Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coca Cola cleaning rust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
So,
Is this a myth or is it real?
We all know someone who did it...
Has anyone here actually tried to remove rust, grease, carbon with Coca Cola?

Rich
underthetire
Just cleaning battery terminals
TimT
Might work... some people use Molasses or Sorghum to remove rust...

Here

More
mtndawg
I've soaked parts in vinegar and the rust comes right off.
biosurfer1
According to Mythbusters, it cleans chrome pretty well, but doesn;t do much to rust.
ghuff
Fact. It has phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid has a ph of like 3.

Yes it will eat rust.
pete-stevers
i dunno..
but i like the burn of an ice cold coke on ice going down the hatch
smontanaro
Why not just use seltzer water? It would be a lot less sticky. (I hope Coke just has carbonic acid and not phosphoric acid, btw.)
r_towle
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jun 16 2009, 09:51 PM) *

Why not just use seltzer water? It would be a lot less sticky. (I hope Coke just has carbonic acid and not phosphoric acid, btw.)

It has both from what I have read.

Rich
sww914
It doesn't work as well as pizza sauce.
sww914
And pizza sauce leaves a nice paintable protective coating behind after it dries.
VOX
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

so i went and took some!

IPB Image
IPB Image

the smaller piece only had surface rust from sitting outside for 4 months. the other piece im not sure cut from the front bumper.

oh and the pieces sat in the soda for 10 minutes.
ghuff
QUOTE(VOX @ Jun 16 2009, 07:27 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

so i went and took some!

the smaller piece only had surface rust from sitting outside for 4 months. the other piece im not sure cut from the front bumper.

oh and the pieces sat in the soda for 10 minutes.

Coca cola is notoriously more acidic than Pepsi.

Get some sugary real coca cola and repeat smile.gif
dbgriffith75
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Jun 16 2009, 06:59 PM) *

According to Mythbusters, it cleans chrome pretty well, but doesn;t do much to rust.

I saw that episode of Mythbusters as well.

I'm just wondering... what's wrong with a sandblaster or rust converter?

Oh, and VOX- that's Pepsi- this thread is about coke- besides everybody knows that coke is superior to pepsi in every way... biggrin.gif Plus I don't think 10 minutes is really long enough for it to act because it's rather diluted in soda- try soaking them overnight and see if anything happens.
VOX
hahaha but i dont have any coke!, this was the last can of pepsi, not to mention it was diet.
ghuff
QUOTE(VOX @ Jun 16 2009, 07:41 PM) *

hahaha but i dont have any coke!, this was the last can of pepsi, not to mention it was diet.

You can still see that it works, it has eaten the surface away and is/was working on the deep pits in the metal that are now black.......

I know coca cola would work faster/better due to it's lower PH and higher acidit.y
jt914-6
True or not, I heard several years ago at the 24 hours of Daytona the Bob Akin 962 was having a clutch slipping problem near the end of the race and they came into the pits and poured a couple cans of Coke in the bell housing onto the clutch to help with the slipping problem.....Anyone remember this too???? PS---his car was sponcered by Coke....
ghuff
Let me go get the expensive jug of por-15 "Metal Ready"
Ingredients "Phosphoric Acid & Zinc Phosphate"

welder.gif

turnaround89
almost all pops have phosphoric acid in them, just depends how much...Coke has the highest amount. You really want to get rid of rust, you need some 12M(concentrated) sulfuric acid, instead of removing rust it'll just eat through the metal biggrin.gif

the zinc phosphate in POR 15 is just a coating to prevent more rust, while the phosphoric acid removes the surface rust
carr914
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Jun 16 2009, 11:56 PM) *

True or not, I heard several years ago at the 24 hours of Daytona the Bob Akin 962 was having a clutch slipping problem near the end of the race and they came into the pits and poured a couple cans of Coke in the bell housing onto the clutch to help with the slipping problem.....Anyone remember this too???? PS---his car was sponcered by Coke....

It is a True story, but I don't think it was Bob Akins car - Damn now I'm going to have to do some research

T.C.
URY914
I know that a splash of Coke with some rum is pretty good.
jt914-6
If anyone can come up with the real story I think it would be you TC.......
Katmanken
Yup, acids eat metal and C*ke is an acid...

With rust converters, there are typically other compounds included such as tannins to convert the rust to the more stable magnetite, and the inclusion of organic zinc compounds to add a little zinc to the treated item.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.