Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wow - factory 2.0 mufflers are expensive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Hi - I just bought a new [to me] 73 2.0 as I missed having a 4 - still keeping my six. I had sold my 73 1.7 about a year ago... Anyways, I'll post some pictures of the new car shortly.

It currently has a Bursch exhaust but with some aftermarket muffler attached. It's not too bad, but I really like the look/sound of the factory 2.0 muffler. I can't beleive how much these are now?!?! A steel *muffler* should really not be this much ($473)...

Anyways, at this price (or a little more) wasn't there also an aluminum option from a vendor in Germany? Any contact info?

-Steve

IPB Image

SirAndy
QUOTE(siverson @ Jun 18 2009, 09:30 AM) *

wasn't there also an aluminum option from a vendor in Germany?

I believe Mittelmotor had a stainless steel version at one point in time ...

http://www.mittelmotor.de/content/default.aspx

Btw. their website is full of scripting errors if viewed in Firefox ...
type.gif Andy
siverson
Oh yeah, that's right, thanks. It's on page 16 on their catalog...

IPB Image

Hmmm... Kind of funky looking - too big of tip IMO...
siverson
Just FYI, the catalog is here:

http://www.mittelmotor.de/content/download...4%20katalog.pdf
SirAndy
Found the following:

Part#: 0,1336A - Stock 2.0L Muffler, used - €110,00
Part#: 0,1336A - Stock 2.0L Muffler, new - €299,00

Click to view attachment

Part#: 0,1336C - Stainless Steel 2.0L Muffler, new - €???,??

Click to view attachment
turboturtle
Sweet deal for sure. The last time I looked for one, I found an original OEM for like Nine Hundred bucks. needless to say I'm still running on the old one. I might have to replace it soon however and this will be of great help.

Thanks all!

Bob
nein14
here is a DANSK I found on german ebay 2.0 4/cyl GT look
tat2dphreak
triad? I know that's what I was wanting to get when I need another muffler
jgara962
QUOTE(nein14 @ Jun 18 2009, 01:00 PM) *

That looks like the muffler I bought from you. I wish Dansk offered that here or someone made something similar. Mine's starting to get pin holes, but I love the sound of it.
bembry

Anybody ever dealt with Mittelmotor? I'm in Germany, so those mufflers seem like decent deals.
nein14
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jun 18 2009, 01:18 PM) *

That looks like the muffler I bought from you. I wish Dansk offered that here or someone made something similar. Mine's starting to get pin holes, but I love the sound of it.

it's on german ebay item # 360160778314 they take Paypal and shipp to the US
jgara962
QUOTE(nein14 @ Jun 18 2009, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jun 18 2009, 01:18 PM) *

it's on german ebay item # 360160778314 they take Paypal and shipp to the US

I looked on the Dansk website and they have it listed for $579. It also says it is for 1.7 & 1.8L engines. There is also another twin tip exhaust where they come out more towards the ends like the Triad. Also 1.7 & 1.8L only. sad.gif 2.0L just has the stock looking exhaust. I don't get it, why wouldn't they make the cool looking exhausts for the 2.0L as well. confused24.gif
robby750
QUOTE(bembry @ Jun 18 2009, 04:22 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 18 2009, 10:05 AM) *

Found the following:

Part#: 0,1336A - Stock 2.0L Muffler, used - €110,00
Part#: 0,1336A - Stock 2.0L Muffler, new - €299,00

Part#: 0,1336C - Stainless Steel 2.0L Muffler, new - €???,??

Anybody ever dealt with Mittelmotor? I'm in Germany, so those mufflers seem like decent deals.

I ordered the stainless muffler from them about 6 years ago. Back then, their website was all in German and I don't speak German. Sent them a email, they asked for a credit card #. Three weeks later my muffler arrived. I like it a lot. Good sound, not too loud, and i believe it will last forever.
johannes
The SS 2.0 Muffler from Mittelmotor in NLA ...
The OEM version is available new at 299 Euros ... That is 410$ + shipping + taxes ...
maf914
QUOTE(robby750 @ Jun 18 2009, 07:19 PM) *

QUOTE(bembry @ Jun 18 2009, 04:22 PM) *

I ordered the stainless muffler from them about 6 years ago. Back then, their website was all in German and I don't speak German. Sent them a email, they asked for a credit card #. Three weeks later my muffler arrived. I like it a lot. Good sound, not too loud, and i believe it will last forever.

I also ordered the SS muffler from Mittelmotor. I confirmed prices via e-mail and sent credit card info. The muffler arrived in a few weeks. No problems. I agree with Robby, the muffler is a nice piece and should last a long time. Too bad they are NLA as indicated by Johannes.
jonferns
A few months back I saw a NOS 2.0 muffler listed on the samba for around $200. Heres one thats on there now:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=797074

r_towle
This might be cool.

Has anyone got one of these? how does it sound?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...52BSI%26otn%3D2
MDG
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 19 2009, 03:03 PM) *

This might be cool.

A friend has that style sport muffler from Dansk on his '73 911S and it is LOUD once you're above mid-revs; sounds fantastic but if dB level is a concern . . .

Don't know what it would be like on a 4

I love the look of the twin center pipe one; too bad it looks like they only have them for 1.7 and 1.8
jgara962
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 19 2009, 12:03 PM) *

This might be cool.

That's the one I mentioned in my post above. It looks like they have that and the Carrera style exhaust available to order here in the U.S. but only for the 1.7 & 1.8. It seems odd that they would make two sporty exhausts and not include the highest displacement engine.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(siverson @ Jun 18 2009, 12:30 PM) *

Hi - I just bought a new [to me] 73 2.0 as I missed having a 4 - still keeping my six. I had sold my 73 1.7 about a year ago... Anyways, I'll post some pictures of the new car shortly.

It currently has a Bursch exhaust but with some aftermarket muffler attached. It's not too bad, but I really like the look/sound of the factory 2.0 muffler. I can't beleive how much these are now?!?! A steel *muffler* should really not be this much ($473)...

Anyways, at this price (or a little more) wasn't there also an aluminum option from a vendor in Germany? Any contact info?

-Steve

IPB Image

I have a stock 2.0 muffler I don't plan on using. I will need to inspect it closer but am pretty sure it is in good to great shape. Let me know if you are interested in it.

Donald
alan9144
QUOTE(siverson @ Jun 18 2009, 09:30 AM) *

-Steve

IPB Image

Interesting topic, I had a mittlemotor ss exhaust, it was fantastic but it took ages to get and was very heavy. been looking for an alternative, my friend in CA has been intouch with Tiger at A1, he is keen to make a stainless muffler but will need a run of at least 5 to make it work, still working on prices and would need to get a car for him to work on.

I am based in Scotland so will be trying to a source a car and also at least 5 people, if interested pm or email me.

Al
siverson

And my update: I did find a NOS 2.0 muffler on eBay for $300, and it's on the way.

Still kind of pricey (IMO), but not too bad since someone has had to store it for 30+ years. This one still has the VW logo on it/etc...

-Steve
siverson
And I've had it "high temp coated" and almost ready to install. It's quite nice so I thought I share pictures. Note the original VW logo (current reproductions don't have that).

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.