Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cams (well RHS) holly shot! I wonder what the cause was?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
degreeoff
Well i am open to suggestions? Looking at the oiling holes it seems as though there was some gunk stuck in there??

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Wow, who built that engine?
Dr Evil
The hardened faces of your rockers are eaten away, that took some doing.
degreeoff
you aint shittin! I know I drive hard but JEEZ! I know I cleaned the shit out of all the parts and holes. All I can think of is there was shit in the case (which I did not dissassemble) that worked its way up and BAM!
underthetire
Wrong oil? No ZDDP on a new cam? confused24.gif
rudedude
Did you pull the oil squirter tubes in the cam carriers?
The have been known to plug up.
What does the oil line connection to the cam carrier look like?
There are 2 versions the later restrict oil flow to the cams.
What is your oil pressure like?

Good luck! I am always worrried that mine might look like that.

Jule
yeahmag
Wow! I've seen bug cams do that time and time again before they started to figure out the issues, but haven't heard about 911 cam's doing that... Sure looks the same as what the bugs would do though!
So.Cal.914
What type of valve spring are you running?
degreeoff
it was/is shit in the tubes.....just looked carefully and walla there the shit is!....I swear I cleaned the shit out of those!. There is no way to remove the oiling tubes that I can see but I drilled one end out (1/2" of aluminum plug) and I can tell you it would be a bitch!
degreeoff
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jun 11 2009, 11:02 AM) *

What type of valve spring are you running?

No clue...look like standard double springs to me?
Cap'n Krusty
Despite the apparent amazement of the repliers, this is NOT an uncommon problem.
The oil passages in the cam towers were not properly cleaned before assembly.

The Cap'n

degreeoff
Cap'n I followed Waynes book to a t and dotted i....how did this happen? is there another way to clean these??
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Jun 11 2009, 12:11 PM) *

Cap'n I followed Waynes book to a t and dotted i....how did this happen? is there another way to clean these??

Maybe Wayne doesn't have as much experience as he should, what with being an "expert" and all ....................... I don't know how many years of full time professional wrenching he has under his belt, but my partner and I have been doing 911 engines for combined total of over 77 years, and we just may have seen a BUNCH of stuff he hasn't .............. Personally, I would use Bruce Anderson's book, although the edition I have isn't really a step by step assembly guide. There are caaess points at both ends of the tube, one the inlet, the other a plug. In the past, when it was still legal, I used to dip all the major engine components into a "cold tank", essentially a 30 gallon drum of Carb Dip, which would remove everything except for the most baked on sealant. Can't do that now. Ultrasonic cleaning works well as a sure fire method, though, and it doesn't smell nasty for months or contaminate the ground water ................

The Cap'n
Dr Evil
Wayne gleaned shit from people that posted to his site and asked advise from several experts who frequent his site. This is tantamount to a reporter reporting about how a surgery is done rather than the surgeon doing the reporting. His book is not all inclusive and he has an inflated view of his abilities dry.gif
degreeoff
spoke to another pro and his advice was to drill out the plugs, run a brush though and make new plugs....well that'll happen now, as I am in a new cams situ my old ones were reground and poorly @ that, plus refurbished rockers....the reason for the ring failure was cheap assed deeves rings on nikasil....goetz next time....SHIT! But in 2 months It'll be done. Live and learn. I'll be a pro next time I build an engine.

Josh
TimT
The tubes come out pretty easily for cleaning..

If you can't get or make aluminum plugs to stake in when you replace the tubes. You can tap for some pipe plugs to hold the tubes in..
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 11 2009, 01:12 PM) *

Wayne gleaned shit from people that posted to his site and asked advise from several experts who frequent his site. This is tantamount to a reporter reporting about how a surgery is done rather than the surgeon doing the reporting. His book is not all inclusive and he has an inflated view of his abilities dry.gif

So he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night? lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.