Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unresponsive FI
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bare 1
My stock 72 has no pizazz below say 2500 . If I don't rev it up and slip the clutch to get moving it is just a pig !!! Ive almost gotten hit more than a couple times . If i just get it rolling and step on the gas it just putts away until the revs build a bit. Kinda scary Seems ok at higher rpm but a slug down low Ive driven old bugs that took off better than this. What should I look at first ? It has new points and plugs and valve adjustment. I think this may have the wrong distributor in it . I have some paper work saying it was replaced before I bought it I can't believe Porsche would hide the hold down nut under the advance diaphram. It's a real pain in the ass to get to and the pics in my Haines show it placed differently. If it was that far out of time i don't think it would run at all!!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(bare 1 @ Jun 17 2009, 07:15 PM) *

If it was that far out of time i don't think it would run at all!!!

Mine ran with the dizzy 180 deg. off!!!

How's that for "far out"?
headbang.gif Andy
bare 1
this is maybe 35 degrees off. 180 out ? HMMMM Did it run backwards??? biggrin.gif
r_towle
Fuel filter, fuel pressure, TPS (clean it) and check your timing.

When mine did that, it was fuel pressure and TPS cleaning the solved it.

Rich
bare 1
TPS ? throttle position switch?? ( my first teener)
r_towle
yes, throttle position switch.

Rich
Rand
It's retarded. biggrin.gif

Time it first. That's easy, and since it's in question it is critical. You need to know it's right. It will also affect your temperatures.
McMark
Valve adjustment and timing.
Gint
QUOTE(bare 1 @ Jun 17 2009, 08:37 PM) *
this is maybe 35 degrees off. 180 out ? HMMMM Did it run backwards??? biggrin.gif

Sounds to me like it's retarded. As you time the engine you'll turn the dizzy some number of degrees. Not quite 35 though.

agree.gif With just about everything stated above. Start with the basics. Clean it up, check all of the vacuum hoses and replace as necessary and then get the timing right. Toss in a new set of points while you're at it. Then I'd do a valve adjustment.

I had one 914 that wouldn't stay timed at all until I replaced the dizzy. It kept losing dwell angle because the points rubbing block kept wearing away. I never found out the real root cause because I had plenty of dizzies laying around at the time. Tossed in a replacement and it worked great.
rhodyguy
no oomph in your 1.7 @ under 2500rpm in 5th gear? put it in 4th and give it some gas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.