Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which is the better HE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
I have a 74 with a 70 1.7 bigbore. I have SS HE's for a 70 1.7 and 74 2.0. I wavey.gif need to get a new muffler so which HE would be the better choice.
r_towle
2.0 liter...
Larger interior dimension of tubing.

Rich
rhodyguy
plus more options with regards to muffler sytems.
seanery
agree.gif

Welcome Ruddyboys!
Gint
agree.gif Your motor will love wub.gif you. Welcome to the board.
LvSteveH
I agree, the 2.0L would probably have more muffler options, but I believe the tubing size is the same on the SSI exchangers for both the 2.0 and 1.7/1.8, which makes sense. If you are going to make an aftermarket part, why not build it to the highest flow. Maybe Brad can confirm.
Rgreen914
Brad told me the 2.0 H.E.'s would "really wake up a 1.7"; unsure if he meant "stock" H.E.'s or stainless H.E.'s.
garyh
QUOTE(LvSteveH @ Mar 4 2004, 09:35 PM)
I believe the tubing size is the same on the SSI exchangers for both the 2.0 and 1.7/1.8, which makes sense.

That's what I remember too. (I'm not brave enough to mention SSI in front of Brad.)

The Bursh muffler is essentially the same for the 1.7 and 2.0. IMHO, the 1.7 is nicer because it sits up higher.

Muffler hangers are probably easier to get for the 1.7 setup.
Dave_Darling
The aftermarket exchangers have the same diameter--so there is very little difference between the 1.7 and the 2.0 versions, pretty much just the "kick-up" near the end. That will likely make some small difference, but not a lot.

The stock 2.0 exchangers are smaller diameter than the aftermarket ones, and the stock 1.7 ones are smaller yet. So the aftermarket bits should help out over the stock 1.7 bits.

The stock 1.7 muffler hanger should indeed be easieir to get, so if you don't already have a 2.0 muffler hanger that may be a factor. Then again, the 1.7 exchangers are pretty uncommon so you may be able to sell them for decent $$ and buy or make a 2.0 hanger....

--DD
ruddyboys
I have both HEs and hangers for the 1.7 and 2.0. I like the idea that the 1.7 wil pushe the muffler up out of the way alittle more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.