cwpeden
All in one day,

Wheel bearing
Fuel leaks
Charging system
Trunk lock

WTF.gif

Where do I start blink.gif

I dont know, just looking for a little sympathy I guess.

I'll get started after my boys Little League game and groceries. Man I love being domestic screwy.gif
RJMII
I feel your pain... I own a 914 also. =o)
markb
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jun 16 2009, 06:14 PM) *

I feel your pain... I own a 914 also. =o)

agree.gif
URY914
Welcome to the club, I mean world.
Gint
Wait until you open the engine lid to top up the oil and either see daylight out the hellhole or the battery is laying on top of the motor.

Such is life with a classic car.

beerchug.gif
sww914
At least people smile and wave and want to talk about cars when they see you driving a 914. Doesn't happen in a Camry.
Gint
Nothing like driving in to work at 05:30 in the summer with the top off already too.

It could be worse!
cwpeden
Well I took the Alt. out today.

Heres a picture list of the items to remove to make it easy.

Click to view attachment

And the hole left: Once all the parts are out the alternator practically falls out till you disconnect the wires dry.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

stepuptotheMike
You know what.... I think you just helped me solve the problem with my engine tin with your last picture. I've had a gap in mine since I had my alternator rebuilt a few weeks ago..... back out to the garage to fix it. Good luck with yours. I was a pain in the arse that took me many hours, but at least now I know how to do it.

Mike
cwpeden
Mke, What was your dilema?

Replacement Alt. went in ok. There has to be an easier way to get the bottom bolt in....Its in and the alternator is good. Turned out to be the reg. I guess.

Replaceed all the FI hoses in the engine compartment. I used 5/16 and it was pretty painless. Except for the gas getting in the cuts from doing the alternator.

Note to self...torque wheels before test drive slap.gif

Next step will be CV's and wheel bearings.
PanelBilly
The regulator I GUESS?? Aren't you sure?

I had an altenator problem. I took it out and put it back over and over tring to figure out what was going on. Would charge sometimes and not others. On the bench it would test fine. I'd test other things and they'd be fine too. Kept comming back to the alternator. FInely, I pulled it apart and saw that one of the brushes was split in half. That's why it worked sometimes and not others.
cwpeden
Ya, same thing here.

Took out bench test fine put back in , no good.

Back out, took to a proper auto-electrical shop, bench tested fine at all revs. Hooked up reg at auto-electrical shop no good/intermittent.

Took shitty old dirty reg off the shelf works ok.

I'm no electrical guru....things turn and electrons move, thats about it from my perspective.

I borrowed an alt from a buddy and my original is in the shop for a rebrush anyways they said that these alts. break brushes and they bounce when short. So better safe than sorry.
stepuptotheMike
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jun 21 2009, 02:49 PM) *

Mke, What was your dilema?

Replacement Alt. went in ok. There has to be an easier way to get the bottom bolt in....Its in and the alternator is good. Turned out to be the reg. I guess.

Replaceed all the FI hoses in the engine compartment. I used 5/16 and it was pretty painless. Except for the gas getting in the cuts from doing the alternator.

Note to self...torque wheels before test drive slap.gif

Next step will be CV's and wheel bearings.

I had got the bugger back in and bolted up, but I couldn't get the bottom piece of engine tin to line up correctly. Had a big arse gap at the bottom of the fan. Went back out to the garage last night after looking at your picture and was able to get it tapped in the correct way, so all's good now.

Mike
r_towle
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 21 2009, 02:59 PM) *

The regulator I GUESS?? Aren't you sure?

I had an altenator problem. I took it out and put it back over and over tring to figure out what was going on. Would charge sometimes and not others. On the bench it would test fine. I'd test other things and they'd be fine too. Kept comming back to the alternator.

And you figured, while you had the alternator out....you might as well paint the engine bay....and then...while you were there...

Look how that turned out...huh

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.