Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 10" wide wheels on the rear of a stock fendered 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
513mugsy914
So here is the big question...how do you go about fitting a 10" wide rear wheel on a stock fendered 914? Spacers and lip rolling? I have been told many times that this can not be done. On ebay for the next 15 hours there is a stock fendered 914 with a v8 conversion from FL that has it done. He has told me that his wrench man has added stiffer springs and modified the koni struts out back for everything to work. So what does anyone have to say about this? Is it do-able or am I looking for trouble down the road?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(513mugsy914 @ Jun 15 2009, 07:30 AM) *

So here is the big question...how do you go about fitting a 10" wide rear wheel on a stock fendered 914? Spacers and lip rolling? I have been told many times that this can not be done. On ebay for the next 15 hours there is a stock fendered 914 with a v8 conversion from FL that has it done. He has told me that his wrench man has added stiffer springs and modified the koni struts out back for everything to work. So what does anyone have to say about this? Is it do-able or am I looking for trouble down the road?

I don't want to be rash, but I'm gonna stick my neck out on this one. I don't believe it's possible to fit and use a 10" wide wheel inside the rear fenders of a stock bodied 914 without interference. It's kinda like fitting a gallon of beer into a 12 oz. bottle. I take that all back, maybe a 10" wide 8" wheel will fit ..............

The Cap'n
Spoke
I recently flared my 914 by pounding out the rear fenders to fit 8 inch rims. One of the measurements that I was making to be sure left and right fenders were the same was from the inner fender well to the fender. This measurement was like 11 inches with a lot of pounding.

I don't think the stock fender will give even 8 or 9 inches clearance.

The only way to put 10in rims under a stock fender is to make sure the tires never go inside the fender cavity with by sitting the car higher and real stiff spring.
6freak
QUOTE(513mugsy914 @ Jun 15 2009, 07:30 AM) *

Try it let use know what you find ..Then post pix and a vin # and you will me Golden.................AND welcome.png
carr914
Can't be done. I commented on that car last week, the wheels look wide, but. Of course he had to add stiffer springs - it has a V-8.

And you know he wants $25K right?. Buy a Factory 914-6 for that money and have something that is worth something.

Here is a picture of my Flared car with a 15x9. I couldn't get a 10" Gotti under a Flared car

T.C.

Click to view attachment
6freak
25K Holy chit that thing must be completey perfect in every way..Turn key ready to roll to the show and bring home 1st place
carr914
I see that he removed the $25K BuyItNow, but he said he has had offers above $18K

He also claims the Fuchs in Front are 9". they look like 7 or 8"s. Porsche did not make a Fuchs in a 10"

Here are some pics. The rears do look wide, but look at his underside pic, how do they fit?

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
computers4kids
I've been following the auction. 4 bids, 13hours left and sitting at 16k right now. NO reserve. Buy it now was 25K, but hey, can't blame the guy for hoping some fool would pull the switch for that price.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
513mugsy914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 15 2009, 11:32 AM) *

I see that he removed the $25K BuyItNow, but he said he has had offers above $18K

He also claims the Fuchs in Front are 9". they look like 7 or 8"s. Porsche did not make a Fuchs in a 10"

Here are some pics. The rears do look wide, but look at his underside pic, how do they fit?

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The only thing that I can figure is that car is so stiffly sprung that it can not have any suspension. From the pics of the car, it looks like the tire fits right in there. I just don't want to get everything done and say that I can run those wide wheels, nd then on the track burn the paint right off the outside of the fender. I don't know I think a little more detective work might be in order here.
carr914
It obviously has an undersized tire, but still I don't see how it can be done. It's not like the car is jacked-up like a 60's HotRod or tubbed out. Like I said I've got a 9" on the rear of my 914-6 Flared car and that's all it can take. I have 2 inches more room than he has.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

mskala
From carr914, it sure looks like the guy has 9" wheels in the rear. The tire is
skinny for that wheel, too.

