Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Look what I saw today!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
This was pretty cool. We are gonna be building a Ferrari sim out of a Dino mold this one guy has. Well, look what else he was selling!

IPB Image
IPB Image

From Get Smart right? I mean, I'm too young to remember, but thats what I think!
So.Cal.914

Max's Sunbeam Tiger
The car Max drove in the first four years of the series was a red 1965 Sunbeam Tiger. Without a doubt, it is the car most associated with Max and can be considered "his car." It appeared in the open of the show's first two seasons, except for the pilot. It's also the car that was used for the AMT model that was sold in the Sixties. More details on the Tiger are given below. There's a lot of mystery surrounding the fate of this car and I'm going to try and clear it up. Don Adams did drive a Sunbeam Tiger as his personal car for many years. However, that car was NOT the car used in the series. Don drove a 1966 Sunbeam that was given to him by the network because of the success of the show. That car is now owned by a private collector. The Sunbeam used in the series was a 1965 Sunbeam and its whereabouts are unknown, though I've heard many, many rumors about where it has ended up.

Max's Opel
In season five, Max drives a gold, 1969 Opel GT. He also drove the Opel in the episodes, so it can really be called his second car. Interestingly enough, Max's Opel also appeared in the movie "Stripes." This car was used extensively by Max in the 5th season and can be called Max's second car.

The Karman Ghia
In the opening credits of the third and fourth seasons, Max drives a blue VW Karman Ghia. However, in those season's episodes, he continued to drive the Sunbeam. The open was probably changed to reflect some type of sponsorship deal. In no episode does he actually drive the Karman Ghia.

The Ferrari
In the pilot episode, Max drives a Ferrari 250 GT Cabriolet. The reason for that is that they probably used a stock studio sports car for the pilot. When the show was picked up, they were able to arrange a promotional deal with Sunbeam. Alert fan and car expert Scott M. identified this car for me.
lotus_65
great lines, and a lot of $ and work!

I'd follow your resto thread though. Do it.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Jun 13 2009, 11:54 PM) *

great lines, and a lot of $ and work!

I'd follow your resto thread though. Do it.

Yeah, for sure. My restoration is something of a crash course, as for that, I wouldn't even know where to begin. Also, the guy had already sold it for 1,000 by the time we got there.
Spoke
My brother used to own an opel like that. It was a really cool car. Reminded me of a Corvette without the power or prestige.
zymurgist
Neat! It looks like a baby Corvette. I see tons of Opel GTs every year at the Carlisle Import/Kit/Replicar show.

I've seen enough of them to know that they didn't come with Nissan engines... what's the story there?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 14 2009, 08:01 AM) *

Neat! It looks like a baby Corvette. I see tons of Opel GTs every year at the Carlisle Import/Kit/Replicar show.

I've seen enough of them to know that they didn't come with Nissan engines... what's the story there?

Much like 914s, people have the space to put all sorts of engines in the Opel GT's. And, no one really cares as they are also "unloved" cars.

They were called the "Baby Vettes" when they were in production. Cool cars.

Zach
degreeoff
Good friend of mine had one...yellow and very cool looking! However it was rusted beyond belief (unibody) and he was always having issues with the torue tube
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Jun 14 2009, 07:47 AM) *

Good friend of mine had one...yellow and very cool looking! However it was rusted beyond belief (unibody) and he was always having issues with the torue tube

I was 12 and it looked cool. Now I'm...Older, and it's still cool.

Click to view attachment

The
sporty two-passenger GT features aerodynamic styling with a long,
sloping hood and shortened rear deck.

With a wheelbase of 95.7 inches and overall height of 48.2
inches, the GT is powered by the 1.1 liter SR. 67 HP, with the
1.9 S, 102 HP available as an option. Opel's automatic transmission,
console-mounted shift lever, also is available with the 1.9 S engine.

Standard transmission is the four-speed, fully synchronized
manual shift with a short throw gearshift.

The manually-retractable headlamps fit flush with the body
when not in use, flanking a matched set of functional hood scoops.

