Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: initial cranking oil pressure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type11969
Getting ready to fire up my rebuilt t4 in my bus, went through the process of cranking to build oil pressure and I am seeing about 5 psi . . . enough to turn the oil light off. Has anyone ever put a gauge on their engine during initial cranking to see what they get? Curious about the numbers.

Thanks,

Chris
Jake Raby
We usually see 20-30 PSI but thats according to many variables.. Are you using Brad Penn Break in oil??

Do you have the spark plugs pulled?? If not the engine won't spin faster than 200 RPM and that'll really hurt the initial oil pressure
type11969
Hey Jake, just emailed Blake but was itchin for an answer. Spark plugs are pulled and I am using 30wt break-in Brad Penn . . . What do you think? 5psi seems low but my starter motor could be worn. No tach hooked up right now, unfortunately.

Also the pressure doesn't hold for very long.

-Chris
Jake Raby
You should have mentioned you had the rockers pulled.. Thats where all the oil pressure bled out to :-)
type11969
Yeah, I'm an idiot. Seems like having the lifters in place should block enough of the flow to build more pressure but I guess not. Maybe one or more of them were pushed out by the pressure to open up the galley fully. It will be interesting to see what happens tonight.

Thanks,

Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.