Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FI 1.7 hot starting issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nolift914
Having a problem starting my 1970 1.7 when it is hot, the car starts right up when cold but once it's been shut down it won't re start.

My previous 914 was carbed so i have very little exp with FI.

Does anyone have a checklist or a starting point to diagnose the problem

Thanks all in advance
r_towle
I was experiencing the same issue.
If you have tuned up everything...test a few things.

First..go read BAnders website on Djet FI...its full of all the troubleshooting charts.

Rich
thompson-mfr
It is possible it is a bad Starter/Solenoid. Heat causes resistance.

I replaced my starter when I first got my car as the old one was shot.

Went to local auto parts store and they sold me a Bosch starter rebuilt by Autolite. I would need to turn the key like 10 times to get it to start after hot.

Not sure if this is your problem but sounds likely.

If you buy a starter ONLY buy a BOSCH rebuilt by BOSCH VEEERRRRY Important.
Rand
Does it crank? If not, Ryan is on the right track. But I assume it must be turning over since you are on the FI track. Just to rule it out, I would verify you have spark since that only takes a minute. Then you'll have narrowed things down solidly. Somebody is probably going to suggest vapor lock, but I would be skeptical of that.
mdan
does it crank, if it does, but does not start, its probably your cht sensor. go to your local vw store and get one for your year, engine size etc. I just went through this same situation just last week.

Ie: car ran strong for 20, mins, slowly die and shut down, hard to restart etc, if I could get it to start, had to feather the throttle, and hope for the best. Talked to george at AA, and he recommend the cht sensor as the culprit.

Mike
72 1.7 to 2.0 FI

nolift914
Thanks for the quick responses, ops i forgot to list it cranks over but wont fire up.
when its cold it cranks and fires up on the first attempt, I have only driven it on the street a few times, but it ran without a problem.
It seems when i start in the driveway and let it warm up then shut it down and try to re fire, it just cranks.
I am worried if i drive some ware and shut it down it wont re start
nolift914
cht sensor = Cylinder Head Temp sensor ?
Rand
Does it run perfectly when hot? And when cranking, is it completely dead (as opposed to sounding like it might try to fire when feathering the gas)?

I'm thinking "yes" answers to those might make the CHT (yes=cylinder head temp) less suspect?

Need to narrow it down to fuel delivery or spark. Bad electronics can be affected by heat. Rule out spark first since that only takes a minute (just pull a plug wire, stick a plug in it, hold the threads against the case to ground, and watch for spark while someone cranks it). Fuel delivery troubleshooting takes more time.
john grier
Ok lets get back to basics
Did you just get this car?
How long ago was the last tune up?
Do not rely on the po.
I would do a full tune up includeing
valves, points, condenser,plugs,and timeing.

Make sure all that is right before you proceed.

John
nolift914
I recently purchased a 1970 1.7
The car appears to have the original engine including the oil bath airfilter

The car starts up fine and runs well,
Unknown when the last tune up was

It's been 12 years since my last 914, I was hopeful that it was known issue with the FI (ie bad sensor etc).

John you are right I got to do a full tune up

Thanks all

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.