Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fasteners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
I have new fasteners for all these areas. They came from a "regular" here, and will work fine. But......

Other than the spring tabs, no parts are anything other than zinc coated.

It's been too long for me to remember, but were these fasteners ever "cad" plated, or did they just rust quickly?

I dunno!
Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 15 2009, 08:05 PM) *

I have new fasteners for all these areas. They came from a "regular" here, and will work fine. But......

Other than the spring tabs, no parts are anything other than zinc coated.

It's been too long for me to remember, but were these fasteners ever "cad" plated, or did they just rust quickly?

I dunno!
Pat

Pat - can you post pix of each, to help in comparing with the OE parts on our cars.

Can you also post a link to your source here, or wherever plz? ...as it Tod in NJ?

I think that the screws/bolts for the lower rockers were zinc, but I'll have to dig mine out & photo them for you/all.

Below are the upper threshold to rocker rivets on right from mine. I'm pretty sure that they're OE - or at least were no later than 12/75 if they were changed out on an earlier repaint than my 2 (for which they weren't), but that's unlikely from what I can see under them as still being the OE L80E.

Zinc Plated Door Threshold to Upper Rocker Rivet at Right:
Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
Will do!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 16 2009, 07:52 PM) *

Will do!

So....
Here we have the rocker fasteners, as supplied by Uncle George (AA). I have no problems with them, other than the transluscent rivets, and would have a problem with them if more correct ones weren't available.

Most of AA's parts appear to be zinc coated, though a minor few appear to have "cad" plating. All in all, it's a good kit (my opinion). To the right you'll see examples of TOD914's custom made rivets, which are about as perfect as you can get. The white rivets are white for the early cars. The blacks ar black for the later cars. You guys really need to PM TOD914 about these, as I think he still has more of each.
Pat

Next, we'll view the AA F & R pan fastener kits.
Tom_T
oo-oo!!! I need those for my valences & probably the rockers too when I get them off! It's great to see what AA is actually offering. BIG Thanx Pat!

Tod914 was also going to try to source the threshold to rocker rivets like the pic I posted above.

Sticking with your fasteners theme - I also found these other type of metal large & small rivets at Sierra Madre Collection online (good pix of the parts at the links below, unlike AA's guessing game):
Large Chassis Rivets:
http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/store...etail&p=539
Small Chassis Rivets:
http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/store...etail&p=538

...& the black plastic screw covers ofor the black vinyl pads & dash, etc.:
http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/store...etail&p=639

& more hardware & 914 parts at:
http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/store...t_grid&c=43
http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/store..._list&c=111

They're heavy on 356 & 911/912 stuff, have some 914 parts too, & are out here in the LA area.

btw - Perf Products is running their annual weekly Fathers Day special of 20% off any order over $100 this week to Sat! smile.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 16 2009, 07:28 PM) *

Will do!

So....
Here we have the rocker fasteners, as supplied by Uncle George (AA). I have no problems with them, other than the transluscent rivets, and would have a problem with them if more correct ones weren't available.

Most of AA's parts appear to be zinc coated, though a minor few appear to have "cad" plating. All in all, it's a good kit (my opinion). To the right you'll see examples of TOD914's custom made rivets, which are about as perfect as you can get. The white rivets are white for the early cars. The blacks ar black for the later cars. You guys really need to PM TOD914 about these, as I think he still has more of each.
Pat

agree.gif
Yup - Tod914's are better for either early or late! mine in the pix above (2 at center & left) are just like his white ones - for my alum. threshold!

btw - my rocker screws are rusty, but appear to be zinc coated at one time, & the clips could be either cad or zinc or both!?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 16 2009, 08:28 PM) *

Will do!

So....

Pat

Still working on the F & R pan fasteners sent by AA. Comparing to PET & there seem to be some differences. Will post when certain.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 22 2009, 07:44 PM) *

Will do!

So....

Pat

Still working on the F & R pan fasteners sent by AA. Comparing to PET & there seem to be some differences. Will post when certain.

wutz a PET??? confused24.gif ...is that for Pelican or ????
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 22 2009, 09:55 PM) *

Will do!

So....

Pat

PET is the electronic version of the 914, and all others, parts manuals. Comes on a CD & replaces all those red vinyl parts manuals you have (you DO have these, right?). Nice thing about PET is that it covers every model. I can check parts for my 914 & 911 without every digging out one of those red vinyl manuals. And, you can search by partno, description, etc.

Got mine from evilBay couple of years ago, for $10. Can't beat it!
Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 23 2009, 06:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 22 2009, 09:55 PM) *

Will do!

So....

