Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT - iTunes Music
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
OK, so I went to buy some music last night for the first time in 3 years and I found myself just wandering aimlessly not finding anything really cool. I like to kick around 80's and 90's rock, and I've had a tough time finding the good stuff.

So now I'm asking YOU the 914 crowd to help me out and come up with some really good songs...

What have you added lately that's the "good stuff"?
Gint
I've been using an iphone app to identify songs that I hear playing when I'm around town here and there on the latest independant radio station , etc... I've become more aware of new music that I really enjoy. I could say eye-opening even. It's surprised me how much of what I like is new-ish.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 11 2009, 05:44 PM) *

I've been using an iphone app to identify songs that I hear playing when I'm around town here and there on the latest independant radio station , etc... I've become more aware of new music that I really enjoy. I could say eye-opening even.

Radios work up there? blink.gif

OK - give me a good one...
carreraguy
The free "Pandora" app on iPhone is great! Just select a genre (i.e. "British Invasion") and you can listen to your heart's content!
Gint
Dead Confederate are really good. Carolina Liar, I could go on. I wish this app had a way to download a list off of the phone.
Gint
I watched the Warren Miller film from a couple of years ago and captured several Audioslave tunes.
McMark
My recent favorites:

Joe Purdy (listen to Ode to Sad Clown
Plain White T's (listen to Serious Mistake)
The Zutons (listen to Pressure Point)
McMark
Oh, and The Fratellis (listen to Creepin Up The Backstairs)

Apparently I'm just going to keep editing this post. biggrin.gif If you haven't listened to much of The White Stripes, they are really talented. It's a bit of a different sound, pretty raw, but it's sooo soooo good. And along the lines of White Strips are the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Kills. Which are both good.
tat2dphreak
I'll second mcMark's last post and add wolfmother, raconteurs and modest mouse to that mix...

I'm big on 3 days grace, avenged sevenfold and stone sour too...

if you like reggae, check out the easy star all stsr dub band... they have an album called 'dub side of the moon' which is reggae version of dark side of the moon by pink floyd
EdwardBlume
Cool dude. This is what I'm talking about! Keep 'em coming! beerchug.gif
tat2dphreak
if you like folky-style music, try todd snider, I can't recommend it highly enough... the live albums are especially badass because he tells little stories about how he came up with the songs... very entertaining
Gint
And I've found that I really like Staind.
Gint
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Jun 11 2009, 05:46 PM) *
The free "Pandora" app on iPhone is great! Just select a genre (i.e. "British Invasion") and you can listen to your heart's content!

Speaking for myself I know about Pandora. But I was referring to an app called Shazam that "listens" to 10 seconds or so of a song and identifies the title, artist, etc... So when you hear something you like and you don't know what or who it is, this will tell you 95% of the time.
McMark
Wayne, you should check out Pepper (album: Kona Town).
Gint
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 11 2009, 05:49 PM) *
If you haven't listened to much of The White Stripes, they are really talented. It's a bit of a different sound, pretty raw, but it's sooo soooo good. And along the lines of White Strips are the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Kills. Which are both good.

Thanks. The White stripes I especially like. I had just tagged a Yeah Yeah Yeahs tune yesterday!
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 11 2009, 10:18 PM) *

will do! I'll d/l now!
Scott S
CHICKENFOOT!!!!

http://www.chickenfoot.us/
McMark
Listening to Ok Go (Let it Rain off Oh No) which is another good one.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 11 2009, 05:40 PM) *

OK, so I went to buy some music last night for the first time in 3 years and I found myself just wandering aimlessly not finding anything really cool. I like to kick around 80's and 90's rock, and I've had a tough time finding the good stuff.

So now I'm asking YOU the 914 crowd to help me out and come up with some really good songs...

What have you added lately that's the "good stuff"?

If you like 80's, I think you will really dig Kings of Leon and Queens of the Stone-Age.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 11 2009, 10:18 PM) *

Pepper is blowing my mind!

