to a consensus. I will look into starting a separate post for the PNW meet planning.
michaelmoo
I can host the Atlanta one. I even have a trans that needs a little TLC...

Come on ATL guys. Speak up! I, er, we need this class.
computers4kids
Southern CA Southern CA Southern CA Southern CA Southern CA

There appears to be a lot of interest for Southern California biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Alright folks, for the main areas that have the most interest so far I am going to start separate threads so it will be easier to organize and to send people to a specific link. I need to go to club NARP and let them know about a SoCal clinic.
Look for the forthcoming threads!
Zimms
I would be in for a midwest one, but could also make the trip to the Northeast or Atlanta.

I need this!
Trevorg7
...Just found this main thread so icon_bump.gif

This is a great opportunity. I've stated that fact in the SoCal threat already so check in there too.

Well worth the cost. Mike does a great job, has tons of parts, and the special tools aka a rubber mallet.

When Mike and I did this, I flew him out and put him up. Feed him and let him drink my beer.

He plays a mean guitar and was a good guest.

As Rob mentioned, the storm sucked and with my car on jack stands for the tail to side swap there was not much room in my two car garage.

What worked:

1. People were great
2. Mike was awesome
3. Plenty of parking
4. Lots of beer and people brought more
5. Great learning experience

What could be done better:

1. Work benches; need one per tranny rebuild, some brought their own
2. 13m wrenches (lots of them...I think that was the size)
3. Don't forget to eat; we'd work for the entire day and forget about food. Thankfully my daughter cooked meatballs. I think we did 20 hours at least, likely more.
4. More rags and gloves

I am sure there is more, Mike?

T
Dr Evil
Thats about it. I tend to work until completely exhausted so having scheduled food would be a good idea. The venues that have been offered up for this tour of tranny carnage look to be more adequately equipped as far as benches, etc. But, the will lack your small army of child laborers and the keg smile.gif
RoadGlue
I know both Dug Wright and I would be in for a clinic. We're both NorCal (he's in Redwood City, I'm in Santa Rosa). Between Dug and I, I think we have at least five or more spare gear boxes for core bits.

Anyone else in getting Mike back out to NorCal? It's possible that either Dug or I could host as well.

You rock Mike!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.