Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Lust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike_the_man
Hi all,

Ever since I can remember I've lusted after 911s. I bought the 914 more as stepping stone on the road of Porsche ownership, but I've really come to love the 914. In any case, a 911 has come up for sale locally, and I'm thinking about selling the 914 to buy the 911. I know it's probably a sin, and I know I probably shouldn't do it, but I'm seriously thinking about it.

I still have to take a close look at the 911 to determine if it's worth my time. And that brings me to the point of this post. smile.gif

I have a few questions about 911s. The car I'm looking at is a 76, but at some point it's had a rebuilt 3.0l installed, along with a rebuilt transmission. Since I know next to nothing about sixes, are there any visual clues to confirm that this is indeed a 3.0l, and not the 2.7. Is there a range of engine #s that the 3.0l should fall into? I'm not sure what shop rebuilt the engine, but I plan to get those details tonight, and I'll probably be posting another question regarding the shop.

Also, I'm guessing that a non-stock engine would de-value the car? Personally I would prefer the 3.0l over the 2.7, but I imagine resale would probably be negatively affected by this.

Anything else I should be aware of that is specific to the 76s? I've looked at the buyers guide on Pelican.

Sorry for the long rambling post!

Thanks all,
tat2dphreak
Ever since I can remember I've lusted after 911s. I bought the 914 more as stepping stone on the road of Porsche ownership, but I've really come to love the 914.

I totally Identify with you. I've even thought of getting a 911 as a DD to go with the 914...

I would think replacing the 2.7 would INCREASE the value... considering the problems I;ve heard with the 2.7...

who cares anyway, just drive it! get a good mechanic to check it out.
PanelBilly
Have you driven the cars? They are a totally different feel than the 914. I almost bought one several times, but when I take one for a ride, I change my mind.

Then again I haven't driven my 914 in YEARS, but I still enjoy owning it.
mike_the_man
I haven't driven this 911 yet, though I'm hoping to take it for a spin after work today. I've driven a few other 911s though. And I've driven my 914 quite a bit, though not this year yet. I realize they're different cars. I really like the 914, and it will be a hard decision to make. I've owned it for about 6 years now, and I think it might be time for a change.

Cheers,
Cap'n Krusty
There's a number stamped in the top of the case, close to the fan support. The Engine number is stamped on the vertical right support, the type number is slightly to the right and forward of that, on a basically horizontal surface. It will be 9xx/xx. Get that number for me, and I can tell you what it is (was?). Actually, either number will work, but the latter is best. The 3.0 case is aluminum, like the 914. The 2.7 case is a mag alloy, and is NOT shiny. Darker gray color, like a VW T1 case.

Personally, I'd buy an SC. Better car, galvanized body, all the bugs worked out of 'em. 1980-1983 cars are best. As always, buy the BEST car you can afford. Prices are good right now, if you look around some.

The Cap'n
EdwardBlume
For early car driving, a 914 with a 3.0 must be a great experience. I've only had the 2.0 on the street and love it but the spontaneous power is lacking. I had a 993 for 6 years. It was fun, but different. In the end, I got tired of it. I also had a Boxster, it was fun and did everything right. The only thing I didn't like was that it really is a chick car, unless you trick it out track wise. I may go back and get a 74-89 911 someday, buy it'll be likely a turbo.

Everyone's different though. The journey is fun..
turboman808
Everyone should have a 914 gt and a 911 rsr.
mike_the_man
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 12 2009, 10:45 AM) *

There's a number stamped in the top of the case, close to the fan support. The Engine number is stamped on the vertical right support, the type number is slightly to the right and forward of that, on a basically horizontal surface. It will be 9xx/xx. Get that number for me, and I can tell you what it is (was?). Actually, either number will work, but the latter is best. The 3.0 case is aluminum, like the 914. The 2.7 case is a mag alloy, and is NOT shiny. Darker gray color, like a VW T1 case.

Personally, I'd buy an SC. Better car, galvanized body, all the bugs worked out of 'em. 1980-1983 cars are best. As always, buy the BEST car you can afford. Prices are good right now, if you look around some.