I'm listening to the album a second time now.. fucking great!
McMark
Yup, the whole thing rocks.
turboman808
I believe you can get Slacker for the iphone now. I was told that for pandora you need a constant internet connection. Slacker stores music on the iphone so it work everywhere and when driving.

Slowly Slacker is building in popularity. Really great program.
Zundfolge
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Jun 12 2009, 09:29 AM) *

Yeah, I just got their debut CD and its pretty darn good. Been a fan of Satriani since Surfing with the Alien but this is much more of a radio band, they'll likely be a lot of fun live.

Also been listening to a lot of Muse lately (sort of a blend of early U2 and early Iron Maiden with touches of Queen and The Cure here and there).
Dr Evil
Here is a similar thread with suggestions:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...90&hl=songs
EdwardBlume
Thanks! So far, I've added a few from here, plus some older stuff like:

Monkey Business - Skid Row
House of Pain - Faster Pussycat (acoustic)
3 Nickelback songs

...will check out Chickenfoot for shore..

I need more of the good stuff.
JC 914
Try Tower of Power:

Soul Vaccination
Down To The Nightclub
iamchappy
Not for everyone but lately i've been enjoying, Iggy Pop, Devo, B52's, Talking Heads, Clash, with a little Marley thrown in there. Funny, Fun, Silly music....
HAM Inc
If you haven't listened to much of The White Stripes, they are really talented. It's a bit of a different sound, pretty raw, but it's sooo soooo good.

Since you like the White Stripes you ought to see if you can find anything by the 80's band The Flat Duo Jets. That's the 2 piece group that Jack White admitted to copping his sound from. He very nobally honored Duo Jet frontman Dexter Romweber at an awards show a few years ago.
Finding old Jets recordings might be tough, but you can find newer stuff by Romweber on Bloodshot Records online catalog. If you have a copy (and who the hell does?!) of the 80's rocumentary Athens Inside Out there is live footage of the Duo Jets. They were wild and out there man!
Scott S
Nickleback?

NOOooOOOOooOOOOooOOOOooOOOOoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Well, you might as well get some Creed then too.

icon8.gif barf.gif blowup.gif
Gint
There has been this tune on the radio called Forewarned that I like but my iphone app couldn't recognize it. I finally tracked it down. Local band, The Swayback. I like 'em. On their myspace page you can listen to all of the songs on their one album, "Long Gone Lads".

http://www.myspace.com/theswayback
EdwardBlume
Wifey and I added a bunch of songs last night... I walked out when she got into Evanessence... but I did pick up some The Killers...
tat2dphreak
if she likes evenessance.. look for Skunk Anasie I saw them open for Rollins Band... one of the best rock female vocalists I've ever heard... Stoosh is the album I recommend
Gint
I'm diggin this thread... rock_band.gif

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jun 22 2009, 08:56 AM) *
if she likes evenessance.. look for Skunk Anasie I saw them open for Rollins Band... one of the best rock female vocalists I've ever heard... Stoosh is the album I ecommend

Is that "Skunk Anansie"?
tat2dphreak
yea, my typing sucks. biggrin.gif

stoosh is the only itunes album.

hit youtube for "brazen" and "hedonism" for some good samples
Lavanaut
Off the top of my head --
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead: Source Tags & Codes
Tapes 'n' Tapes: The Loon
Alkaline Trio: Good Mourning

Based on some of what you said you like, maybe --
30 Seconds to Mars: (Self Titled)
The Hourly Radio: (Self Titled)
Jane's Addiction: take your pick...but Nothing's Shocking is epic

Stuff I really like but maybe not for everyone --
Biffy Clyro: The Vertigo of Bliss
No Knife: Fire in the City of Automatons
These Arms Are Snakes: This is Meant to Hurt You
Jawbox: My Scrapbook of Fatal Accidents
Jets to Brazil: Orange Rhyming Dictionary
Knapsack: Silver Sweepstakes

QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Jun 12 2009, 12:06 PM) *

Since you like the White Stripes you ought to see if you can find anything by the 80's band The Flat Duo Jets.

Sweet, that's something I will check out.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.