Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stereo size and location questions...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Hey guys:
My 914 has the original stock(?) AM radio in its usual place (not connected) and the glove box insides were removed and a newer/better stereo was mounted inside. I think this was a cool idea, but the glove box door could not be closed with the stereo mounted (not so cool - loose station presets).
Anyway, the stereo is kaput (my bad - it was old anyway) and I 'd like to keep this idea going but be able to keep the (new) stereo in the glove box at all times and be able to close the glove box door too. The problem is, there isn't a lot of depth in there. I'd guess I'd need a stereo that is only about 5" deep in order to make this work. There needs to be room for the wiring and antenna connection.
I've been searching everywhere for a decent 5" deep stereo, but can't seem to find one anywhere. I'd be looking to spend as little as possible ($150?) for this stereo, but if I found one that was 5" deep and would fit I might spend a little more.
So, here's the big question: Anyone ever seen a stereo that was only 5? deep? Do you think they even make them that shallow? I've checked JCW and ebay already - no luck.
If I can't find one, I just might restore the glove box back to the way it was, remove the stock AM radio and put a deeper stereo in that spot. I'm pretty sure there would be enough depth in that spot. Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Andy...
tat2dphreak
none are that shallow that I've ever seen... an option though... you can get a cheap FM radio(one that no one will ever steal) and get an FM-modulated CD-Changer to put in the glove box... or if all you're after is the "stealth look" get a player that "hides itsself" by flipping over it's face when the key is turned off...
rick 918-S
Fabricate a DIN acceptible sheet metal bracket that will tip the head unit down in the back a little. The glove box is kind of tipped like that. This should allow the extra room you need. Haven't done it myself, just a suggestion.
MarkV
I think there is more than 5 inches. Until recently I had a pull out stereo mounted in the stock location & rather than take it in the house I would just lock it in the glove compartment.
Rouser
I would restore the glove box to its original status (storage cubby hole), get a DIN stereo mount for the current/original location (AA sells one that works great), and just install a standard DIN head unit (AM/FM/XM/CD whatever) with a removeable faceplate (for security concerns). I've been running a 45W x 4 setup similar to this and it works like a champ.

If ya just gotta boom-boom-boom with ya zoom-zoom, you can add an amp(s) in the front trunk, cut up the interior and locate tweets/mids/woofs/subwoofs wherever you can spare/surrender vital real estate (i.e. legroom), than complain the engine's drowning out your tunes. In the long run, it's all a compromise anyway.
914zim
Thanks for the comments guys.
I think I'm leaning towards restoring the glove box and putting a decent stereo in the stock location.
I already have the huge amp in trunk and speakers mounted in front of the doors - thanks to the POs!
Good luck guys!
Andy...
TheCabinetmaker
A new stereo "should" come with the necessary mount. Mine did. I have a sony with the removable faceplate, 300watt amp and 10cd changer on the bulkhead in the front trunk. works great. enclosed poineer speakers behind seats, Plenty of boom boom even with the top off at 80mph.
Joe Ricard
Put stereo in glove compartment. Could lock it required. Used the stock location to mount extra gauges. Used Stereo remote control to operate head unit while still keeping eyes on road.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 5 2004, 11:36 AM)
Used the stock location to mount extra gauges.

good idea! idea.gif

I was wondering what to do with that hole... I plan to put a stereo where the heat controls are... which would have left a hole where the stereo is...

"HEAT?! I don't need no STEENKING HEAT!" laugh.gif
Just wondering, esp after reading Rouser's comments, can you use a mount like the one he noted from AA in the stock mounting place without cutting the dash? Ive still got the origional radio, and it works, but just AM..., so while I'd like to replace it with a new unit, do I have to cut up the dash to do so?

also,

how easy it it to hook up the wiring? I know the antenna and speakers will be easy, but what about the other stuff? ie-power or other?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(7391420 @ Mar 5 2004, 02:55 PM)

how easy it it to hook up the wiring? I know the antenna and speakers will be easy, but what about the other stuff? ie-power or other?

wiring a radio is EASY... I was doing it before I was a teenager... dad would have me help with that, because I was small enough to fit in the floorboard and do it...

not hard at all... all the wires are labeled on a radio, and the instructions that come with it are self explainitory...
Rouser
I'm telling you ... the radio install/swap into the stock location is major-EASY using a replacement DIN faceplate (for your year 914) from AA.

All you have to do is peel the former AM/FM faceplate off and install the DIN faceplate, than install the DIN mount for the head unit of your choice.

Sure, you can toss your heater controls, reinvent your dashboard, and redesign your entire interior, but it seems like a whole lot of trouble just to get it 6 inches closer to the steering wheel blink.gif .
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Rouser @ Mar 5 2004, 03:54 PM)

Sure, you can toss your heater controls, reinvent your dashboard, and redesign your entire interior, but it seems like a whole lot of trouble just to get it 6 inches closer to the steering wheel blink.gif .

but I AM reinventing my interior biggrin.gif I am saying NO to basket weave and yes to brushed aluminum!
Britain Smith
I just recently installed an older Kenwood CD player in the stock location by removing the basketweave covered panel, cutting it out a little bit, and installing the radio in the stock DIN location. I even wired it up to the fuse box to prevent cutting any wires and I am using a hidden antenna from Dakota Digital to prevent cutting holes in the body for an antenna. Everything works great. I am now waiting for some newer 4x6 speakers I got on ebay to get a little better quality sound.

-Britain
Chris914n6
OK, a few notes-
the hole in the dash is DIN. no cutting required. you're responsible for your own covering, whether basket weave or ???.
the space behind the heater controls is not deep enough for a stereo.
CD's are 5" in diameter, so you will not find a stereo under 5". Average is ~7".

You could make a swing down under dash unit.
You can install a perimeter sensor alarm.
smile.gif
HTH, Chris
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Mar 5 2004, 08:52 PM)

the space behind the heater controls is not deep enough for a stereo.
CD's are 5" in diameter, so you will not find a stereo under 5". Average is ~7".

I was afraid of that... I'm glad someone mentioned that then... I would have pulled it out only for it to not fit unsure.gif

thanks!
tracks914
I don't know about in the US but WalMart here in Canada sells Blaupuntk stereos/CD's and speakers for about $150 CAN. Good power, good sound, good price and still a German name. Only down fall is the stereo has a silver removable faceplate not all black.
Qarl
The dash frame should be cut out for DIN.

I made a new dash face and just made the opening for the radio in the basketweave the correct DIN size.

Here is the new stereo sleeve in the dash

(Note: The heater controls aren't crooked, it's just laying in the dash partially out!)
Rouser
Ditto kellzey: THAT'S exactly what you wind up with after installing a DIN faceplate and chassis mount, I just wasn't going to slide the head unit out to take a pic (lazy).
maf914
A few years ago I installed a nice Sony CD player in the stock location to replace the old Pioneer cassete unit . The DIN mounting sleeve fit perfectly, just like in Karl's photo. No other mods required. The Sony I bought has a basic black faceplate and is relatively inconspicuous. Works well. I like it!

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.