Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: installing oil temp sender / oil temp gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dave1075
can someone explain (detailed) how to install an oil temp sender to a 1.7l '72 car?
i got a very good combo unit with oil temp gauge and have to install the sender as the car is currently w/o.

which parts do i need?
is the cabling already there? i mean is it in all cars anyway?

maybe there is a guide somewhere in the net i can download? pics?

thanks in advance,
david

tat2dphreak
I don't know of a guide... but what you need is a taco plate... which attaches the sender to the bottom of the engine. the spot is already there, but you need the plate to be able to install the sender... the 1.7 and non-temp guage equipped cars just have a flat plate there. you will have to replace that. you'll have to run a new wire from the sender to the gauge, and wire in the gauge all new. if the car didn't have a console originally, then it never had the wiring for it, that I know about... it's not hard to wire in an oil temp gauge tho.
jt914-6
Here's a wiring diagram. Check under the carpet near the gear shift area. The green/black wire is for the gauge. It and the other wires for a console should be there. They will have a plastic rectangle cover on them. Find the sender wire coming out of the harness in the engine side of the harness. Connect the sender wire to it and tap into the one by console for the gauge.

Click to view attachment
type47
The diagram above will be very useful in your installation. Basically, the oil temp gauge needs to be hooked to a + power supply (as shown in the diagram but there may be other + supplies besides the brake light switch that may work) then the gauge is connected to the temp sensor. The temp sensor is a variable resistor that varies with temperature (a thermistor) and that is what actuates the needle on the gauge; a varying voltage that is varied by the temp.

tacoClick to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Did you get the correct silver button "early" gauge?Click to view attachment
dave1075
QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 12 2009, 04:26 AM) *

The diagram above will be very useful in your installation. Basically, the oil temp gauge needs to be hooked to a + power supply (as shown in the diagram but there may be other + supplies besides the brake light switch that may work) then the gauge is connected to the temp sensor. The temp sensor is a variable resistor that varies with temperature (a thermistor) and that is what actuates the needle on the gauge; a varying voltage that is varied by the temp.

Did you get the correct silver button "early" gauge?Click to view attachment

ihank you both for the instructions.

Yes, i got an early silver button gauge.

a last question: will much oil drain out of the engine when i change the cover and install the sender unit?

thanks,
david
tat2dphreak
a last question: will much oil drain out of the engine when i change the cover and install the sender unit?

damn near all of it
jt914-6
Pretty much all of the oil will come out. Plan to change the oil & filter. Remove the drain plug too. Remove the screen above the taco plate and clean it. A new gasket would be nice to replace on the plate too.
Ferg
All of it.

dave1075
thanks to all of you.
r_towle
your going to take a large plate off the bottom of the motor to install the sensor. What makes you think that oil will come out???

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.