Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning Question: How to remove silicone?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
I tried lacquer thinner and sanding around the windshield frame only to find that after I painted it the stuff was still there. I'd like to reinstall the trim around the windshield with a bit less of this goop than it has now. The trim isn't in the greatest condition, but it's all I have for now and I'd like to make the most of it. Any thoughts?
Cap'n Krusty
You have a real problem. The remaining silicone is gonna promote rust under the new paint, as it attracts water. The OE trim is attached with clips, not adhesive, and the windshield has to come out to replace the clips, or so I've been told by the glass guy I've used for 30 years. There's a special solvent made to remove silicone, I think. The Cap'n
So.Cal.914
If really careful for obvious reasons, silicone does not like gasoline.
djm914-6
New clips have been installed. There is paint between the silcone and the frame so I'm not too worried about rust. I'm guessing that the PO used the silicone and maybe even a bit of the butyl stuff to hold the trim in place. It was a real PITA to remove.

What's wrong with gasoline and silicone? I'm just asking because I used a "special cleaner" to help remove the butyl from the car before I replaced the windshield. I have almost 10 gallons of this 3 year old high-test cleaner. Will the "cleaner" do any harm to the trim?
Kargeek
Denatured alcohol will clean silicone residue.
sww914
I use wax, grease, and silicone remover from the autobody supply, after I've peeled the bulk of it out with my fingernails, a window bone, a paint stick and some cursing. It's available at any auto parts store that sells paint as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.