Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine missing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
velum
Hi!

My engine is missing sometimes when I am on the road. It stops very briefly (s plit second), and then it keeps going. Once, this happend while the car was stopped, and the engine just cut. I had to restart the engine, which it did without any problem. I read about other people with similar problems, however they also talk about back-firing. I haven't had any back-fire yet. And th eproblem does not happen all the time. Could it be the coil, the condenser, the points? What should I start with? And how can I determine which part is the faulty one?

Cheers!

JF
BMXerror
First things first, just cover the tune up basics. Set the dwell and the timing (in that order), adjust the valves, set the fuel pressure. If your plugs, wires, and distribuor cap are old, you may just want to change those on general principle. Other than that, check for loose wiring to and from the coil. Definitely sounds like an ignition problem to me.
Mark D.
r_towle
Is it fuel injection or carbs?
McMark
My engine is missing

Damn thieves!! mad.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.
velum
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 14 2009, 07:34 PM) *

Is it fuel injection or carbs?

I forgot to mention that. It is a 1973 2.0 FI
curt914
Damn thieves!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

-------------------------
Thats exactly what I thought the moment I read the subject line

I thought this was going to be a thread about how someone went out one morning and his engine had been hijacked. biggrin.gif

Curt
(oh yeah.... been lurking here for a year or two. Only posted a very few times, anyway, hello everyone) wavey.gif
velum
I also had a good laugh at McMark's remark when I realized how it could be interpreted. Sorry, English is not my mother tong. How do you say it then when the engine is cutting for split seconds and then keeps running?

Cheers!

JF
curt914
No, no you're fine, just the way you typed it.

It just hit me funny at that moment.
Can you imagine going out to the car in the morning, car wont turn over,
you pop the engine hatch and all you see is a large expanse of asphalt and weeds...."engine missing" confused24.gif

Curt

Katmanken
The missing engine problem happened to a friends VW beetle.....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.