Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deal or no Deal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
statesblue
Got a deal on 3 four bolt bug wheels to make my parts car a roller. $20.00 seemed pretty good to me.
Anyway, he also has a 2.0 van motor for sale. No heads or F.I. but all the rest of the motor is there. Was supposedly a rebuilt running motor that developed a nasty oil leak and the owner tore it apart to fix it but never did.The current owner picked it up after a few years of sitting around collecting dust. Is this thing worth the $125.00 he's asking???? Would this be something I could build to put in my 75 ?? Or should it be left alone to collect more dust???
Spoke
I haven't heard too many good things about the 2L bus motor. I think it has lower compression than the 2L 914 engine (dished pistons). I'd stick with a 2L 914 engine.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(statesblue @ Jun 16 2009, 08:45 PM) *

Got a deal on 3 four bolt bug wheels to make my parts car a roller. $20.00 seemed pretty good to me.
Anyway, he also has a 2.0 van motor for sale. No heads or F.I. but all the rest of the motor is there. Was supposedly a rebuilt running motor that developed a nasty oil leak and the owner tore it apart to fix it but never did.The current owner picked it up after a few years of sitting around collecting dust. Is this thing worth the $125.00 he's asking???? Would this be something I could build to put in my 75 ?? Or should it be left alone to collect more dust???

Leave it alone. Walk away. Unless you have a bunch of money to float into an unknown boat anchor.
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 16 2009, 07:52 PM) *

QUOTE(statesblue @ Jun 16 2009, 08:45 PM) *

Leave it alone. Walk away. Unless you have a bunch of money to float into an unknown boat anchor.

Pat,
Smart Idea.....
URY914
I would buy it for the parts. The crank and rods are good for a 1.7 or 1.8 conversion.

I bet the Cap'n would agree.

PanelBilly
Invest in sure things. You know, like major banks and insurance companies...Oh yah, that's throwing your money away. Let the engine sit there.
statesblue
Just wanted to thank you guys for the advise. I guess i thought that but wanted to hear it from someone else.
I am pretty new at this aircooled Porsche stuff. Never saw myself owning a Porsche but one came my way and I really dig the thing. Trouble is I have more going on than a one armed paper hanger so I figure I will hang onto the little jewel til I retire ( 4YRS ) then I will hopefully have time to make it really nice.
It runs great and its all there so at least I can drive it til then but its in need of some resto work.
Again.......Thanks
Cap'n Krusty
Talk about a bunch id short-sighted advice! The crank and rods, given they're in good shape, are easily worth $125, and they're drop-ins to make any 1.7 or 1.8 into a 2.0. You would be tossing the pistons and cylinders anyway, so who cares if they're low compression? Even the case is usable, with a little work, and you get all those handy little bits and pieces.
The Cap'n
URY914
Just as I said Cap'n.
tat2dphreak
I wondered about that, Capn... wouldn't it depend on the year of the engine? weren't the late engines the wasserboxer, making them worthless?

I dunno, it was before my aircooled rebirth so I don't know all the ins and outs... you know a lot more about it than I do...

either way I wouldn't use the engine as is.. but a 2.0 crank can be $$ and useful in a 1.7 or 1.8... and even if it's not the best, it could probably be repaired and stroked to a 74+ stroke.
statesblue
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 17 2009, 08:04 AM) *

Talk about a bunch id short-sighted advice! The crank and rods, given they're in good shape, are easily worth $125, and they're drop-ins to make any 1.7 or 1.8 into a 2.0. You would be tossing the pistons and cylinders anyway, so who cares if they're low compression? Even the case is usable, with a little work, and you get all those handy little bits and pieces.
The Cap'n

The motor in question is an 81........Any good???
Cupomeat
I'd say it is worth it!

OR, forget that, put your money here!

http://www.reincarnationbank.com/

Just don't ask about withdrawals in the near term...
av-943.gif

statesblue
O.K. ............so I buy the motor for the crank and rods.
Is there any info out there as to how to build a 1.7 or 1.8 to make a 2.0??
Again, I am really new to all this but I don't mind learning.
I did a search for info but I didn't have any luck finding any.
HELP
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(statesblue @ Jun 17 2009, 09:20 PM) *

O.K. ............so I buy the motor for the crank and rods.
Is there any info out there as to how to build a 1.7 or 1.8 to make a 2.0??
Again, I am really new to all this but I don't mind learning.
I did a search for info but I didn't have any luck finding any.
HELP

yep, tons... there is a wealth of info on it... with the crank and rods, all you need is some 96mm pistons and cylinders to have a nice 2056... if you have a 1.7 tho, consult someone wiser than me, IIRD the 1.7 aftermarket cylinders are too thin... so most people get 2.0 cylinders and hone them out... those may be usable off the bus too, meaning all you need is good pistons.... flat top 94s(for true 2.0L) or 96mm for a 2056...

consult with capn, mark or jake on what cam to use, too... depends on what kind of fuel delivery you are going to have.... jake's DVD or the book "how to rebuild your VW aircooled engine" will help a lot too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.