Among its new features for 1970, the GT offers a new black
simulated leather steering wheel, a convenient storage tray on the
console, and a new anti-lift windshield wiper.
sixerdon
I bought a demo '70 back in '71 for $3K. Sky blue with cream interior. The 70's had higher CR and 102 hp. It ran on premium and would get me 35 mpg. I had that car for 7 years and 150k miles before I sold it. It was a good reliable car for my needs. The bodies were built in France and were great quality. When 240Z's and 914's were rusting away after a few years, mine stayed rust free for many more. A factory fire in '73 ended the production line. IIRC, the 4 year run produced about 120k GT's. Soon after I sold it, I bought a low mileage '74 2.0. It lasted for two years and many problems. Here I am with 914's again. Go figure.
Don
IronHillRestorations
I had an Opel GT for two and a half years. After it got totalled (not my fault) I got my first 914.
john grier
I loved the opel gts
We had several, But parts got to hard to find.
Last year we had one hauled off to the dump to make more room for the 914's
It had a good body and a running engine but no one wanted it. headbang.gif
Todd Enlund
Opel GT is on my list of possible projects. Toyota 4A-GE or 2ZZ-GE would be a kick in the ass.

And, not baby Corvette... baby Daytona.
Wes V
I'm old enough to remember when they were new.

Nice torquey motor.

The lines are OK, but for some reason the proportions were not quite right. It's as if they decided on a style and then had to force it to fit the chassis.

Wes
Zundfolge
The Nissan 240 motor is a nice touch ... should be pretty fast.

My wife has a 1990 Nissan 240SX (she bought it brand new). It'll outrun a non turbo 944 in the straights.
Smitty911
WOW, Flash back time.

I had a '74 2.0 back in '84. Stationed at Tustin Marine Base. Ran good fun to drive and I loved the Flip Over Headlights.

Well one night on watch, one of the Crash Crew came over and was looking at my GT. It was red and white custom striped by the PO. He said with the lines of that car it would be a cool convertable.

One thing led to another and next thing you know the top was cut off. It did look pretty cool, but in my younger and dumber days, what did I know.

6 months later the doors didn't open, she would twist on uneven bumps, etc.. SO that's how a Unibody works. LOL

Well I lent her to a buddy that needed a car. Never saw it again, he said it got towed and didn't have the money to get it, and I didn't care.
GS Guy
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jun 14 2009, 12:58 AM) *

This was pretty cool. We are gonna be building a Ferrari sim out of a Dino mold this one guy has. Well, look what else he was selling!

So what's the story on the Dino shell? This something new.... or one of the 70's versions still hanging around?

Jeff
pcar916
Wow, I had one of these for about 15 years. Much modified and street-raced it against my best buddy, who had a 914 (circa 1975). Very fun car although it went through water pumps every 3-6 months.

In it's final form I had bored it out to the max, made manifolds and attached two SU HS-6 carbs, and bolted in a BIG cam. Cool car.

Traded it for a Z80 powered Kaypro computer I needed to go back to school. Turned out to be a... prudent trade in time.

~Ron
john grier
This is so strange,

Just tonight when I got home a guy drove up and asked me if we still into opel gts
As he had remembered seeing them here a long time ago.
Rather dumb question as there were three 914's in my driveway.

Well he said he knew where I could get one real cheap.
I declined and said no.

Then he asked if any of the 914's were for sale.
I said not these but I told him that I did have one for sale and where to see it.

I dought if he will go.

I fondly remember my opel gts but I am never going back

John
RiqueMar
QUOTE(GS Guy @ Jun 15 2009, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Jun 14 2009, 12:58 AM) *

So what's the story on the Dino shell? This something new.... or one of the 70's versions still hanging around?

Jeff

We don't know as of yet. I'll probably post here in a few days with pics and all.
smg914
My first car when I turned 16 back in 1970 was a green with tan interior Opel GT. This is the only photo I have of the car which was taken with a Kodak Instamatic. My second car which I got in 1973 was a 914 and this photo of the car was taken with a Polaroid.
SirAndy
I always liked the Opel GT. I grew up in the '70s ...

biggrin.gif Andy
RiqueMar
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 15 2009, 11:01 PM) *

I always liked the Opel GT. I grew up in the '70s ...

biggrin.gif Andy

I had never actually seen one until the other day. Show's the generation gap(s) huh?
john grier
In the early 70's
The small sports car to have was
Datsun 240z
Opel Gt
914 Porsche

Prices varied but we see who the surviors are.

They were all great cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.