Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hand brake light?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
Is there supposed to be a handbrake light? None of my 914's seemed to have one. I'm tired of having my handbrake not all the way down and having to set rear clearance all the time.

I would think it would be easy to hook a switch to the low pressure brake lamp if they didn't come with one.
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 16 2009, 11:11 AM) *

Is there supposed to be a handbrake light? None of my 914's seemed to have one. I'm tired of having my handbrake not all the way down and having to set rear clearance all the time.

I would think it would be easy to hook a switch to the low pressure brake lamp if they didn't come with one.

IPB Image

Upper left light with the "B" in a circle insignia. This should come on when you pull the handbrake. It will start flashing if you have the handbrake on and you step on the brake pedal... why... I have no idea but maybe just to get your attention to the fact that it is on.

This is also your MC/system failure light. If this goes on while you are driving you have a leak in the system.

The e brake comes in contact with a spring loaded button that grounds the connection when the brake is on. When it is down the light goes off. It works exaclty like the buttons in the door jamb that turn the interior light on and off.

If you have never seen the red light in the upper left of the guage cluster come on first check your fuse, then the bulb. If those are okay then inspect the spring loaded button (remove your drivers seat for better viewing) they will often get stuck with lint, dirt, or corrosion. Clean it to make sure all the contact points are shiny and the plastic button moves up and down freely. If you still don't have a red light then check the relay and your harness for continuity in the wiring.
underthetire
Thank you. Yes the lamp comes on when all the brake fluid leaks out overnight. Have the marks in my garage door to prove it.
Spoke
Just under your parking brake handle there is a little button switch mounted in the crossmember of the floor. This switch should have a brown wire attached to it.

Or like my 71, the brown wire was not connected to the switch but was taped up under the driver's seat. Grounding the wire will cause the brake light to come on. This is what should happen when you pull the brake lever up.
70Sixter
And with my old style double-jointed handle you sometimes have to pull your wrist back as if to give a thumbs up in order to seat the handle so that the light will go out.
6freak
QUOTE(70Sixter @ Jun 16 2009, 05:25 PM) *

And with my old style double-jointed handle you sometimes have to pull your wrist back as if to give a thumbs up in order to seat the handle so that the light will go out.

yup !!!almost a two handed operation kinda sucky so i never use it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.