Pat

PET is the electronic version of the 914, and all others, parts manuals. Comes on a CD & replaces all those red vinyl parts manuals you have (you DO have these, right?). Nice thing about PET is that it covers every model. I can check parts for my 914 & 911 without every digging out one of those red vinyl manuals. And, you can search by partno, description, etc.

Got mine from evilBay couple of years ago, for $10. Can't beat it!
Pat

Okay - brain fart here! barf.gif

I downloaded the most recent PET in pdf from the Porsche website back in Feb, but they seem to have disabled the link since then. screwy.gif

Uncle Georgie also sells the full 914 Service manuals scanned onto CD(s) for about $80, which I still need to get. So you can get rid of those other red (or grey) binders too! poke.gif

Remember that mine's been on blocks for the past 24+ years in the garage & before that my German 914 Factory Trained mechanic Hans took care of everything for me - & very well I might add.

So I still need to collect these things - for self-defense if nothing else, since Hans & company will still take care of most mechanical stuff for me! smile.gif
Max914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 23 2009, 07:09 PM) *

I downloaded the most recent PET in pdf from the Porsche website back in Feb, but they seem to have disabled the link since then. screwy.gif

You can still download the PDF of PET at http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...914_KATALOG.pdf or you can go to http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesands...partscatalogue/ and use the dropdowns to pick the model and year you want.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 22 2009, 08:44 PM) *

Will do!

So....

Pat

OK, as promised, here is the AA kit for lower pan fasteners. They are the same from AA, for front or rear.

Tell me what's missing.
Pat
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 5 2009, 07:41 PM) *

Will do!

So....

Pat

OK, as promised, here is the AA kit for lower pan fasteners. They are the same from AA, for front or rear.

Tell me what's missing.
Pat

Should be 4 or 6 of the black nylon spacers I thought!?> confused24.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 5 2009, 10:40 PM) *

Will do!

So....

Pat

Tell me what's missing.
Pat

There are 2 spacers for each panel - total of four, front & rear.

Now, here's my question.

Front pan - the hex head bolts mount from onside the trunk, to large speed nuts.

Rear is the question. Remeber, my original snowplow gave up the ghost over 30 years ago, so I mounted a later style rear Half-pan. I was in my early 30's then & mounted it expeditiously with screw from the rear, into speed nuts underneath.

So, my question(s) is/are....shoule the new snow plow be mounted the same as the front? i.e., bolts from the muffler side through to speed nuts on the front side? Am I missing a large washer? huh.gif

Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 6 2009, 07:05 PM) *

Will do!

So....

Pat

Tell me what's missing.
Pat

Now, here's my question.

Front pan - the hex head bolts mount from onside the trunk, to large speed nuts.

Rear is the question. Remeber, my original snowplow gave up the ghost over 30 years ago, so I mounted a later style rear Half-pan. I was in my early 30's then & mounted it expeditiously with screw from the rear, into speed nuts underneath.

So, my question(s) is/are....shoule the new snow plow be mounted the same as the front? i.e., bolts from the muffler side through to speed nuts on the front side? Am I missing a large washer? huh.gif

Pat,

Mine's off the 73 (shrt) & might be different. I'd look at the Haynes or another 72 to see the correct OE. On mine I have a large washer for each screw/bolt in the back valence rear (in a baggie temp).

Re: black nylon spacer- washers, I was thinking there were the 2 on the ends plus 2-4 along the front or rear face (similar to the rockers), but forgot that it's hidden by the bumpers there! ...brain fart! blink.gif

BTW - Do you know if they made an aftermarket STEEL short rear valence to fit 73-73 etc.? I was looking at a 74 shell for body parts, but it's valence looked different, had an extra steel brace behind & above the exhaust notch, & anmore krinckle-paint sort of finish!!?? confused24.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 6 2009, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 6 2009, 07:05 PM) *

Will do!

So....

Pat

Tell me what's missing.
Pat

Now, here's my question.

Pat,

Mine's off the 73 (shrt) & might be different. I'd look at the Haynes or another 72 to see the correct OE. On mine I have a large washer for each screw/bolt in the back valence rear (in a baggie temp).

Re: black nylon spacer- washers, I was thinking there were the 2 on the ends plus 2-4 along the front or rear face (similar to the rockers), but forgot that it's hidden by the bumpers there! ...brain fart! blink.gif

BTW - Do you know if they made an aftermarket STEEL short rear valence to fit 73-73 etc.? I was looking at a 74 shell for body parts, but it's valence looked different, had an extra steel brace behind & above the exhaust notch, & anmore krinckle-paint sort of finish!!?? confused24.gif

Tom,

PM me about the rear shortie pan. I'll be replacing mine with the appropriate snowplow when it comes off the stands (clearance too low until it's on the ground). Then I'll have a shortie that is perfect, but has no purpose.
Pat
Tom_T
Thanx! - sent pm smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.