Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing a '74 shift rod
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
I'm removing the shifter and all linkage rods from my '74 and want to use them for a side shift conversion on my nephews 914 ('71). My question is, when removing the parts from my '74 it seemed like I couldn't remove the front shift rod (the one in the tunnel) until I removed the engine. I pulled it out from the rear once the engine was removed, but I thought it should be removable from the inside via the holes in the tunnel. I tried every angle I could think of to get it out via the tunnel holes, but couldn't find a way. Is it possible to remove it from the tunnel through the shifter hole?? or better yet, am I going to be able to install it in the '71 with out pulling the engine?? I could've sworn that I did this on a '76 I used to own, but I can't remember if the engine was in or out at the time. confused24.gif
JWest
You can do it if you support the engine and remove the engine mount cross bar. The shift rod has to come out the back.
East coaster
Thanks James! I was starting to think I was losing my mind! I plan on using one of your shifters in my car with my 915 setup. What shift rod do I use with your shifter and a Wevo 915??
machina
I pulled mine, had to for engine removal. The rear coupling was easy, the front coupling was a bitch.

I stripped the 4mm allen and could not get it out. The car was only 14" off the ground so I couldn't get a good angle to drill it out.

Ended up having to remove the rear shifter housing which dumped all the gearlube on the floor. Then I drilled the hell out of the coupling.

have fun.

dr
JWest
QUOTE(East coaster @ Mar 4 2004, 11:40 AM)
Thanks James! I was starting to think I was losing my mind! I plan on using one of your shifters in my car with my 915 setup. What shift rod do I use with your shifter and a Wevo 915??

The 915 setups use the 911/tail-shift type shifter, so you would use the 911 shifter for a 915 from me.

The shift rod is of the tail-shift type, but I am not sure which parts you have to come up with or are included with the conversion.
John
You are talking about the front shift rod in later model (1973+ cars), and not the rear bar, right? The rear bar is easy enough without removing anything.

The front shift rod in the late model cars is removable without removing the engine or engine bar. I had to slide teh bar into the center tunnel and remove the bushing in the firewall to do it, but it is possible.

When putting them in with the engine in the car, I have put the rod in and then put the firrewall bushing in then poked the rod back through the bushing. This is exactly how I did it when I changed out my firewall bushing.

Do you have the bushings/adapters for use with the 71 car? As I recall, the hole is quite different and there is some additional hardware mounted to the lower firewall on the 71 car. (a pivot ball or something). {No I don't sell them} I was just wondering because When I have converted earlier cars, I have cut the lower firewall and grafted 73+ parts to the lower firewall. This allowed me to use the rubber boot at the firewall to keep crap off of the shift knuckle.
JWest
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Mar 4 2004, 12:35 PM)
The front shift rod in the late model cars is removable without removing the engine or engine bar. I had to slide teh bar into the center tunnel and remove the bushing in the firewall to do it, but it is possible.

YMMV then, as I had the firewall bushing out and the rod would not come past the mount bar. The interference was so great that it appeared the rod may not even come past the engine with bar removed, but it did.
John
YMMV?
JWest
"Your mileage may vary". It was not going to happen on my car, but that was my situation.
John
Ahhh, thanks.

BTW, what is that shifter shown in your avatar? It kind of resembles a 911 shifter but not exactly. Or is it just that the boot is not down.....
JWest
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Mar 4 2004, 02:14 PM)
Ahhh, thanks.

BTW, what is that shifter shown in your avatar? It kind of resembles a 911 shifter but not exactly. Or is it just that the boot is not down.....

RennShift - you can see it at the link at the bottom of this post. There are reviews in the archives of this board (do a search on rennshift) if you would like to read more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.