On my car for autocrossing I fit a tire that is a (edit 8.6") section width in
there, with only pulling that you wouldn't be able to see. Of course, his 9" wheel
is a ridiculously wrong offset, hence admitting to 'mods'. So apparently you can
do it if all of the below are true:
a. use narrow tire thus making a 9" wheel non-useful
b. mod the trailing arm
c. pull fender a bit
d. run extremely stiff springs

It would have been better and probably cheaper to widen a smaller fuchs to get
the right offset, or just go with the 3-piece fuchs mods various people make.
513mugsy914
Thanks for the info. I know lots about 911's but I am fresh when it comes to 914's.
byndbad914
absolutely no way the rears are 10".

Look at my fronts - that is a 10" wide tire. They look like steamrollers compared to the rear of that car.

Click to view attachment
jtf914
QUOTE(513mugsy914 @ Jun 15 2009, 01:33 PM) *

Thanks for the info. I know lots about 911's but I am fresh when it comes to 914's.

I can't tell from the underside pic, but wasn't there a guy on the old board (I think his name was Timo) who narrowed his trailing arms to fit wider wheels and tires under stock fenders???
jtf914
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Jun 15 2009, 02:47 PM) *

absolutely no way the rears are 10".

Look at my fronts - that is a 10" wide tire. They look like steamrollers compared to the rear of that car.

I agree they don't look like 10" rims...
SirAndy
QUOTE(513mugsy914 @ Jun 15 2009, 06:30 AM) *

how do you go about fitting a 10" wide rear wheel on a stock fendered 914?

You don't ...

If you get 10" to fit on a "stock" car, it won't be "stock" anymore. rolleyes.gif

Factory 7"/9" GT flares allow you to run 9" wide wheels (hence the name 9" flares).
So you can imagine how much you'd have to stretch a stock fender to fit a 10" wheel.

Good luck ...
shades.gif Andy
6freak
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 15 2009, 08:32 AM) *

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Rockers and valance look silver in the underside pix and i only see 4 studs confused24.gif ...but ya never know
carr914
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Jun 15 2009, 02:47 PM) *

QUOTE(513mugsy914 @ Jun 15 2009, 01:33 PM) *

I can't tell from the underside pic, but wasn't there a guy on the old board (I think his name was Timo) who narrowed his trailing arms to fit wider wheels and tires under stock fenders???

He may have modified his Trailing arms, but it's not tubbed out, so the inner fender well wall would still be a problem. And if you look at the underside picture and then think that his wheels have an offset with that Deep of a dish, it just doesn't make sense. He couldn't have pulled the fender out that much.

It's also possible that those wheels were put on for that set of pictures. I remember when I put my 10" Gottis on my old Flared car - it was only for pictures, I would have torn the flares & tires apart if I had ever drivin it.

I have thought from the beginning that there was something fishy about this car - don't forget about the VIN# miscue

T.C.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Jun 15 2009, 10:47 AM) *

And how exactly would modifying the trailing arm help with the available space between the car body and the fender?
confused24.gif

A modified trailing arms will only move the wheel relative to the fender.

It doesn't help with trying to squeeze a 10" wheel into a 8" opening ...
shades.gif Andy
tat2dphreak

can't blame a guy for trying tho, eh? laugh.gif
carr914
Pulled some pictures off his Photobucket site

The fronts look like 7" to me, definately not 9"s. He has 205/50/15 on them - I have 205/50/15 on my Honda Civic's 6" rims

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The rears there was no close-up of the tires - I tried blowing it up, and it got too distorted to read, but it looked like 225's. I think the rear wheels are 8"s

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RJMII
Maybe he is measuring over-all width and getting the measurement from the wrong place?
jhadler
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jun 15 2009, 03:25 PM) *

Maybe he is measuring over-all width and getting the measurement from the wrong place?

I'd bet a doughnut that you're right. The spec cross section for a 225 Hoosier on a 7" rim is 9". So I'd believe that he attempted to measure the overall cross section, and got kinda close to 10"...

Nice looking car though...

-Josh2
914forme
They could be 6 x 7 s or maybe he is using that ruler that he uses to impress the ladies.

235s on a 10 rim, nah, how to you keep the bead from bustin?
tat2dphreak
The fronts look like 7" to me, definately not 9"s. He has 205/50/15 on them - I have 205/50/15 on my Honda Civic's 6" rims

agree.gif

I don't think the tires would even seal on 9" rims.... if so they might look like...

