Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 Fuel Injectors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I bought 4 "good used 2.0 injectors" from a member on this site last winter. Yesterday I went to test them before installing them and found 1 out of 4 worked. The others are seized tight.
I think I will buy new ones and saw these on EBay.
912 2.0
and these
1.8 or 2.0 ???
or these
AA Pythons
Have any of you bought these and tried them?
Where would you recommend??
r_towle
Injectors do that sometimes.
Before you get mad...or spendalot of money..
Buy a quart of TEKTRON FI cleaner...nothing else.
Dunk all four injectors for a few days.

How are you testing them? What voltage?

RIch
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 14 2009, 07:31 PM) *

RIch

Is there a simple bench-test for injectors ? I have 6 1.8 FI I bought at a swap meet along with a working Fuel Pump.
r_towle
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 14 2009, 10:36 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 14 2009, 07:31 PM) *

RIch

Is there a simple bench-test for injectors ? I have 6 1.8 FI I bought at a swap meet along with a working Fuel Pump.

I am sure someone will jump in the proper voltage, but a 9volt transistor battery works...that lets you hear the click.
Then you need fuel to check and see if they spray and/or leak.

Rich
jim_hoyland
I am sure someone will jump in the proper voltage, but a 9volt transistor battery works...that lets you hear the click.

Rich

Let me see if I got this right: Hook up the FI directly to the FP, then used a 9volt battery to trigger the FI. Will the FI spray s long as the battery is attached ?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jun 14 2009, 06:14 PM) *

I bought 4 "good used 2.0 injectors" from a member on this site last winter. Yesterday I went to test them before installing them and found 1 out of 4 worked. The others are seized tight.
I think I will buy new ones and saw these on EBay.
912 2.0
and these
1.8 or 2.0 ???
or these
AA Pythons
Have any of you bought these and tried them?
Where would you recommend??

Nope.

Nope.

Maybe, but rebuilts are, IME, a bad investment, overall. They can't fix leakers, they can't fix eroded bores, and they can't fix electrical problems. The Cap'n
r_towle
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 14 2009, 11:36 PM) *

Rich

Let me see if I got this right: Hook up the FI directly to the FP, then used a 9volt battery to trigger the FI. Will the FI spray s long as the battery is attached ?

its an electrical coil...or elec magnet.
Apply voltage..it opens or closes...depending.

So, you can open them and blast cleaning fluid through them to fix the spray pattern...again..I am not certain about the voltage...I do know its less than 12VDC and fromwhat I recall 12vdc will harm the injector.

Start with an AA battery...1.5 volts...work your way up one battery at a time.

Rich
dbgriffith75
I don't know what the cost is, but witchhunter.com seems to be a generally well-respected injector surgeon around here. A lot of guys have sent their injectors in and have been very pleased with the end result. Maybe send in your junk injectors instead of buying new ones?
kkid
I bought a set of green top injectors at the swap meet the other day and asked Rich @ Cruizin for cleaning them as my back up. He replied;

Injectors don't like to set for long periods of time whether they have been cleaned or not. I've tested brand new injectors that have set for extended periods and many times they will be stuck closed.

I flush the injectors with a paraffin based oil after I service the injectors and that helps protect them but even that doesn't last for long periods of time. The best suggestion I have would be to wait to have the injectors serviced when you are ready to use them. If you decide to have them serviced and store them for use later, I would suggest putting a desiccant bag in with the injectors and seal them in a "zip-lock" bag. That still won't protect them forever but it might allow them to set longer.

What a great advice!
tracks914
I've done this in the past.
Took an old FI harness plug and hooked aligator clips to the ends of the wires. Plug in the injector, hook one end to the battery post and tap the other end on the other post. On a good injector you hear and feel and nice click sound. On a bad injector you get nothing.
After soaking the injector in Injector Cleaner overnight try again. If that doesn't work, I've taken 2 - 12volt batteries in series and up'd the voltage to 24volts. (I've taken apart an injector and realised the coils inside them are quite beefy and will take 24 volts for short bursts at a time.) Remember just tap the connection, do not leave it connected or the coil will overheat fast. If that doesn't work I've tried spraying brake cleaner in the injector, tapping the sides with a plastic hammer then rinsing with FI Cleaner again. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.
BTW hooking the injectors up to the test tubes and just cycling the ignition switch to pressurise the fuel rails should tell you if the injector leaks. Then crank the engine over 180 degrees and do it again just to make sure the injector wasn't signaled to fire at that position.
Either way, when I do get them to work I have to wonder how well they are metering the fuel and once they are in a running car, will they eventually clean themselves up or do I risk running too lean and damaging the engine. That is the real question. I've also hooked the the injectors to test tubes (once in the car) and cranked the engine for 10 seconds to compare the fuel in each but this is tricky if you get one more squirt in one tube than the next. Not a perfect science!

