Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Electrically Conductive Adhesive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KELTY360
My brother is trying to modify a yellowtop to use as an auxillary battery for his Syncro Westy. He cut the top posts off in order to lay it on it's side in the compartment. He has discovered that the top posts are two-piece and by cutting them he has slightly reduced the ability for current to flow to the side posts.

Does anyone know of a conductive paste that could be used to bridge the tiny gap between the two pieces of the terminal posts?
KELTY360
Here's a pic of the sawed off terminal. We want to bridge the gap with a conductive material.
Click to view attachment
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 14 2009, 03:18 PM) *

Here's a pic of the sawed off terminal. We want to bridge the gap with a conductive material.
Click to view attachment

I don't think you will fill it with any paste that will work correctly. How tall is the post now? Maybe the post outer ring can be split using a dremel cutoff disk so the battery connector and compress the 2 together.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jun 14 2009, 01:24 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 14 2009, 03:18 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I don't think you will fill it with any paste that will work correctly. How tall is the post now? Maybe the post outer ring can be split using a dremel cutoff disk so the battery connector and compress the 2 together.

The post is now flush with the top of the battery. He's going to try wedging in some nails in the gap and test with the multimeter.
Cap'n Krusty
Heavy duty soldering gun .................... The Cap'n
cwpeden
I was gonna say torch, drill a couple holes and fill the whole top with solder
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jun 14 2009, 02:22 PM) *

Open flame near ANY type of battery scares me. A LOT. The Cap'n
geniusanthony
Those terminals are lead, use a large soldering gun and solder, do it quickly, you don't want to induce too much heat to the battery.
Spoke
Bringing such a large hunk of metal up to solder melting temp may be difficult and may overheat other parts of the battery. Especially if lead-free solder is used.

I think the best way to get to a low impedance is to do the nail thing as suggested or a series of small screws in between the 2 conductors.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 14 2009, 02:25 PM) *

QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jun 14 2009, 02:22 PM) *

Open flame near ANY type of battery scares me. A LOT. The Cap'n

Yeah, that was my thought too.

Turns out that the + post could be secured by wedging heavy copper wire into the gap. The construction of the - post was different and couldn't be firmly secured. Oh well, glad it wasn't my $180 battery.

Thanks for your ideas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.