Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I fix a gapping window?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahdoman
Early door (1970). Window fits great at the front but has a significant gap at the back. Any idea how to fix this?

Click to view attachment
Spoke
Assuming your door gaps are ok, there's a nut and screw under the door that adjusts the height of the window.

Loosen the nut and screw the screw out and the window should go higher.
McMark
That problem is fixed by taking off the door panel and there is a bolt (10mm wrench) that bumps into the door frame to stop it from going higher. The bolt is right near the window crank and is visible in this picture.

It also doesn't look like your roof is down quite all the way.
orange914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 11 2009, 07:57 PM) *

That problem is fixed by taking off the door panel and there is a bolt (10mm wrench) that bumps into the door frame to stop it from going higher. The bolt is right near the window crank and is visible in this picture.

It also doesn't look like your roof is down quite all the way.

what about the early style, is that similar? i'm qurious too, the best i could see on my early is the door end cap/window guide seems to stop the travel at the up position.

mike
ahdoman
McMark - It is an early window assembly. The roof isn't all the way latched. I unlatched it to be able to see the gap. With the roof latched it's hard to photograph the gap.

Spoke - Are you talking about the adjustment for the front window track?
McMark
Oh yeah, I wasn't thinking early/late. Whoops! pinch.gif

Here's the early adjustment, the bolt without the arrow. wink.gif The one that's vertical, not the one that's horizontal.
IronHillRestorations
You can also get that if the rollers are bad, so I'd probably check those out too.
roadster fan
Steve did the window just start going out of adjustment? If so I would be with Perry on this one. The rollers at the top front of the window may be wearing causing the glass to tilt back. To fix you have to remove the front track/wing window assembly to check the rollers.

Jim
orange914
do the early have up limit adjustments? the bottom stud/nut adjust the in/out tilt.

mike
Spoke
The window adjustments for the early doors are with the bolt & screw pointed out with the green and red arrows.

The bolt shown with the green arrow adjusts the window in and out as well as balances the window gap front to back. Loosen the nut and turn the screw in and out to move the window in and out. Move the nut left and right to change the window height front to back. Make these adjustments first.

The screw shown with the red arrow adjusts the total height of the window. Loosen the lock bolt and turn the screw to adjust the height. The window should be partially down when making the adjustment so there is no pressure on the screw.
Guys,
Can you adjust the fixed glass ahead of roll up window ? Mine sorta binds on the A pillar when closing.. Any thoughts ???
Spoke
QUOTE(914 @ Jun 13 2009, 11:17 AM) *

Guys,
Can you adjust the fixed glass ahead of roll up window ? Mine sorta binds on the A pillar when closing.. Any thoughts ???

Assuming the geometry of your door and windshield are ok, the adjustment in my previous post with the green arrow will adjust the post that holds the fixed glass. The adjustment allows you to move the post in and out, front and back. This will affect how the moving glass fits to so it is a trade off between the 2.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jun 12 2009, 02:08 PM) *

You can also get that if the rollers are bad, so I'd probably check those out too.

Who has the replacement rollers and how are they replaced?

-- Rob
IronHillRestorations
AFIK, the rollers are a Porsche part, I don't know if anyone makes aftermarket.

You take the rubber cap off the chrome channel, roll the window all the way up and pull the window out. There's four pins at the front of the window, on each side two top and bottom, the rollers and a small circular plastic spring bushing (I call it a snowflake) that the window rolls on in the channel.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jun 15 2009, 08:40 AM) *

AFIK, the rollers are a Porsche part, I don't know if anyone makes aftermarket.

You take the rubber cap off the chrome channel, roll the window all the way up and pull the window out. There's four pins at the front of the window, on each side two top and bottom, the rollers and a small circular plastic spring bushing (I call it a snowflake) that the window rolls on in the channel.

I believe that the roller is part of the 'power window' mechanism... and I'd rather not have to buy that part.... idea.gif

-- Rob

BTW, I just checked with the local Porsche dealership and they want $200 for the part.... wacko.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.