This is why I was wondering about the aftermarket injector for my 2.0 "cruising car". I don't plan to race it and with our new "Street Racing-Stunt Driving" Laws in Ontario, I don't plan an driving it very fast either.
All I'm looking for is a clean 2.0 injector set and don't really feel like ponying up the cash for a new set of Bosche injectors. I was hoping someone here has tried the Pythons or something similar???
Porsche Rescue
This is pretty crude but it has worked for me. On the bench. Two wires with alligator clips on each end. Use 9V battery and connect one wire from battery to one injector blade. Connect other wire to other injector blade. Fill the hose with some aerosol cleaning fluid. I used PB Blaster, but WD40 or similar should work. Then touch the second wire to the other battery terminal. Each contact will open the injector and fluid will run out. Repeat until hose is empty.
Larouex
You might find this thread useful...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=neihoff

I went ahead a few weeks back and did the conversion to the Neihoff's and they seem to be working great, I have other issues with the engine, but the injectors are working nicely.

I spent time online tracking them down and you can get them here...
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/productdetail....artNumber=57512

I also have a complete set of serviced 2.0 injectors from the WitchHunter and he does great work. I just decided to go to new ones.
tat2dphreak
FWIW, when you bought the injectors last winter, they probably could have been just fine, but seized since then... right?
underthetire
Autozone sells the "newer " style plugs for the injectors. I worry about a spark if an alligator clip comes off with the injector soaking in FI cleaner. BTW, seafoam works really well.
kconway
I know of a NOS set of 4 that should be coming up on ebay soon from the same seller I got some from a few weeks back. Here's the link to the auction I won, contact the seller and tell her you want to purchase them outright and make an offer (just don't tell me if you get them cheaper then what i paid in this auction biggrin.gif ). She's listing them for a neighbor.

Kev

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RTQ:MOTORS:1123
tracks914
I looked at the WitchHunter web site. Seems like a good deal if your injectors are just dirty. Has anyone tried them?
http://witchhunter.com/injectorserv1.php4
I might just pack up 4 injectors and send them to them. $100 to rebuild all four sounds like a 914 kind of thing to do.
r_towle
The way the injectors are designed, If and when there is no power, they snap closed. this is so the Fuel rail remains charged up...so when you want to start, it will.

FI cleaner does the trick frommy experience....even old used ones open up again...but I swear by TEKTRON only...all the other stuff does not seem to free up the injectors.

So, when you apply elec, it pulls the pin up...thus fuel flows.
I used a little parts cleaner pump and open the injector then run the FI clean through them for a while...like 10 minutes per injector.
The whole setup is recycled...so the pump is in the bottom of the tank and the injector is spraying back into the tank (I use the wifes old dishpan)

RIch
Cevan
QUOTE(kkid @ Jun 15 2009, 03:41 AM) *

I bought a set of green top injectors at the swap meet the other day and asked Rich @ Cruizin for cleaning them as my back up. He replied;

Injectors don't like to set for long periods of time whether they have been cleaned or not. I've tested brand new injectors that have set for extended periods and many times they will be stuck closed.

I flush the injectors with a paraffin based oil after I service the injectors and that helps protect them but even that doesn't last for long periods of time. The best suggestion I have would be to wait to have the injectors serviced when you are ready to use them. If you decide to have them serviced and store them for use later, I would suggest putting a desiccant bag in with the injectors and seal them in a "zip-lock" bag. That still won't protect them forever but it might allow them to set longer.

What a great advice!

I had the same thing happen. I had 4 2.0 injectors cleaned by Rich at Cruzin Performance and then they sat in the sealed bags for 4-5 months. When I went to use them, one was stuck. He suggested using a 9 volt battery and if that didn't work, to send it back to him. 9 volt battery didn't work so off it went to him (same day turn around) and it's worked perfect ever since.

I would spend the $75 to have them tested and cleaned.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jun 15 2009, 05:36 PM) *

I looked at the WitchHunter web site. Seems like a good deal if your injectors are just dirty. Has anyone tried them?
http://witchhunter.com/injectorserv1.php4
I might just pack up 4 injectors and send them to them. $100 to rebuild all four sounds like a 914 kind of thing to do.

WitchHunter does good work & provides value, but be forewarned - they reject injectors and unusable at a pretty high rate. I sent 12, got back 7 refurbished & 4 boat anchors. If you send 4, it's unlikely you'll get 4 refurbished back. Apparently, things this old easily turn into POS's.

Don't get me wrong - they do an excellent job with those that are usable.

I'd find a couple of spares to send along. Hell, if they all turn out good you can always peddle the extras.
tracks914
I just checked, WitchHunter doesn't ship to Canada. :-(
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.