Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: todays it the engines going in !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
With the help of this forum and 2 1/2 years of work today my GT clone gets her motivation installed. I nervously woke up at 4:30 this morning as I couldn't sleep any longer smile.gif . I went out to the garage to give her a look and she's ready biggrin.gif . To back up a little on a whim I purchased a 1975 rolling chassis in December of 2006 sight unseen. I was able to view pictures but that was it. Turns out it was a good gamble as she turned out to be rust free as it was off the road and in a local garage since 1991. Purchased her for $900.00 with lots of extra parts. My goal was to turn her into a GT clone or since I have learned it really is a M471 clone. I knew I wanted a six and in 2008 I found a 1978 911 3.0 motor in N.C. that I purchased. Induction is 40mm Weber carbs and the ignition is a Jerry Woods massaged OEM distributor fired by a Mallory Hyfire CD box and a MSD Blaster coil. Ceramic coated headers from Brumos and a M&K 2 in 2 out muffler handle the exhaust. I have done all the work myself except for the paint and I'm real proud of the car she looks great. She sports 911 M calipers on all four corners with 20mm vented discs.Suspension has full Elephant Racing makeover with polybronze bushings. She has 19mm adjustable front sway bar and Koni shocks in the rear sporting 140 lb. springs. I'm already on my second cup of coffee biggrin.gif as I wait for TC, Brian Cheney and my friend Gene to show up at 9:00 to start the install. It's been a long journey and it's not over yet but today is a big step forward! I'll post some pics once the engine bay is full ! beerchug.gif
carr914
See you in a couple hours

T.C.
MDG
The car sounds like a winner - good luck on the install! Looking forward to pics.
URY914
Keep us posted thru out the day.
degreeoff
I shall live vicariously through you! I don't know what I would have done without the boy's (matt & herb) here to help! Now I have a special jig with a tranny jack and a scissor lift so its a one man show.

Good luck and let me know wether you need to remove one of the side tins to get it to fit?

Josh
Gint
Sounds great. I hope all goes well for you today. And we need pics!
URY914
I heard from TC about a hour ago. The engine and tranny are in. Hooking up the CV's now.
Lou W
popcorn[1].gif
pete-stevers
i remember that day all to well in my car!
it is great to see a bunch of guys helping out
EdwardBlume
Cool. Exciting day! aktion035.gif
Jeffs9146
a 1978 911 3.0 motor in N.C. that I purchased. Induction is 40mm Weber carbs

Did you change the cams? If you didn't, I am curious how the power range feels?

I am building a very similar motor and the cams seem to be a point of discussion when switching to carbs so I cant wait to hear what you think!
rfuerst911sc
The engine and transmission install was quite easy but a lift is worth its weight in gold biggrin.gif . No real surprises but we did end up removing the passenger side engine tin, I'm using fiberglass tin and we didn't want to break it. Other than that pretty straight forward took about an hour. Axles are hooked up and the headers are on so good progress was made before the stifling heat set in. I really want to thank TC , Brian and Gene for their help. We had some good jokes and zingers to keep the mood light, the flow of beer didn't hurt either beer.gif . In regards to the engine question I am running all stock internals, so CIS pistons and cams. Not the ideal setup for peak power but I'm running the same setup in my 911SC and she runs quite well. So today was a big step forward but I still have a long ways to go. I'm sitting here enjoying some cold adult beverages thinking of the day I unleash this beast biggrin.gif . Enjoy the pics and don't forget the 24 hours of LeMans is on ! driving.gif
carr914
Glad I could help beerchug.gif and it looks like you got some good work done after I left.

T.C.
degreeoff
God thats purty!
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 13 2009, 04:27 PM) *

Glad I could help beerchug.gif and it looks like you got some good work done after I left.

T.C.

TC yeah we finished the axles and then installed the headers. Then I said it's getting too hot so let's clean up and put the car away. Well it was just Gene and I and we had no problem rolling it down to the bottom of the driveway but man going up was a bitch ! And to make things worse 3/4 of the way up the driveway I got my right foot stuck under the rear tire with my open toe sandals and ran my foot over headbang.gif That stopped our momentum and I thought we were going to lose it. biggrin.gif But she's back in the garage and I'll do more tomorrow. beerchug.gif
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Jun 13 2009, 04:34 PM) *

God thats purty!

Thanks biggrin.gif I have some billet K&N air filter housings that will look great in that engine bay. I have really tried to sweat the small stuff and I think the car will not only show well but will be competitive at AX + DE. Plus just be a nice driver. Your car also is a very nice piece. beer.gif
iamchappy
Way to go, NICE!......
jt914-6
Congrats.....I know how you feel. Got my engine/tranny in my project last Feb. Drove it in it's first DE in May.....BTW....who is who in the pic??????
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jun 13 2009, 05:01 PM) *

Congrats.....I know how you feel. Got my engine/tranny in my project last Feb. Drove it in it's first DE in May.....BTW....who is who in the pic??????

From left to right- Gene Kapizka a former coworker and friend. Brian Cheney new friend and fellow teener. And on the right apparently receiving an enema from my garden hose biggrin.gif is TC Davis. I'm the car owner and taking the pic. Thanks for asking.
jt914-6
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jun 13 2009, 12:49 PM) *

I am building a very similar motor and the cams seem to be a point of discussion when switching to carbs so I cant wait to hear what you think!

On my 3.0 I'm using Cosworth pistons-10.5/1 compression, Web cam "S" grind #149, 40mm Webers, recurved OEM dist., MSD 6AL, Blaster coil, Raceware rod bolts, Dilivar studs, built on a 930/68 (3.3 turbo-factory replacement-it has no serial number) case. It runs and feels really good.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jun 13 2009, 05:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jun 13 2009, 12:49 PM) *

On my 3.0 I'm using Cosworth pistons-10.5/1 compression, Web cam "S" grind #149, 40mm Webers, recurved OEM dist., MSD 6AL, Blaster coil, Raceware rod bolts, Dilivar studs, built on a 930/68 (3.3 turbo-factory replacement-it has no serial number) case. It runs and feels really good.

So you are running single spark plugs with 10.5 compression? What type of fuel do you use? Sounds like a great motor. If and when I ever have to rebuild her I will go with around 9.5 compression and whatever cam is recommended for good across the board power. What transmission are you using?
jt914-6
Yes, single plug per cyl. Use premimum pump gas. 901 tranny with Patrick MS 3.0 to 901 clutch set up. Puck disk and standard 901 parts. I used to use the 225mm '70-71 911 set up but went back to the stock 914 kit. Also have a Quafe in tranny.
PanelBilly
Wish I was there to help. Hope your planning an open house for the first drive.
bcheney
Rick,

Pitching in yesterday was great! I really enjoyed the 914 fellowship. Here are some pics of the car as it sat before the install along with others taken during the fun.

Brian
bcheney
More pics
bcheney
More pics

bcheney
More pics

bcheney
More pics

bcheney
More pics

bcheney
More pics

rfuerst911sc
Brian the pictures came out great. Today I ran some rubber fuel line and installed the K&N billet air cleaner housings they look sweet biggrin.gif . I hope you guys are as sore as I am? sad.gif
pete-stevers
can't wait to see it at at a teener tue!
veltror
Is this l13K sunflower yellow ? If not what colour is this yellow?
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(veltror @ Jun 14 2009, 12:53 PM) *

Is this l13K sunflower yellow ? If not what colour is this yellow?

Nope she's L11D Berber yellow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.