Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Plugging" gas line
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rigglet
I'm getting ready to completely remove and replace the fuel system on my 71, everything except the fuel tank. Anyone had any luck plugging the gas line at the firewall? Obviously the best choice would be to either drain the tank, or run it as close to dry as possible and then drain it. Problem is I've got close to half a tank and the car is not running at the moment. I don't have any large gas cans and would hate to go spend a bunch of money on them for a one time use, however I may not have any choice.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks guys!
zymurgist
Do you have any friends who own large gas cans? wink.gif

Seriously, if your fuel system on a '71 is all original, I would recommend replacing all rubber lines coming from the tank. Normally you can pinch a fuel line to avoid draining the tank, but that only works if you're not planning on removing the rubber line. If you're really replacing everything but the tank, your best bet will be to find some place to put the gas.

You could borrow a couple of gas cans from friends, siphon gas into one can till it's full and then switch the siphon hose to the next can (then quickly dump the contents of the first can into another car). I do something similar all the time for homebrewing. beer3.gif
VaccaRabite
Siphon out the gas tank, put the gas into your daily driver for use.

No spill or waste. Win all the way around.

Zach
mharrison
+1! Moving it into the daily driver is the option I would take.
thompson-mfr
If you unhook the feed line under your engine and drop it down into the gas can the gravity will let it all drain out.

Then you don't have to mess with siphoning.

I just used this method.
zymurgist
QUOTE(thompson-mfr @ Jun 15 2009, 12:40 PM) *

If you unhook the feed line under your engine and drop it down into the gas can the gravity will let it all drain out.

I just used this method.

Oh yeah. I forgot that the car was on jackstands. biggrin.gif

I used the siphon method on Babydoll, since the car was sitting on its wheels. No space for a gas can.
rigglet
I don't know why I never thought of siphoning the gas into my daily driver! Sometimes I overthink things. Such a simple solution. Thanks all!!!
jmill
QUOTE(thompson-mfr @ Jun 15 2009, 11:40 AM) *

I just used this method.

agree.gif I just did it myself also.
EdwardBlume
Don't forget to do it outside away from the waterheater!
jt914-6
Yes, do it outside or with the garage door open away from a gas water heater..... blowup.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.