Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I want to put the pump under the gas tank near the steering. I know this has been done before. Can anybody lead me to how they mounted it and what I should do with the wires that run to the old location in the engine bay?

Oh heres a picture of the wire connector I refering to just to keep the folks who don't read happy

Click to view attachment
r_towle
I went to Home Depot and found a nice dual wire wrapped in a rubber casing, I think its fire alarm wiring...one is black, one is read.

I took that plug off where it is, crimped on the new wire and ran it up the tunnel and out the tunnel at the front, then into and under the tank through an already existing hole/gromet.

I put the plug on the end.

I figured this way I could put it back if I wanted to later on.

For the pump, get the 75/76 pump which is a 2 port unit...then use the 75/76 mounting cover (which you would need to paint)

You will also need to cut a hole in the front wall between the struts to get you all setup like the 75/76.
This is a part that does need service (the filter does) so I would do it that way unless you want to pull the tank to replace the filter.

Dont forget to paint the edges of the hole you cut so it wont start rusting.

Rich
PanelBilly
I'm eliminating the relay board in the engine bay and oesn't that have the relay for the pump? Would I be better off running wire from the main breaker? Also I'm using carbs, so I'll need to get a lower pressure pump and re-using the connector won't be important.

I've got a 75 parts car and have looked at the access panel. I just hated cutting a hole in the fresh paint. (Well its old paint now, but still "virgin" to me).

Any other good ideas for the pump location?
r_towle
rotary carb pumps are very small.
Under the front anti sway bar does fit.
Passenger side of center there is enough room to fit the pump and filter.
Wiring...well it needs to come on via the key...just wire it up to a keyed fuse, simple and quick, no relay needed.

Do yourself a favor...wrap the antisway bar with a garden hose so it does not tap the tank or the pump...they flutter at low speed...I found that a simple garden hose, sliced on one side the whole length and slipped on the bar makes it nice a quiet.

Rich

Rich
SLITS
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 19 2009, 04:20 PM) *

I'm eliminating the relay board in the engine bay and oesn't that have the relay for the pump? Would I be better off running wire from the main breaker? Also I'm using carbs, so I'll need to get a lower pressure pump and re-using the connector won't be important.

I've got a 75 parts car and have looked at the access panel. I just hated cutting a hole in the fresh paint. (Well its old paint now, but still "virgin" to me).

Any other good ideas for the pump location?

Yes it does have the relay, but you can hard wire the pump to switched power.

The beauty of a relay or switch in the fuel pump power is that in case of a loss of fire (engine running) the pump would shut off.

You can accomplish this with a switch that is accuated by oil pressure. It will have NC & NO contacts. NC side is wired thru the starter so the pump has power on start and NO closes for power during run due to oil pressure. If OP is lost the fuel pump gets cut off.
EdwardBlume
I used the kit they used to sell years ago. The stock pump fit nicely next to the spare, and the directions had me drill holes in the right places and insulate them on the sharp metal...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.