The Cap'n

Thanks Cap'n ! I'll get some numbers tonight and report back. 911s were galvanized in 74, were they not? One of the reasons I'm considering this is because I thought it was galvanized. Having fewer rusty surprises would be a nice change.

Are there any significant differences in brakes and suspension between the mid 70s 911s and the SCs?

Thanks!
Ferg
I've been a sinner (914 less) for a while now stirthepot.gif

Do I miss 914's? YES, I'm constantly thinking about them, but only when I'm not driving this w00t.gif

Click to view attachment

I would have not issue of a 76 with a 3.0, ONLY if the body is pristine, and if it was well sorted. Otherwise, I'd shop for a nice SC, they are a good value right now.

Ferg driving.gif
Racer
911 received partial galvinazation in '74 but were not fully galvanized till at least '76, maybe even '77

Even if it has an SC motor, you need to have a PPI to have head studs checked. This is a weak point of SC motors. The more that are broke, the more it costs to fix.

Mid years (74-77) are currently overlooked, but will no doubt gain attention, especially for unmolested examples in the coming years. The 3.0 is the better motor, but obviously not original.

Make sure the airbox has a pop-off valve and that oil fed tensioners have been retrofitted as well. Otherwise, the motor should be both bulletproof and strong!

Check for rust in the usual spots - cowl, batterybox (front suspension).. door jams.. If a targa, be sure to check the rear window seals. Targas are notorious for leaking.. and the water collects along the rear floor, seats and engine firewall.

Having enjoyed owning both 914s and 911s over the years they both have their good points. 911s sound great and make great track and long distance drivers. 914s, due to lightness, are just as fun but more nimble.

Check out rubber bushings, particularly in the rear trailing arms. If the torsion bar tube is centered, that is good.. it it rubs at the "bottom" the bushings need replacement.

Chris Hamilton
I've got 3 914s and a 912, and I have to say my favorite car is the 912. I've never driven a 911 more than around town a bit, but I love the way the rear engine 912 handles.

I also love how much interior space I have. It's always been a challenge to get a good pair of seats in a 914, but the 911 body has so much room you can fit a nice pair of recaros or corbeaus or somesuch and not hit your head on the roof.

I can post some pics of the interior if you'd like.
sixgt
Agree with Dave. Sometime during the 76 model year they were fully galavanized. I have seen some very rusty 76's. So definitely look for rust.
Buy the best one that you can find/afford. PPI is important as these cars are 30+ years old and will always find some issues.
A later 911SC will have flares, larger wheels, 3.0, etc.
Spoke
I took the plunge a couple months ago to an 86 911 turbo (282HP). It is a much different feel from my 2L 914. Always loved the 911 and also the 914. The 914 was much more affordable so I ended up with 2 914s.

I sold my green 74 2L 914 to buy this one. The acceleration is unbelievable! In 3rd gear recently I went from 70mph to 120mph in a few seconds.

My red 71 1.8L 914 can be seen in the corner of the garage. It's getting a new engine and sideshift tranny (Thanks Dr. Evil) and some rust repair.

The 911 turbo is a beast. It is very hard to go slow in this car.
Project 6
Your penis automatically shrinks 30% when you buy a 911. Other than that, they are fun....
mike_the_man
QUOTE(Project 6 @ Jun 12 2009, 01:54 PM) *

Your penis automatically shrinks 30% when you buy a 911. Other than that, they are fun....

I've always wanted to have a 12 inch pianist! shades.gif

I'd also be able to hang out with the real Whine and Cheese Porsche guys! No more NARP for me!

It's a tough decision though. I really like the 914, and I really like hanging out here.

