Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: running on two cylinders ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brandomc
Hi everyone, I have been woking on this 72 914 1.7 Fi for about a month now. When i bought the car the guy said that the right head "Cyl 4,3" needed some work. The car started, but would barely run. No throttle responce, wont idle much. I towed the car home, started cleaning things in the engine compartment, attempted to set the timing, but the fuel hose cracked and started spraying fuel in my face. I replaced all the fuel lines in the engine compartment, replaced a couple of vaccuum lines, cleaned the throttle body, Painted a few things, then adjusted the valves. When i adjusted the valves, I found that cyl 4 intake valve was pulled into the head to where there is no more adjustment. I know i need to fix this problem before the engine will run correctly, but i need to drive this car a couple of miles to my mechanic "might have to tow if all else fails".
I put everything back together, checked the point gap, started the engine and set the timing, but the engine runs like crap. Better than when i bought it, but still crap. I could tell something was wrong, so i started pulling plug wires to see which cylinders were firing. found that 1 and 3 are firing good, but 2 and 4 are doing nothing. When i tried to start the car with just 2 and 4 hooked up, i just got a small backfire into the intake. Plug wires are in correct sequence. After running i checked exhaust pipes and 2,4 were barely warm, 1,3 were hot. anyone have an idea of what i need to look at next? Thanks
tradisrad
Check your FI trigger points that are located on the dizzy. They control the firing of the injectors and control 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 in pairs.
underthetire
Injector points in the distributor
ECU
Ground lead to the injectors

Sounds like you might have a dropped valve seat as well.
brandomc
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jun 17 2009, 10:13 AM) *

Check your FI trigger points that are located on the dizzy. They control the firing of the injectors and control 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 in pairs.

I looked it up and the trigger points will control cyl 1,4 and 2,3 so that doesnt seem to be the problem, unless that info is wrong? Thanks
brandomc
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 17 2009, 10:16 AM) *

Injector points in the distributor
ECU
Ground lead to the injectors

Sounds like you might have a dropped valve seat as well.

Yeah, i am positive that valve seat is droped, but it is only on #4, not #2 "which is also not firing". How do you check the ecu, and where do the injector ground leads connect? I can hear the injectors firing when i turn the ignition on and turn the trottle, but i dont know if fuel is actually coming out.
brandomc
Anybody have any ideas of how i can isolate this problem. Im not sure where to start, or what the logical steps are to diagnosing a problem like this. Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.