Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weak spot on rear shock tower
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porcharu
I remember a thread on this before the 'big event'. Thread had some cross sections of the rear shock tower showing that it is not fully welded into the car (I think it was Brad that posted them.) I think the area is the one shown in the picture. Anyone know where that thread is? I know I should just spend all day with the search - but there is a zillion threads about chassis +stiffening ect. Plus the endless flame wars about the GT kit.
Steve
Gint
This one?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=15765&
Porcharu
That's not THE one I was thinking of - it's actually better. It is exactly what I was looking for as I am removing the front wall of the rear trunk in my Subaru conversion.
Thanks
Steve
Gint
I searched for "+shock +tower +weld" and did some poking around. There are two or three really good ones.
charliew
I got some hinges like driveability uses on his rear hingeing trunk and it looks like it will be hard to use them and still be able to put the top in the trunk. I wanted to save the seal at the front of the trunk lid and the top holding clips along with the motor cover latch, but raise the trunk floor to clear the turbo and starter and clutch arm but it just keeps getting tighter and tighter. I don't mind a shallower trunk but I really liked the idea of taking the top off and having it in the car. I was thinking a 1 1/4 sq tube spanning between center of the towers about 1/2 way up as a floor support and another across the original floor at the back edge of the tower with a removeable floor up to the center of the tower joining the original firewall below the seal area leaving enough room for the top.

The new hinges have a cross support that keeps them straight when the trunk is up and it will need to be up against the underside of the trunk lid to also miss the top.

I really like the pictures showing all the ideas of supporting the towers, the susp. ear and the tranny support.

Actually the rh motor tranny cradle sorta does tie in the back end of some of the important points. If it had a susp. ear brace and tower brace it would be even neater.

You know the suby motor actually uses a dog bone at the top of the motor in addition to the regular motor mounts. That could be utilized where the brace would go through the center of the shock tower from side to side.
Porcharu
I'm only going to remove the engine side of the firewall. The trunk side will stay stock. I think adding a 1" square tube on the engine side will be a good thing, along with welding the 'weak spot'. I will also add a triangle box section between the shock tower and the long to tie everything together and it will look better to boot.
Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.