Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Made in China Fuel Pumps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AvalonFal
Anybody here use this made in China repro pump on a 914?? It has gotten good feedback so far (but only 17). I'm curious about the statement on the arrangements of the ports:

"nearest with electrical plug and silver cap is for fuel exit, the center one is for relief overpressure..."

Isn't it the reverse on an original pump, or am I mistaken??

China

Paul
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we had thought that they would be the solution to the discontinued part but they are experiencing a high failure rate and should not be trusted as 100% reliable. We sell them but guarantee them for two years but of course the hassle of the removal and reinstallation is a bad experience.
davesprinkle
QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Jun 12 2009, 12:01 PM) *

I'm curious about the statement on the arrangements of the ports:

"nearest with electrical plug and silver cap is for fuel exit, the center one is for relief overpressure..."

Isn't it the reverse on an original pump, or am I mistaken??

Paul

Paul, you're right to be skeptical of the port description. Cause it's wrong. The silver can houses the over-pressure relief valve. Thus the nipple nearest the can is the overpressure vent port.
AvalonFal
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 12 2009, 03:26 PM) *

we had thought that they would be the solution to the discontinued part but they are experiencing a high failure rate and should not be trusted as 100% reliable. We sell them but guarantee them for two years but of course the hassle of the removal and reinstallation is a bad experience.

George:
Thanks for your honesty.

Paul
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I trust or buy nothing from CHINA , and have felt this way for 40 yrs or so.

I was on the buy American kick when it wasn't the thing to do.

Kinda like " I was country when Country wasn't Cool "

Of course some call me a optionated old fart. I am !!!!!!!

Dave slap.gif
70Sixter
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jun 15 2009, 11:58 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif I trust or buy nothing from CHINA , and have felt this way for 40 yrs or so.
Dave slap.gif

I agree. Ask Disney company!

Chinese fuel pump sounds like a fire waiting to happen. There is a reason for the expression 'Chinese Fire Drill."

On the other hand if you have leaded gas it might be right at home.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jun 15 2009, 08:58 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

I trust or buy nothing from CHINA , and have felt this way for 40 yrs or so.

I was on the buy American kick when it wasn't the thing to do.

Kinda like " I was country when Country wasn't Cool "

Of course some call me a optionated old fart. I am !!!!!!!

Dave slap.gif

we have had mixed results. Some of the stuff is very very good other stuff CRAP!!!! It however is cheap enough to try out first and if it doesn't work we have not spent that much money on it. China is now how Japan was after WWII. My Dad used to always comment about the "cheap jap junk" that flooded America. China will eventually catch up with the quality (and the resultant price!) At least we can make some unavailable 914 parts in the small quantities needed, reasonably
swl
hey George - memories of my own Dad came flooding back with the 'cheap jap junk" line!

QA is without a doubt the biggest problem with Chinese products. They really don't seem to care that 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 don't work. Just give the customer another one. IMHO there is also incredible greed going on over there. The type of greed that makes a company mix melamine into protien powder to get a better price for it.

Dave I don't know how you manage to avoid buying stuff from China. It is everywhere. I swear 90% of Walmarts stuff is from China. Sears is not far behind. Up here we have Canadian Tire and Princess Auto - same deal. I search hard for the 'Made in Canada' label or failing that 'Made in the USA' but darn it is hard to find what you need!

What scares me about the rise in Chinese manufacturing is not the competition but the fact we are closing manufacturing here and will soon loose our expertise. Then they will have by the throat. And you know we will only have ourselves to blame because of our search for 'reasonably' (read 'cheap') stuff. Buy local and keep your neighbor working. Your kids will thank you for it.

George there are thousands of small scale manufacturing plants going out of business every year. Surely somewhere in there is someone who can do the job. It may cost a little more but really is it not worth it?
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

SWL:

Yeh your right it's very hard to find made in America lable on any thing now.

As to Wally World they will never get a cent of my money. The nice thing

about living in a small town in a rural area there are still a lot of small Mom

and Pop businesses, they still have a quality mind set. So a item costs 5.00 or

10.00 more it's only money. And I can't take it with me can I.

I suppose this will set off a few here, so go ahead.

Dave slap.gif
914Sixer
We have become a country that makes nothing!!! Cheaper is not better, I do not give a damm about what Wal-Mart says.
Cap'n Krusty
The June issue of "Automobile" has a multiple page ad for Weather Tech floor mats. In the ad the owner talks about his products, and his company. Even the machinery and the materials for their products are mined, produced, and sourced in the US and Canada. I, for one, Like that. I understand being a German car tech and owner may conflict with that, but I've long understood the drain on our manufacturing sector and would prefer to source parts and services right here at home whenever possible. No Wally World for me, ever, and not much Sears, Target, K-mart, and the like whenever I can avoid them.

The Cap'n
70Sixter
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 16 2009, 09:07 PM) *

The June issue of "Automobile" has a multiple page ad for Weather Tech floor mats. In the ad the owner talks about his products, and his company. The Cap'n

agree.gif
Several others mags like R&T also. I admire the guy for bragging about his workers and processes in ads that are not cheap!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.