Decisions decisions...
rfuerst911sc
I own a 83SC and I'm currently building a 914GT. To be honest I've never ridden in a 914 and bought this chassis on a whim to build a GT. Anyway I love my 911. Fully galvanized chassis and a nice road feel. Mine is fairly tricked out in the chassis setup and I converted to PMO carbs. The 911 is very well put together, when you close the door it just sounds good biggrin.gif . The chassis you are thinking of buying only has minimal galvanizing. Make sure you look at front suspension pickup points, the floors and the back seat area. Is it a coupe or Targa? And what year 3.0 does it have? The 78-79 are considered big port engines and breath a little better at higher revs. The 80-83 are small port and make better torque. They are all good engines but are prone to headstuds breaking so a PPI is really recommended. I can drive mine well but it takes some time to get used to the rear bias. I'm really looking forward to driving my GT clone with her 78 3.0. happy11.gif I plan on keeping both cars. Good luck with your purchase. beerchug.gif
Cap'n Krusty
I believe 77 MY cars were galvanized, and I think that's when the change occurred.

Another point: If it's a Targa, be prepared for both leaks and wind noise. It's a fact of ownership, and for that reason I'd never buy one to be a keeper. I've bought and sold a couple in the past couple of years (we have one right now), but I HATE them.

The Cap'n
GeorgeRud
I've owned a 75 911 targa, and an 87 911 cabriolet, and both were fun cars, but the 87 definitely let you feel the weight. I owned them when our kids were small and we needed a back seat. When they outgrew the back seats, out went the 911s. Hopping back into the 914-6, it feels like a hummingbird! Hopping into the GT conversion, it's just as quick as the 911s, but handles nicer. You can be really stupid in a 914 and get away with a lot that an early 911 would bite you for!

I need the removeable top for headroon, so a coupe or a sunroof were never options for me, but I only drive them in the nice weather anyway. I'd look for the best car you can find, but if I was looking for a daily driver, I'd try to get an 87 or later with the Motronic injection and the G50 gearbox. Other than valve guide issues, they are pretty much bulletproof IMHO.

ps Yes, the targas do leak.
PRS914-6
I have a 84 911, while it's more comfy to drive than the 914 it's clearly not as fun to drive. After I drove the 911 for a couple of years, I got tired of having to stay on top of that dreaded off throttle oversteer.

My solution was to have my cake and eat it too. Build a 3.6 powered 914 and add some comforts. The 914 handles better and gets more attention than a 911 because you simply don't see a ton of nice 914's on the road. It will accelerate faster than most cars on the road. I never drive the 911 now and will be selling it soon.

My opinion: Take the money you would spend on the 911 and invest it in the 914.....

Comparison:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Katmanken
Blasphemers!!!!!

Coveting ass draggers......

Be not tempted by cute ass draggers, thou shalt remove their ass located motivators and place them in the middle of a 914 where they were intended......

Seriously, every time I ride or drive one I'm reminded of the exciting handling of my wanna swap ends Beetle and how much better a balanced car is....
zymurgist
Covet this. laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
Ericv1
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 14 2009, 01:54 AM) *

Beautiful! I have a 70 longhood tha I'm putting back together now. The PO was making it into a track car and lost interest. Somewhere along the line, the car was updated to look like an 80SC. It's a shame, it would cost around 10-15,000 to put it back into original condition. Mechanically, it's in tip top shape after a year of replacing parts. I have to admit, there's nothing like the sound of an early six. Interstingly, after 39 years there's very little rust that has to be remedied befroe I prep the body for paint.
zymurgist
Lucky you! My car's body has had rust repair, most notably under the rear seats (fabricated by body man as the seat buckets are not available). Apparently it used to be brown at one time, but I definitely think the PO picked a better color.

Not anything near an original '70 as I have a 2.4 with MFI and 190 hp at the wheels (dyno'ed several years back). There are a few mechanical issues that I have been too lazy to deal with, but maybe I'll get to them this summer if I'm not too tempted to go driving around in the Corvette. wink.gif

EDIT: The front bumper and ducktail are fiberglass. I picked up another fiberglass bumper (a spare?) at Carlisle for $10, but it has several cracks that need to be patched up. I figure I'll use it as fiberglassing practice, so I'll eventually end up with a nice spare.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.