Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine won't idle after a good run
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
Went for a little run this morning and temps got up to point the needle was straight up and down on the oil temp gauge, first time ever that high of a reading and it is a warm day, engine sounding great and running smooth, get to the stop sign at the end of the down ramp and engine stalls! Restarting with no problem off I go and get to the next stop sign about 500 meters and engine dies again, rstarts and runs fine but will not idle! What has happened??!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
tradisrad
is your aux air valve controlling your idle air 'cause it's always open and now that the engine is hot it is closed? just a thought. try the idle screw
cwpeden
I think it might be Canadian air. I'm having the same prob
Ian Stott
I'm sure it isn't too serious as it ran soooooooo good, smooth power and no hiccups at all, it was early Sunday morning with no traffic; so yes it was a high speed run but on a divided highway with no traffic, I passed no one. Anyway enough justification of the speeding, approximately 9 minutes of 100 MPH plus, then slowing normally to the stop sign at the end of the off ramp, temp gauge reading right in the middle where it has never been before (and I have read here previously that gauge and it's info is basically useless) and engine stalls, starts up again with no problem but stalls again at next stop sign which is approx. 500 meters. Engine still runs smooth with good power like before but will not idle, it stalls! Any thoughts on what has happened much appreciated and needed!

Ian Stott
Ian Stott
So it starts up for me this morning and is running a bit rough but stays running, get to the on ramp of the Trans Canada and wow does it ever accelerate, runs very nice with good smooth power. So I'm thinking ok it was just something that happens when it is quite hot, drive about 5 KM at about 70 MPH and no burps or hiccups, just smooth with nice power, I must have burned all the carbon out of it I'm thinking, but then it dies at the stop sign, it restarts but not easily. Any engine guru's out there with thoughts or suggestions??

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
tradisrad
do you have FI or carbs? did you try the idle screw (if you've got FI)?
jamie74
fuel filter?
Jeffs9146
do you have FI or carbs?

Yes, if it is FI check the CHT Sensor!
Ian Stott
Yes it is stock FI, 1973 2.0. I will check the CHT sensor, give me a hint on how to check it!

Ian Stott
underthetire
it's just a variable resistor. Check with an ohm meter to ground. Make sure you check it HOT and cold. Mine was fine until it got hot then went open. Took me a while to find.
tod914
Once it's warm, try capping off the Aux. air reg and see if it idles better. Sometimes they don't close all the way.
Ian Stott
I am in the process of parts identification, when I get that down pat I will start playing with adjustments and cleaning! Big week here, middle daughter graduating from High School, prom, picture taking, relatives arriving, extra groceries to get etc. it's all good not complaining! Will get back to my 914 problem this weekend I hope. Thanks for all the advice.

Ian Stott
banger
When I bought my car, I had a similar problem. It turned out that one of the plastic hoses from the charcoal canister in the front, was connected to the plenum instead of the air cleaner. When you would decelerate on the off ramp, it would pull a vacuum on the tank, and the engine would not get fuel.
Katmanken
Hmmm..

Fuel pump still making noise??? Pulling a vacuum in the tank might make the pump work harder and noiser for less output...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.