./-----\
|........|
|........|
|........|
.\____/

ignoring the poor ascii... what I mean is that the tires would slope in, because the sidewalls would be stretched ... if so, then a big bump would make the seal on the tire fail, and deflate...
I know because the tires on my old car would do that, even if they were the right size because the alloy at the edge of the rim was so soft.
nolift914
They look like 7" and 8" to me
I use to run with 911SC flairs on the rear
jtf914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 15 2009, 03:56 PM) *

And how exactly would modifying the trailing arm help with the available space between the car body and the fender?
confused24.gif

shades.gif Andy

Really, narrowing the trailing arms doesn't create 2" of space dry.gif

By the looks of the offset on those wheels narrowing the trailing arms would help in fitting them under stock fenders, but I agree with everyone, there is no way 10" wheels can fit under stock looking fenders.
sww914
With a tape measure from the chassis of my car to the OUTSIDE of the factory flare it measures 9.5". You cannot fit a 10" wheel in to a 9.5" space and that's before a tire, any suspension motion, or any space for the wheel to turn.
bandjoey
...raised the car to the top of the shocks and then put in a set screw on the shaft so it won't come down??? look at the angle of the axles coming off the tranny. av-943.gif
carr914
QUOTE(jhadler @ Jun 15 2009, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(RJMII @ Jun 15 2009, 03:25 PM) *

I'd bet a doughnut that you're right. The spec cross section for a 225 Hoosier on a 7" rim is 9". So I'd believe that he attempted to measure the overall cross section, and got kinda close to 10"...

Nice looking car though...

-Josh2

Well, I think that mystery is solved

QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Jun 15 2009, 09:37 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 15 2009, 03:56 PM) *

confused24.gif

shades.gif Andy

By the looks of the offset on those wheels narrowing the trailing arms would help in fitting them under stock fenders, but I agree with everyone, there is no way 10" wheels can fit under stock looking fenders.

Narrowing the Trailing Arms would not increase the space between the inner & outer wheel walls, it would just give you a weaker Trailing Arm. I have seen quite a few wheel treatments on a 914 that without spacers created a rubbing on the inner wheel wall.

T.C.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Jun 15 2009, 05:37 PM) *

Please explain to me how narrowing the trailing arm makes the sheetmetal of the car move 2" apart ... confused24.gif

If you measure from your fender lip to the metal on the side of the rear trunk you get the total width available inside the fender.
On a stock car, that is no more than 8". Whatever you stick in there can't be wider than that.

In reality, even a 8" wide tire which *might* fit in there at rest would rub either on the inside or outside as soon as you start driving.
shades.gif Andy
porschecb
You guys are so smart! Thats why I love this place! biggrin.gif popcorn[1].gif smilie_pokal.gif aktion035.gif

I know how to check my oil @ air dry.gif
Heeltoe914
His rims look like 15 inch so a 15x8 with small rubber looks very deep I would say maybe its a 15x8 but I can 100% say its not a 9 thay dont have the 2nd lip like my true set of 16x9s.
carr914
So did anybody here have the winning Bid of $16K or did it go to another Checkbook Charlie?

T.C.
jtf914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 15 2009, 10:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Jun 15 2009, 05:37 PM) *

Please explain to me how narrowing the trailing arm makes the sheetmetal of the car move 2" apart ... confused24.gif

Do I have to explain sarcasm...
degreeoff
I am one of those with a rub on an 8" wheel with 245/50's R compound hoosiers, I need 1/4" spacers and about 3/16 off the inner fender to run those...no way no how, shorten this, stretch that bs.gif a 10" will fit a stock car 7" max.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Jun 16 2009, 04:58 AM) *

Do I have to explain sarcasm...

Sarcasm, more often than not, gets lost when used in writing on the interwebs ...
shades.gif Andy
J P Stein
Here's a pic of a 914 with a 10 inch wheel with a 5 inch backspace. The fronts are 8 inch and based on that his rears do look like 9s. Note the difference of wheel to the top of the fender opening at the rear. The 4 X 4 jack-up works for him, eh?
His springs look like standard diameter which means 200 in/lb maximum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.