Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: URO Rubber Replacement Bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I just watched a video on Youtube about these and bought a set from Drining Source on Ebay. Video shows no special tools needed. Heat bushings to 180 degrees in hot water, press on half way, lube bushing and arm with liquid soap and press on the rest with a shop press. Same installation for the rear.

Price $42.51 on sale and Free shipping Ebay # 380128874796

Listed under 911 parts, but works on 914 too.

Anybody tried these yet?

I am computer illiterate or I would post links. Video link is attached to the Ebay item number.
jaxdream
There was a fella here who did a write up recently , cannot remember his name , he used long all thread , if you know what I speak of , knocked the plugs out of the ends of the arms , used that and big washers. He also used 1 1/2 pvc as guides on the ends to get the bushings on, from what I seen in the pics ,he did a real good job of installing them . I eyeballed these for a time , same folks on e-bay , from the pics they seemed to be a tad shorter than oem. There was a fella on the bird board that recieved these and noted the shortness factor. i can't say if this would pose any problems , it's just the way the euro's seem to be made. I would go out on a limb to say I think these would be better than the currently available Plastic variety readily available and cheaply I also add, If that's what you can afford , I would understand that also ( my money tighter than a banjo string ). I oppted for Crf's delrins for the harder compound, if the euro's had been as long as oems, I would have snapped them up.Everyones ideas vary , if you like em please give some feedback on them , as I'm sure others have been looking at these also.
My 2 cents.

Jaxdream
Gint
ebay link to item #380128874796

And the video link (youtube)

idea.gif Hmmm.... looks pretty good.
kconway
I've got a set of the ER bushings with their tool that I haven't yet installed. I'll make the tool available to anyone here on a pass if forward basis when I'm done.
Kev
Wes V
I'm the guy that did the "threaded rod" install and here is a link to my write-up;

"installing URO bushings write-up"

The URO bushings appear to be the same dimensionally as stock. At least that's what I found.

kconway;

I'm assuming that when you say "ER", you are talking about Elephant Racing. It's nice that you are willing to let others use the tools they supply, however they will not sell their bushings without the tools being part of the package. Thus, anybody that plans on using their bushings would already have the tools. This is per a long phone conversation with one of their guys.

Wes
kconway
QUOTE(Wes V @ Jun 13 2009, 07:25 AM) *

I'm the guy that did the "threaded rod" install and here is a link to my write-up;

The URO bushings appear to be the same dimensionally as stock. At least that's what I found.

kconway;

I'm assuming that when you say "ER", you are talking about Elephant Racing. It's nice that you are willing to let others use the tools they supply, however they will not sell their bushings without the tools being part of the package. Thus, anybody that plans on using their bushings would already have the tools. This is per a long phone conversation with one of their guys.

Wes

Yeah, I got that. I meant as a tool for installing the URO bushings.
jaxdream
QUOTE(Wes V @ Jun 13 2009, 07:25 AM) *

kconway;

Wes

Sorry Wes , I could not remember your name , but i did read all of your write up and can say I thought it was great !!! piratenanner.gif Should be in the classics , recon what the mods think ??? smoke.gif

Jaxdream
MrKona
I bought the URO bushings from Ebay and installed them on the a-arms last weekend. I was going to take pictures, but I would have needed a third hand. I happen to have the same Harbor Freight press that's used in the Youtube video so I used the same method as in the video.

In the video, the rep uses a flat piece of aluminum and round aluminum piece to push the bushing cover all the way onto the arm. I used a flat piece of aluminum and a 2 1/4" OD PVC pipe section. As you can see from looking at the arm, with the bushing cover assembly fully seated, the arm will slightly protrude, so you need to finish it off with a round PVC piece that mates to the cover.

In the video, he heats the bushing, pushes it half way into the cover, then uses soap to lubricate the ID of the bushing and arm. For the front end, I ended up heating the bushings, then using a little soap to slide it into the bushing cover, and then more soap to push the assembly onto the arm. I actually did this part by hand, easy. Perhaps the powder coated arm made it easier to slide.

The rear bushing was harder. I was really wishing for those Elephant racing tools. As shown in the video, I heated the bushing, pushed it half way into the bushing cover without soap. As in the video, I lubed up the bushing ID and arm, then with the press, started pushing the assembly onto the arm. This is a much tighter fit than the front bushing. So tight in fact that the cover started sliding over the bushing as I installed it (before the bushing was fully seated). I had to pull it off and start the process over again.

I realized that this is the reason for not lubing the bushing OD; you need friction to that the bushing cover doesn't start sliding over the bushing before the bushing is fully seated onto the arm. The other problem is that once the bushing is fully seated on the arm, the bushing cover, instead of sliding over it to complete the installation, causes the bushing to mushroom.

So what worked for me was hand installing the bushing dry about 3/4 of the way into the bushing cover, rather than 1/2 way, as recommended in the video. This gives the right balance of friction during the install, and the bushing is also installed enough of the way into the cover so that it won't mushroom after it's seated.

I assume these are the issues that the Elephant Racing tool, or the very clever PVC tool that Wes created will help avoid.
MrKona
Rear..
Wes V
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Jun 13 2009, 09:44 AM) *

Sorry Wes , I could not remember your name , but i did read all of your write up and can say I thought it was great !!! piratenanner.gif Should be in the classics , recon what the mods think ??? smoke.gif

Jaxdream

Thanks for the comment, but it really isn't in a format that would work in the "classics". It's really nothing more than a link to my personal site.

I think it would be nice if the Moderators made up a section where they could post up links to addresses that are off site.

Wes
914Sixer
Thanks everybody. I will be ready to get started when they get here.
Gint
QUOTE(Wes V @ Jun 13 2009, 02:06 PM) *
Thanks for the comment, but it really isn't in a format that would work in the "classics". It's really nothing more than a link to my personal site.

I think it would be nice if the Moderators made up a section where they could post up links to addresses that are off site.

Wes

We do. 914 Info section (link at the top of every page) and then a link on the right hand side of the 914 info page, Links to other 914 Sites.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.