Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rice rockets beware
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ppickerell
So I'm researching the Mines road rally for the 914 Marck Breakfast and I run across a road bike site with some great pix and description of the run. I read into it further and find this:

Once onto Mines Road, it opens up a bit and it becomes a descent road. The only bad part of this was I ran into some Porsche club running single file. In there mind, I'm sure they thought they were going fast. I pull out over the broken yellow to pass and the lead bastard gets on the gas. +125mph riding two up drag racing some prick in a Porsche is not the smartest thing I have done but I did get around him. Just to prove the point that 2 wheels and built in Italy beats 4 wheels and built in Germany.

Sounds like a challenge!
TimT
lead bastard gets on the gas. +125mph riding two up drag racing some prick in a Porsche is not the smartest thing I have done but I did get around him

so there were at least two idiots involved in this "street race"

in racing, the slower vehicle yields the line..If you see a guy closingon you at a speed differential that is noticeable.. you give him a point and the line..

I had a point when I started typing...lost my train of thought laugh.gif
Joe Bob
The dick in the P-car was wrong....
aufaber
QUOTE(mikez @ Mar 4 2004, 04:50 PM)

agree.gif
TimT

Yea thats it LOL
PatW
QUOTE(ppickerell @ Mar 4 2004, 03:35 PM)
Just to prove the point that 2 wheels and built in Italy beats 4 wheels and built in Germany.[/color]

You more often than not. You will loose when you tangle with Italian big-bore V-twins. Best to let them buy. MDB2.gif If its the Biker Boyz crowd riding Japan Inc motorcycles. I make them work for it. <_<
What I'm thinking is that was either a really fast ass Porsche or a really shitty bike because the bike should'a been way past him by 125!

and their both stupid!
lapuwali
As someone who's spent a lot of time on bikes and in cars, I generally find anyone who's not willing to share the road to be very annoying. If someone is on your tail, give them room and let them by.

I've certainly been in situations where I've been in a pretty slow car (how's a 40hp 998cc Mini sound?), yet I'm being held up by some slowpoke on a bike who's using the whole road. I've also been held up by Porsches (a 911, whilst I was driving a Dodge Colt on Hwy 1). I've also pulled as far to the right as possible while driving a 914/6 to let a guy on a bike by.

The Mines Rd. is not all that safe in the best of times (lots of gravel strewn corners to catch out the unwary, esp. those on bikes), so adding to the problem by letting your ego get the best of you isn't helpful.

Besides, there's not much more satisfying than letting someone by and finding that they can't pull away from you.
ppickerell
You're shittin me, my 914 will go 125? Bring that pasta rocket on!
scotty
That's one fast Vespa!
F4i
QUOTE(mikez @ Mar 4 2004, 05:50 PM)

agree.gif
John
Awww Geezzz...

You guys sound like a bunch of OLD FARTS!

Can't you remember being young and dumb? (and indestructable to boot)

Way before I ever started drivers-ed events and club racing, I used to take the old man's hot rod turbo out and scare the shit out of those damn itallian speghetti specials. I never found one that could take the heat. Now granted, this was in a state where there are no twisty roads, and I was young and dumb, but most bikes seem to give up at somewhere around 150-160mph. A friend of mine at the time would brag to me about his Ducati and his Moto Guzzi until I gave him a ride in that turbo. That car was kinda fun.

Now that I'm older, and know how to navigate a race track (and have become destructable) I don't play such games on the street, BUT it does remind me of my youth.....

You are only young once.....

BOTH DICKS WERE WRONG. Racing takes at least two.
Seagrave
I agree with the crowd. You wuz wrong and shudda let the guy by. No need to make him prove what a numbskull he is by putting everyone (including anyone who might be coming the other way soon) in harm's way. I've done my share of racing too, bikes and cars, but 18 years with the fire department, including time picking up this type of driver with a shovel, cured me.
campbellcj
Just this morning I actually had a pleasant suprise canyon passing experience. I was already late and it was a nice morning so I took Piuma Rd over the top to Las Flores on the way to work.

Partway up the very fast, twisty road I got stuck behind a Honda hybrid with a silver haired hippie dude and his dog, with Green Party bumper stickers, going a tad below the 35mph speed limit. (No I'm not exaggerating, this is near Topanga Cyn mind you.) I was storming pretty hard in the Audi but settled in behind Mr. Granola because safe and legal passing is non-existant for the most part up there.

Lo and behold...at the first safe and legal chance he actually pulled over and let me by. Woohoo...your typical Birkenstock wearing Topanga squirrel-feeder would do everything possible to hold you behind them at 22.5mph with optimal fuel economy and tire wear for hours.

Soooooooooo....then I get up towards the top, having some fun squirting from full boost to hard braking between turns, and I run across a pair of CHP cruisers enjoying their morning java break up at the killer viewpoint, engines and radars shut off. They gave me the stare-down but didn't budge. Prolly wondering WTF I was doing up there on a Thursday morning? Gladly a write-up for 70 in a 35 was not in the cards today.

I'm convinced if I had illegally passed Mr. Granola, I'd be headed for traffic school. Idiot passing moves are not tolerated on these roads, at least so I've been told many times.
Rgreen914
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Mar 4 2004, 08:35 PM)

Can't you remember being young and dumb? (and indestructable to boot)

That kind makes the best soldier...oh yeah, and the best gang member!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.