Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash Cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nick mironov

Has anyone installed the Coverlay 914 dash cover? What is the quality of the unit and what where the installation results?

Seems they are available from Pelican Parts and Automotion for under $100.

Nick

drive-ability
I asked that question a few years back and was met with a chair.gif
firstknight13
i have never seen a good one that you can't tell right off that it is a cap....ray
StratPlayer
There is a good one out there but it isn't coverlay, its redash.

No glue, no bullshit, the best I've seen.

http://www.porschepalace.net/
cobra94563
I have a dash cover. Fits great! Got it off ebay.
I think it looks surpising good... better than an attempted repaired or repaint.
markb
Dashtopper is the brand we get, and I put one in my second red car, and it fits & looks good.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
they look ok as a cheap cover but will eventually warp yet are guaranteed just the hassle of sending the blue tag back. At least if you install you will not harm anything and while your 914 wears it you can save for a replacement dash. I would CERTAINLY not use one for concours! We do sell many many of them though.
Zundfolge
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jun 11 2009, 10:03 PM) *

Yeah, those look good, but I can't find any prices on their site.

Of course I could hardly stand to stay on their site eve long enough for it to load. I swear to GOD there is a special place in hell for people that put music in their web sites (especially without an off button) ... its the same part of hell as child molesters and people that talk in the theater.
yeahmag
QUOTE(Zundfolge @ Jun 12 2009, 10:46 PM) *

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Jun 11 2009, 10:03 PM) *

Yeah, those look good, but I can't find any prices on their site.

Of course I could hardly stand to stay on their site eve long enough for it to load. I swear to GOD there is a special place in hell for people that put music in their web sites (especially without an off button) ... its the same part of hell as child molesters and people that talk in the theater.

I've been in contact with them and you send them your dash. They then "smooth" it and apply a new cover.

"aaron

this isnt applied like a cap
caps are PVC and put on with silicone
this is made from the same material as 1987 and on porsche dash
the original dash will have to be leveled and filled before this is applied
its applied with liquid nails if doing at home
Adhesive has to be trowel on like cementing a tile floor
then re dash applied and rolled out as you would do with linoleum
goes on like a second skin thus needing the surface smooth and level

gene"
rfuerst911sc
I purchased and installed a Coverlay from Pelican Parts 3 weeks ago, sorry George I had a coupon. I had to do zero trimming it fit great! I dry fit it first to make sure, then applied the silicone glue ( supplied ) and popped it into place. I piled on the phone books for weight and used large wood workers clamps to pull it snug around the gauge cluster. Let it dry overnight and it looks great. Can you tell it's a cover......sure. But it's a hell of a lot nicer than what was there before in my case and I did it myself. I did buy from AA the replacement vinyl and foam for the rest of the dash so I'm good to go. Looks great for a driver. My 2 cents. biggrin.gif I will say that I'll have to " shim " the ash tray holder " down " about an 1/8th of an inch or so to provide enough clearance for it to open and close smoothly. Currently the dash top interferes with the movement. No big deal.
StratPlayer
The redash that I bought cost around 60 bucks. Its held in place by the A pillars and no silicone or glue is needed. I had a coverlay cap on before I put the redash on and there is no comparision. The redash is far superior, the texture of the cap is much better, the fit is much better. The price was also much better, they were selling them on ebay for a short while, it looks like now you have to order it from Porsch Palace.
computers4kids
When I had my bahia 74, I bought a perfect dash only to have it crack 3 weeks later. headbang.gif Anyway, I had a really nice coverlay that came with one of my parts cars that I installed for a while. It actually fit so nice that no glue etc was necessary to hold in place...fit like a glove. I figured it would protect the dash from cracking anymore. I finally took it off and gave it away a month later, I just didn't like the "fake" look and feel. Sure from a few feet it looked OK, but I decided I prefered the natural dash with a crack than the coverlay. wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.