Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: S2000 motor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
devet14
Can it be done? Has anyone done that conversion.
SGB
OMG those motors are STRONG! 4500 to 8500 RPM is loaded with torque. It would scream in a 914. So would the driver.
SGB
OH...

WELCOME to 914 world.

smile.gif
devet14
QUOTE(SGB @ Jun 17 2009, 07:10 AM) *

OH...

WELCOME to 914 world.

smile.gif

smile.gif thanks
tat2dphreak
as we've seen here many times... anything can be done... my first thought of concern is for the tranny tho... dunno if the 901 can handle it.... maybe not the 915, I dunno.... it's different than putting a big /6 or a v8 chebbie... lots of revs. unsure.gif should be very interesting.

welcome to the board!
Gint
Does it rotate the right way?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 17 2009, 11:18 AM) *

IIRC the S2000 does rotate the correct way, unlike their FWD civic motors...
Katmanken
Lemme see...

When the clutch is engaged, the motor spins the tranny shaft at the exact same speed..... idea.gif

Ya really want to hammer power to a 30+ year old transmisson designed to spin at about half that speed with NLA bearings and a problematical intermediate plate?????? Balance of driven components is gonna be critical... icon8.gif

Did I mention the CV joints moving at 2X velocity????

That engine is probably a gutless wonder at low speeds.....
r_towle
QUOTE(kwales @ Jun 17 2009, 03:58 PM) *

Ya really want to hammer power to a 30+ year old transmisson designed to spin at about half that speed with NLA bearings and a problematical intermediate plate??????

Yes, I do.
jhadler
QUOTE(kwales @ Jun 17 2009, 12:58 PM) *

That engine is probably a gutless wonder at low speeds.....

Not "probably"... It is. The S2000 is an awesome car, with a fantastic motor, but you have to wind the p*ss out of it to really get it going. The transmission would be a weak link for sure...

-Josh2
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jun 17 2009, 08:27 AM) *

agree.gif

And as far as the 901 handling the engine... the engine doesn't make a lot of torque, so I don't think it would be a big deal.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jun 17 2009, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jun 17 2009, 08:27 AM) *

agree.gif

And as far as the 901 handling the engine... the engine doesn't make a lot of torque, so I don't think it would be a big deal.

But it turns at nearly twice the RPMs that the 914 901 was built to handle.

Zach
tat2dphreak
But it turns at nearly twice the RPMs that the 914 901 was built to handle.

which was my point... even 915 trannys didn't have to deal with the same kind of rpms
Dave_Darling
The early 911, which the 901 transmission was developed for, spun 7K RPM. You're only adding another 2K to that.

IIRC, the length of the S2K motor makes the conversion about as impractical as the 928 engine.

...Which would you rather have, an S2K motor'ed 914 or a replica of the Alien?

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.