Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I bought my first 6!! Questions....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mr914
I bought my first 6!!!!!!!!!! aktion035.gif #269

It is a rust-or-ation project. Side jack spurs questionable, RF corner of floor pan hosed, Rear triangles questionable..

Before I do anything stupid hanged.gif , I thought I should ask some 6 owners how to.

I've owned 4 cyl cars since 1980, yet have never really fiddled with a 6.....

How do I jack the ass end up? On the 4's, I've always either gone under the sump plate or the center of the trans. With the 6's unique engine mount, I don't want to cause myself any more greif.

Rear Jackstand location? On the 4's, I always use the engine cross bar. Is it safe/advisable to support the car on the trailing arm/mounts?

Where is the center of gravity on a 6 for dropping an engine?

Do I use a single floor jack or two?

Thanks for the help
Mike D.
All 914 with rusty jack holes, ( ha ha, he said jack hole), Use a floor jack and 2x4 under the jack hole area/ door.

Raise the car a bit, put a jack stand under the trailing arm. Then move the other side and do the same. Then back and forth until the car is High enough to what you want.

Or just lift it from the transmission, I do it all the time.

-Mike D.
mr914
Even on a 6?
r_towle
I personaly would never jack up by the transmission, or the engine...seems like all the weight of the car sitting on the transmission mounts is not a good thing.

If you jack up the car by the rear triangles, or just under the firewall next to the triangle, your are in the right place...
If your car flexes alot when you do that, you might want to take the engine out soon..

I jack from both sides if I want both rear tires off the ground.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.