Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to quickly ID a tail vs. side-shift trans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brisco914prc
I'm a relatively new 914 owner and have a lot to learn. Been reading as much as I can find about tail-shift vs. side-shift transmissions. I would appreciate it if people could post photos of each type of trans, in the car, showing the main visual differences between the two so when I'm inspecting cars for sale I can easily identify which type the car has. I know that the side-shift unit began with the '73 model year, but sometimes sellers are confused and inadvertently give incorrect information about their trans.

I also read the very interesting Pelican Parts article at 914 Tail Shifter Improvements

Anyone on this board followed the advice in that article to try to improve the shift feel of their tail-shifter trans? Results?

Thanks,
tat2dphreak
don't have pics handy, but if you look at the end of the tranny, by the muffler, there's 1 of 2 connections to the linkage...

a tail shift linkage with go up near the top of the transmission at this point. it will also have a linkage that is connected to the firewall, as well as the front shift bar...

a side shift will be on the bottom/side of the transmission. connected with a right angle coupler.

the easiest way I can think to identify is the engine bar and mounts, tho...

a side shift engine mount has a hole in it for the linkage to pass through, it will be connected on the outside by solid, metal connections.

the tail shift mar looks like a piece of square tubing, basically, no hole in it, the linkage sits above the bar I think. and the outside motor mounts are rubber and round, like the tranny mounts.
Cap'n Krusty
The "tail shifter" has the shift rod terminating at a bracket at the tail end of the transmission, right there in the nose cover. The side shifter rod terminates at an aluminum console affixed to the side of the main transmission case, down low. It's substantially forward of the nose cover.

The Cap'n
Brisco914prc
Wayne, thanks, that's pretty clear. I do hope to see some photos from people. I would use the photos to assist sellers in determining what type of trans they have if I think they are confused.

And Wayne, outstanding avatar.

Barry

p.s. Thanks also to Krusty for his response, I appreciate it.

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jun 15 2009, 09:25 AM) *

don't have pics handy, but if you look at the end of the tranny, by the muffler, there's 1 of 2 connections to the linkage...

a tail shift linkage with go up near the top of the transmission at this point. it will also have a linkage that is connected to the firewall, as well as the front shift bar...

a side shift will be on the bottom/side of the transmission. connected with a right angle coupler.

the easiest way I can think to identify is the engine bar and mounts, tho...

a side shift engine mount has a hole in it for the linkage to pass through, it will be connected on the outside by solid, metal connections.

the tail shift mar looks like a piece of square tubing, basically, no hole in it, the linkage sits above the bar I think. and the outside motor mounts are rubber and round, like the tranny mounts.

Richard Casto
Barry,

The 914 Wiki article on the 914 transmission has photos of tail and sideshift transmissions...

http://www.roadglue.com/wiki/index.php?tit...14_transmission

You can click on the images and it load up a larger image for a closer look.

Richard
Brisco914prc
Richard, thanks for that link, I've read that article but was hoping for photos that show how the transmissions look from the point of view of someone looking up from beneath the car.

I'm dealing with a 914 seller who says he has a '73 car but then states it has a tail-shifter trans. Either it is actually a '72 car or the trans was replaced with an earlier type (unlikely but not impossible).

The car has a '72 and earlier jack type and the jack is mounted on the drivers side wall of the trunk, but it has front bumperettes (no rears) and appears to have silver "PORSCHE" script letters on the engine grille. The door sill plates are black. Instruments have the silver center button.

I've asked the seller to take a photo of the driver side door jam sticker but haven't seen it yet. He didn't include the VIN in his ad description of the car.

I have not personally inspected the car yet, and have only seen a limited number of photos.

Thanks,
Barry

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Jun 15 2009, 01:39 PM) *

Barry,

The 914 Wiki article on the 914 transmission has photos of tail and sideshift transmissions...

http://www.roadglue.com/wiki/index.php?tit...14_transmission

You can click on the images and it load up a larger image for a closer look.

Richard

Cupomeat
Also look on the firewall under the engine tin in the lower portion of the engine compartment, from under the car. (Center line of the car)

If the shifter shaft goes straight out of the firewall and has no pivot (but a coupler) it is a side shifter.

Also look for a large plastic cover in the middle (offset to the driver's side) of the tranny (around 6" x5"). If it exists, it is a side shifter...

this is starting to sound like a bad Jeff Foxworthy act...

"If you find first with less than 4 minutes of searching, you might have a side shifter..."
tat2dphreak
hmm... I'm curious... the tail shifters have an extra thing welded on the firewall that sicks out and has a ball on the end.. if he put a tailshifter in a 73+ car, I don't know if it would even staytogeter unless he welded a piece like that on too... if my car wasn't at the shop, I'd go take a picture of the piece I mean...
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 15 2009, 12:34 PM) *

The "tail shifter" has the shift rod terminating at a bracket at the tail end of the transmission, right there in the nose cover. The side shifter rod terminates at an aluminum console affixed to the side of the main transmission case, down low. It's substantially forward of the nose cover.

The Cap'n

Such a simple opportunity...yet so polite smoke.gif

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.